2003 Vert/Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 2003 Vert/Coupe

Wife and I are getting pretty serious about a 2003 Vette, I turn 50 this week and she is wanting to help me find a 50th for my 50th.

We have found several, been looking of and on for couple years, but trying to decide between coupe or convertible

It will not be a daily driver and for most part just a garage queen that we take out on weekends but there will be times where she may drive to work

Both of my kids have had convertibles(Miata, 2 Eclipse Spyders and 1 99 Camaro) and all were/are nice but you still get little road noise in all of them(Miata had a removable hard top) but not bad and never had any problems with leaks

Would like some first hand information on the noise level in the 2003 convertible

I honestly love the look of the vert but worry if Wife ends up driving it to work some that she may like the coupe better.

Also will take it on weekend trips to the coast where we have a house and wonder about the road noise on the interstate (4 hour trip)

Also my last question, do ALL coupes have the removable top or do some have a solid top. If we do get a coupe I would at least like the removable targa top

Thanks for any advice, very nervous about a purchase like this and by Wife is 100% behind me and pushing me/us to do this. Like she says we not getting any younger. Lot of our friends have Harley's and while I like them I really have no interest in a HD and Wife would not ride on back of one so this is "our mid life crisis"

Thanks again
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 PM
1SC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done a direct comparison, but I can say that the noise seems to come from the trunk area due to tire noise and not through the top. They do sell dividers/noise curtains to help, and the standard Goodyears are noisier than other tires.
My guess is that the coup is quieter but the verts are just GREAT on a nice day.

Either way your going to love a 50th!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are 2 "coupes", the one with the fixed roof FRC (Fixed Roof Coupe) and the removable roof Coupe.

The FRC only comes with a stick shift. i.e. no automatic transmission available.

The Coupe comes in stickshift or auto and has a removable roof panel......both body color and "clear" black tint roof panels are available, and can be interchanged, or the vehicle can be driven without a roof panel at all.

The convertible has a manual soft-top which can be raised or lowered in just a few seconds.

The convertible is obviously noisier with the roof down, as is the coupe with the roof panel removed. The coupe is quieter than the convertible when the roof is up/installed.

The Convertible and FRC have a decent sized trunk. The Coupe has a very large storage area under the rear deck lid.

Some say the coupe has the best of both worlds as the roof panel(s) can be installed or not. Some people swear by a convertible.

Your best bet would be to test drive all versions (although I'm assuming you will not want a stick shift FRC)

Here are links to specs on all years of Corvette.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/

http://www.web-cars.com/corvette/1953.php

Last edited by allred; 10-10-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

with allred. Plus if carrying a lot of stuff is a priority, get the coupe. Tons of room in the back under the hatch.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a 2003 vert, road noise with roof up has to be the lowest of all convertables (that is what GM states, I agree) of course there still is road noise but easy to live with. No issues with water leakage on my car. Easy top up/down manual. Manual roof is 200#s less weight and no mechanical issues than powered roofs. Truly an gorgeous car with roof down and up with the small back window looks neat too. Remember verts have a much better resale value, if you are only driving your Corvette in nice weather it would be silly to buy a coupe as you will be envying every convertable going by stuck in your FRC. Still lots of trunk space with roof down and plenty with roof up. Solid, solid car with hydoformed frame absoultely no body flex! My suggestion go with the convertable and dont worry about the wife driving the Vette, she will be fine with a convertable I am thinking. Not all coupes have targa roofs there is the targa coupe and the fixed roof coupe FRC( that has to be the best looking of all models in my humble opinion) Good luck and I am sure many other members will join in and give their .02cents. Greetings, Rob PS. remember when you buy a picture posted is a MUST!

Last edited by El original; 10-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks allred, you are correct in that I do want an automatic. Wife can not drive a stick and has no interest in learning and I really would prefer an automatic as well

Thanks for the information on the FRC and them being stick shift, that will help eliminate those in a hurry

Decisions decisions decisions but ya'll have given me the information that will assist us

THANKS AGAIN and sorry for all the "basic" questions
Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM
allred
Drifting

tprice, if you fill in your profile details with at least your location you may gain some helpful assistance from forum members who are close to you.

