Sponsored by:

Calling All Members in the Northeast

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
sunchaser73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling All Members in the Northeast

Just wondering how our Corvette brothers and sisters in the Northeast are doing in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

Hope everyone is safe and continues to stay safe.

Godspeed
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 AM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Endicott NY here. Just a lot of wind and some rain yesterday. Expected much worse. Today just showers occasionally and some light winds. Drove 400 miles round trip to Buffalo over the weekend to buy a $700 generator at Sears that I didn't have to use (thankfully). All the stores around here were sold out on Friday.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm in southwest NH and we didn't get nearly as much as was anticipated. Strong winds and a fair amount of rain. Don't know of anyone around here who lost power. All in all, just another rainy Monday.
Today is bright, clear and warm.

And how'd you do down in the Carolinas, particularly on the coast?
I hope not to hear about flood damaged C5s.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
sunchaser73
Racer

Some rain and wind over the weekend. Yesterday was fairly nice, although cooler than normal. From what I have read, the Outer Banks got hit the hardest (relatively speaking, of course) and the western part of the state (mountain elevations) was getting some snow...
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Still here in Jersey. Winds were 65 to 85 mph. Lost several trees. Clean up starting.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

For those who went through the worst and need parts to restore your C5 post a list of what you need. If any of my spare parts can help they're yours.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
For those who went through the worst and need parts to restore your C5 post a list of what you need. If any of my spare parts can help they're yours.
Very cool, this idea is worthy of it's own thread!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:12 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

All good in my area of Baltimore. Had lots of rain and wind. I have some small branches down in my back yard. Haven't yet been out to see how others area faired. I know there are some traffic lights out near my neighborhood. Corvette is cozy and tucked away in the garage.

Last edited by meflyfrc; 10-31-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

We got nailed, 92% of the island has no electric, I'm the lucky 8%'s who have. I have no damage at all but neighboring areas got creamed. My family members on the water didn't fare well. When I built my sisters house I raised her property about 3' and I'm glad I did.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 PM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm about 30-45 miles south of boston. No damage. Just wind and rain yesterday, lost power for about a hour. Thanks for asking.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
PSR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The winds were howling here last night. No real damage other than tree limbs and branches. Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

I am glad to see that folks are starting to check in and, fingers crossed, there are no horror stories.

From conversations with friends in the D.C area, it sounds like downed trees and the loss of electric is the biggest concern at present.

Good luck and think safety, while cleaning up!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

50 miles west of Atlantic City here. They took a beating, never lost power here, and it blew right over us. Really not bad, most of the damage was from coastal flooding I believe.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Everthing here is good. Thanks for the concern buddy...Dan
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Coal is King
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2' of snow here wind was up to around 30 mph last night. Typical nor'easter....just typically not in October. Of course the friggin stupid drivers were out in droves this morning. Why would anyone in a 2 wheel drive even attempt to go out in this? I guess to just get 5 minutes down the road and end up in a ditch or guardrail. Very frustrating....maybe wait until the roads melt off a little then give it a whirl, I'm sure they r just trying to get to work, but why not show up a few hours late rather than not at all.

For those around the coast I hope you are ok and able to recover quickly if you suffered damage!

Last edited by Coal is King; 10-30-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Northern MA here and at least where I live and most around me, we all did ok. It was just some wind and a little rain for the most part.

Mostly just some trees down and into some houses but no deaths reported and no fires like in NY/NJ.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling All Members in the Northeast

Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Central PA here. I figured we were in for 3 days of hell, and it turns out this was nothing more than a typical rain storm with some cold weather. Temps never below 40F, got maybe 2.5" of rain in the 3 days. Winds I was expecting 100+ (I live on top of a mountain and usually that means much higher than forecast). Well, there was no winds. If it hit 50mph a few times, I'd be surprised. That's really nothing for where I am. No power outages here or where I work. Had power flicker a lot, but never went out.

According to the weather radar images, the epicenter of the storm passed right over us, and honestly, I figured this was just a retail sales marketing ploy. This was the most overrated storm I've ever seen. The Power company called 3 or 4 times, and sent snailmail and email letters, telling folks to be prepared for 5-10 days without electricity. Nothing.

I live in an area that typically has local flooding which at times is quite severe. When I crossed the river this morning, it wasn't up 6". I'm sure tomorrow it'll be up some, but, the water didn't even cover the weeds in the shallow areas near shore.

No downed trees that I noticed, no power lines downed that I heard of. Central PA got off easy.

My Vette was put away before all this, and unfortunately, my truck had the brake master cylinder take a dump on Friday. Parts just got here today. Good thing I have other vehicles to choose from or my Vette would have been commuting in this mess.

My brother in central NH was out of power for half a day, and out of phones and internet for a while. Actually, he's getting hit by a storm right now as I type this that he says is worse than the hurricane effects of the past few days. (does show a lot of red on the radar)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Mid NY here. Did very well this time. A lot of wind, a lot of rain, no damage to the property (last year's NEster ruined a bunch of trees, this hurricane....nothing down ) Guy to left of me...big tree down across driveway on power line, guy to the right of me several big trees down, guy in front of me...huge tree down and on the house/roof. I must be living right (grateful).

Power was out for three days, telephone pole on street (ifo house) snapped and leaning, never thought they'd have the power back up this fast.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM
sunchaser73
Racer

Originally Posted by guido7834
50 miles west of Atlantic City here. They took a beating, never lost power here, and it blew right over us. Really not bad, most of the damage was from coastal flooding I believe.
I was seeing the same thing on the news. Talked to a friend of mine in Mt. Holly and he said it wasn't bad at all. But then heard from one of my customers in Brooklyn, and he used the words complete devastation. Fortunately, he and the rest of his crew at the power plant were all ok.

Seeing the pictures, videos, and newscasts is a sobering experience...the power of storms never ceases to amaze me.

I hope everyone in the NE continues to stay safe...good luck with the cleanup and recovery.

Quick Reply: Calling All Members in the Northeast