Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 annual maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Flyskate
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I must be the exception to the rule..... Highly modified 1998 C5. Maintenance cost, annual oil change,.......... and a set of tires so far.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM
azer666
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles will you be driving each year? The cost of repair will be somewhat proportional to that.

If you will be driving using your head and not street racing I would say go for it! Live the dream
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM
C5vet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys. I would go for it but i read about the ebcm's failing on c5's earlier than '01....... How often does it happen to them???and why?? Does anyone know?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM
HBbadb0y
Advanced

I know you want a vette, but you should not get one at this time. When I was 16, I had a Toyota 4 cyl pickup and I would spin the wheels on that weak thing all the way to school. I got an integra at 17 and was pretty stupid and reckless (although I never had an accident).

Point being is that those cars I was in and a lot more forgiving since they had no power. Consider this advice as well as everyone elses. It will save you a lot of money.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Xjetao
Advanced

I got my c5 back when I was 18, mind you I only have had REAL problems with my car after I started making 500-600rwhp. Are you buying the car to be fast? Drive? Mine pretty much serves as a drag strip car so I have liability and pay 10$ monthly for my insurance. ITS AN AWESOME CAR TO HAVE YOUNG, I'm already working on my 3rd vette and I'll be 22 in January lol (I've got a C3 now too) if you gotta work a little harder to have the car, and afford the gas and stuff, do it you wont regret it.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM
azer666
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5vet
Ok guys. I would go for it but i read about the ebcm's failing on c5's earlier than '01....... How often does it happen to them???and why?? Does anyone know?
I have a 98 convertible and nothing about the EBCM has failed. Doesnt seem to happen often at all from what I have read but if it happens you have to find a spare one from a salvage or something. Im not to worried about it. Thats just my opinion
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by azer666
I have a 98 convertible and nothing about the EBCM has failed. Doesnt seem to happen often at all from what I have read but if it happens you have to find a spare one from a salvage or something. Im not to worried about it. Thats just my opinion

Don't make me go into the list of problems by year.
They are all good cars. Buy a good low mileage one and you shouldn't get hurt.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM
C5vet
Intermediate

I'm getting it just to drive, not to drive fast. And any known problems that occur frequently on 1999 frc's?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm getting it just to drive, not to drive fast. And any known problems that occur frequently on 1999 frc's?
Yeah, people buy them promising not to drive fast and that's the first thing they break.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Dadman1950
Racer

I went to a high performance driving school for a week already just incase I end up getting one, I REALLY REALLY want one, I've wanted a c5 since I was 11.
Ypu have good taste and if it is a car that you have always wanted then go for it. When my son was 16 we got him a 911 porsche because he always wanted one and being a car enthusiast anyway I supported his choice. He did have to pay some pretty high premiums but not too bad because he was also a very good student. To make a long story short that car inspired him to learn how to maintain and rebuild cars. He went on to get his engineering masters and now is a chief engineer for a major American (BYW) car company. In his case what most would consider an extravagant choice turned out to be a lifetime career.
Go for it - learn all you can and keep your grades up and enjoy driving it. BTW IMHO the C5 FRC and Z06 is the best looking corvette ever.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Raiku898
Pro

Originally Posted by Dadman1950
Ypu have good taste and if it is a car that you have always wanted then go for it. When my son was 16 we got him a 911 porsche because he always wanted one and being a car enthusiast anyway I supported his choice. He did have to pay some pretty high premiums but not too bad because he was also a very good student. To make a long story short that car inspired him to learn how to maintain and rebuild cars. He went on to get his engineering masters and now is a chief engineer for a major American (BYW) car company. In his case what most would consider an extravagant choice turned out to be a lifetime career.
Go for it - learn all you can and keep your grades up and enjoy driving it. BTW IMHO the C5 FRC and Z06 is the best looking corvette ever.
That's awesome. Sounds like he has had a great career. I am envious. I do hvac design now. I really want to get into automotive design... Mechanical engineers are wasted on sizing ductwork.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Raiku898
Pro

Originally Posted by s'noJob
Yeah, people buy them promising not to drive fast and that's the first thing they break.
I'm glad I never promised not to drive fast.

Quick Reply: C5 annual maintenance?