Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the difference from fender measuring and correctly measuring car height....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 AM
c5sean85
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default the difference from fender measuring and correctly measuring car height....

so my car is lowered no bolts up front and longer in the rear i originally measured the fender heights and counted threads on the rear bolts so there were the same and from the gaps in the fenders it looked even to me...

then i figured i wanted to correctly measure the car height by the jack puck area and the lower control arm area and i quickly learned the car was setting sideways.. when i was finished my left rear bolt has 6 more threads showing than the right.. the car measures correctly now but i learned that counting threads on rear bolts and measuring fender lip height is not a way to make sure your car is even... am i correct?

the car has all new shocks so its not sitting on any old shocks btw

Last edited by c5sean85; 10-12-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c5sean85
but i learned that counting threads on rear bolts and measuring fender lip height is not a way to make sure your car is even... am i correct?
Correct. Fenders are rarely consistently even.

Measure at J and K.
most of the time having the same number of threads on each side will be close enough to make both sides measure evenly at J and K.
When I lowered mine I drove it around for a couple days before I measured.

Last edited by dblerman; 10-12-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:28 AM
c5sean85
Pro

Originally Posted by dblerman

Measure at J and K.
most of the time having the same number of threads on each side will be close enough to make both sides measure evenly at J and K.
did you measure at the underside of the fiberglass rocker panel or the frame area underneath?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dblerman

Measure at J and K.
this

if you really want to get down you can have a friend measure the car with you in it. find out how much sag you have, probably somewhere around an eighth and set the drivers side right height higher than the passenger

next best thing to using real scales
Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 AM
nmacdonald
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know what the base or stock height should be?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a question. My car is not lowered and the rear lowering bolts have never been touched but the passenger side bolts has 2 threads left and the drivers side has alot. Ive been wanting to lower it but Im kind of afraid to mess up the stance and the level of the car.
because I'm not starting with the same amount of threads on each lowering bolt. Or shouldn't I worry because I'll be taking measurements anyways? Sorry to highjack your thread OP
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by c5sean85
did you measure at the underside of the fiberglass rocker panel or the frame area underneath?
Frame. Rocker panels can be just as uneven as the fenders.

Originally Posted by nmacdonald
Do you know what the base or stock height should be?
Base, FE1, FE3, FE4---------J Height (Curb)-----------K Height (Curb)
Service Preferred-----------153 mm (6.02 in)---------158 mm (6.22 in)
Service Allowable-----------153 mm (6.02 in)---------158 mm (6.22 in)

Originally Posted by slvr bulit
I have a question. My car is not lowered and the rear lowering bolts have never been touched but the passenger side bolts has 2 threads left and the drivers side has alot. Ive been wanting to lower it but Im kind of afraid to mess up the stance and the level of the car.
because I'm not starting with the same amount of threads on each lowering bolt. Or shouldn't I worry because I'll be taking measurements anyways? Sorry to highjack your thread OP
First thing I would do is measure the height of your car with its CURRENT settings.. It's possible it's not even as it currently sits. Then if you decide to lower it, just measure a few days after and make any adjustments as necessary. No need to worry, just measure and you'll be fine.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found my passengers side to be a little higher (like 1/4") than the drivers side. I recently got an alignment though and cant change anything until I need one again. A minor adjustment like that is not worth having to go in to fix the camber.

Last edited by NukeC5; 10-12-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM
c5sean85
Pro

after all my adjusting the driver side of my car sits about 1/4-3/8 of a inch lower than the passenger from points k and j............ FML

Last edited by c5sean85; 10-12-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
c5sean85
Pro

Originally Posted by NukeC5
I found my passengers side to be a little higher (like 1/4") than the drivers side. I recently got an alignment though and cant changer anything until I need one again. I minor adjustment like that is not worth having to go in to fix the camber.
mine sits higher on the passenger also... my guess is that it always has had a driver in the car for how ever many thousands of miles so suspension will sit that way... i have all new shocks so i cant blame that
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
nmacdonald
Instructor

May be obvious to many, but why does an alignment need to be done when lowering using stock bolts?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nmacdonald
May be obvious to many, but why does an alignment need to be done when lowering using stock bolts?
Any change in height changes the camber positively or negatively. This will cause the inside or outside of the tire to wear faster than the rest of the tire. It also affects traction.

In most cases people are lowering not raising. Lowering creates negative camber and people that do not get an alignment will find that the insides of the tire bald way before the rest of the tread.

Last edited by NukeC5; 10-12-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Any change in height changes the camber positively or negatively. This will cause the inside or outside of the tire to wear faster than the rest of the tire. It also affects traction.

In most cases people are lowering not raising. Lowering creates negative camber and people that do not get an alignment will find that the insides of the tire bald way before the rest of the tread.
this absolutely happens

but

it's not the real culprit for tire wear when lowering. toe is

when you lower the car the wheels toe out. now a little toe out in the front is a good thing, it aids turn in. out back it will make the car squirly. when you lower a car it drastically changes the toe which effects handling and how the tires wear.

set the front toe anywhere from zero to -.03 out each side with the rear somewhere around .05 in, possibly more if you want a really stable ride.

the only thing i would never do is toe in the front. absolutely kills steering feel and really slows the car down regarding handling
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 PM
nmacdonald
Instructor

Thanks. That helps me understand some of the dynamics involved.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

How level is the surface that you are measuring from? You should do this on a level surface like an alignment rack. Also, the factory recommended method is to measure the distance from the front bolt center of the lower A arm to the bottom of the ball joint. This way you eliminate any variances in frame manufacturing tolerances. You will need a special tool to make this adjustment. You can make on with a small level.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01vetter
Also, the factory recommended method is to measure the distance from the front bolt center of the lower A arm to the bottom of the ball joint. This way you eliminate any variances in frame manufacturing tolerances. You will need a special tool to make this adjustment. You can make on with a small level.
This is the Z height measurement. The tolerance from factory spec is something like +/- 13mm. As long as your J and K measurements are close to even you will almost ALWAYS be within spec for Z height. If it's not, there is something wrong with your suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To the difference from fender measuring and correctly measuring car height....

Quick Reply: the difference from fender measuring and correctly measuring car height....