Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victim of the "Tail of the Dragon"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgot to mention--I got a good settlement from the bike rider's insurance company. I'll be shopping for a nice, low mileage garage queen. The wife insists on an automatic so she can drive it. Damn!!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 PM
ngerk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAVette
Forgot to mention--I got a good settlement from the bike rider's insurance company. I'll be shopping for a nice, low mileage garage queen. The wife insists on an automatic so she can drive it. Damn!!
This is great to hear. I'm happy for you. Hopefully this good settlement is weight off of your shoulders, although you seem to have handled all of this very well. I commend you on that. Good luck on your search for a "new" Vette! Question is, will you give in and get an automatic?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by ngerk
This is great to hear. I'm happy for you. Hopefully this good settlement is weight off of your shoulders, although you seem to have handled all of this very well. I commend you on that. Good luck on your search for a "new" Vette! Question is, will you give in and get an automatic?
Dude! I'd love to get another MN6 but if I can live with an auto trans I can get rid of her 2002 Corolla and have just 2 cars in the driveway. My work van and the Vette. Simple as that. We'll see.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 PM
SPDKNGG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolute craziness!! The video sequence is scary! I wanna yell STOP!
Sorry bout the vette..time to get a new one : )
Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 AM
_r2h
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oh lawdy

Name:  wPmUN.png
Views: 15
Size:  361.3 KB

Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by NOLAVette
Dude! I'd love to get another MN6 but if I can live with an auto trans I can get rid of her 2002 Corolla and have just 2 cars in the driveway. My work van and the Vette. Simple as that. We'll see.
Coming from the owner of an automatic, (and a 6spd of another flavor too) do yourself a favor and just get the mn6. I say this even though today I was singing the praises of my auto, which I do like, but, a vette that's gonna be driven by someone who appreciates the advantages of a manual, should have a manual.

Again, nothing against autos, as I own one. But, if you are on the fence, or if you are considering buying what you do not want because 3 times in the next decade, she might want to drive it, just get the manual.

Bout the only reason I didn't get rid of my auto convertible is because it's a c5 convertible and it might end up becoming a 62 retro kit. Gotta say, I LOVE the looks of those...
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 AM
NOLAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Coming from the owner of an automatic, (and a 6spd of another flavor too) do yourself a favor and just get the mn6. I say this even though today I was singing the praises of my auto, which I do like, but, a vette that's gonna be driven by someone who appreciates the advantages of a manual, should have a manual.

Again, nothing against autos, as I own one. But, if you are on the fence, or if you are considering buying what you do not want because 3 times in the next decade, she might want to drive it, just get the manual.

Bout the only reason I didn't get rid of my auto convertible is because it's a c5 convertible and it might end up becoming a 62 retro kit. Gotta say, I LOVE the looks of those...
I may eventually end up with a 6sp. Once the settlement check has arrived we'll sit down and strategize. Up until the accident we had 3 vehicles. We're empty nesters so it's only me and the wife. We have a mini-van I use for work and a 10 year old Toyota Corolla (her car). We're thinking about an automatic so she can use it for her very short daily work commute.That clutch scares the hell out of her, so in this scenario the 6sp is out of the question. I love running through those close ratio gears so I know I'll miss the manual. But my left leg will be happy when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

With the prices of C5's today, why not get both?
One for you and one for the wife.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Wow, that happened just a few days before we were there. Just before the curve in the picture, some moron on a crotch rocket came around a corner at a high rate of speed over the double line and his left elbow hit my mirror...scared the living crap out of me. He hit it hard enough to fold the mirror in slightly and the couple with us (behind us) said he almost hit them, too.
Too bad about both vehicles...that road is such fun to drive, it's a shame when something like this happens. There was a 62 year old woman lost her life (on a bike) the day we were there.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 PM
TNX ZORA
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you're getting an acceptable settlement! Consider getting an MN6 and put it in neutral while in traffic in order to save your left leg. That's what I do. I even did it with my auto Trans Am.

My wife is also hesitant about driving a 6-speed but she knows that what makes a sports car a sports car is a stick shift. She likes sports cars so she makes up her mind to deal with a 6-speed.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Old 11-04-2012, 04:54 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 99mallett
Wow, that happened just a few days before we were there. Just before the curve in the picture, some moron on a crotch rocket came around a corner at a high rate of speed over the double line and his left elbow hit my mirror...scared the living crap out of me. He hit it hard enough to fold the mirror in slightly and the couple with us (behind us) said he almost hit them, too.
Too bad about both vehicles...that road is such fun to drive, it's a shame when something like this happens. There was a 62 year old woman lost her life (on a bike) the day we were there.

Man love the look of the car it is low.. Robert
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Drove the tail of the Dragon last year. With all the bikes, it was a pain. Either it's the sport bikes running wild, and not staying in their lane, or it's the Harleys crusing at 10 MPH under the speed limit, holding everyone up that just wants to enjoy a little spirted driving(but not being stupid), or the really stupid people on their bicycles, at 5 MPH pedaling up hill, with their butts sticking straight up. I almost took two of them out when I was rounding a sharp right hand hairpin with the bluff on my right. Didn't see them until I was right on them. Luckily, I wasn't pushing it that hard at that time, and there was no one in the opposing lane when I had to swerve into it to miss the two idiots on their bicycles.

This past fall, we found some great roads in West Virginia, east of I-79 that have all the curvesthat the Tail of the Dragon has, but is longer, and almost no traffic.

We have some great roads just south of us in northern Arkansas, but they are also cult roads for the bikers. Weekdays are okay, but weekends, best to stay home, as that's when the bikers are out.

Quick Reply: Victim of the "Tail of the Dragon"