You never know, there may be members in your very immediate neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

I was very hesitant in buying my convertible, as its the first one I've owned, but I do not regret it one bit.

Mine isn't a daily driver, and it if was I probably would have gotten a coupe instead.

I drive mine with the top down 90% of the time. It is much much quieter than I expected with the top down (everyone who has ridden in it has said the same thing also). I don't have any other convertibles to compare it to, but I sure am satisfied. C5 corvettes were designed as a convertible from an engineering standpoint, so the frame is very solid. Much better than F-body convertibles which were more of an afterthought.

I absolutely love it. A lot of people say a coupe is the best of both worlds, but I think it pales in comparison to having the top down in a convertible.

Also, convertibles are a little more expensive. I think they're generally about $2K more expensive in the used market, but remember that it was a $6,000 factory option to have it convertible.

I say go for it, the wife will love it!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

In a 03 coupe, they all have removable tops or a targa top as they're called.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
RealmSteel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my Vert, the plan was to buy a removable hard top. Since I went over budget on the car, we never bought the hard top.
I drive mine every day all year unless there is snow or ice.

I do get a leak on the driver's side occasionally, but may have tracked it down to a clogged A-piller weatherstrip rain channel. I keep forgetting to rod it out until it rains again. LOL.

I've had a couple other convertible cars and never really liked them until I got my '01 C5.
I put the top down every day it's above 70. It's so nice. One thing I noticed was on a light traffic morning you can hear all the birds in the trees while going down the street.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
Wife and I are getting pretty serious about a 2003 Vette, I turn 50 this week and she is wanting to help me find a 50th for my 50th.

We have found several, been looking of and on for couple years, but trying to decide between coupe or convertible

It will not be a daily driver and for most part just a garage queen that we take out on weekends but there will be times where she may drive to work

Both of my kids have had convertibles(Miata, 2 Eclipse Spyders and 1 99 Camaro) and all were/are nice but you still get little road noise in all of them(Miata had a removable hard top) but not bad and never had any problems with leaks

Would like some first hand information on the noise level in the 2003 convertible

I honestly love the look of the vert but worry if Wife ends up driving it to work some that she may like the coupe better.

Also will take it on weekend trips to the coast where we have a house and wonder about the road noise on the interstate (4 hour trip)

Also my last question, do ALL coupes have the removable top or do some have a solid top. If we do get a coupe I would at least like the removable targa top

Thanks for any advice, very nervous about a purchase like this and by Wife is 100% behind me and pushing me/us to do this. Like she says we not getting any younger. Lot of our friends have Harley's and while I like them I really have no interest in a HD and Wife would not ride on back of one so this is "our mid life crisis"

Thanks again
If you guys are going to want to cruise on weekend trips you want a Vert. If you are going to get hooked on pure performance and track the car then it is different. Personally, I think a vert is the best combination of a driver's car and a cruising car.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Go test drive a coupe and a vert. Drive them with tops up/on and tops down/off. If you find road noise to be annoying in either check to see if the car has Goodyear run flat tires, they are very noisy especially if they are old. I didnt realize how noisy til i replaced mine with Michelin runflats . i bought a vert and love it. To me a vert IS the best of both worlds. I took a 2800 mile trip in my 03 vert this year. When I was on the highway doing 80 mph I normally had the top up. When cruising through the Blackhills and Badlands of South Dakota I had the top down. Nothing like it, it was great. I've owned both a coupe and a vert. I recommend the vert, but that's what I like. Go drive both and I suspect it won't take long for you to decide which you like the best.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a 03, but get the Vert!! It's the only way to go especially as a weekend driver.

Got mine when I turned 50. Couldn't be happier.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I believe the 50th AE Coupe is the way to go. Besides the exterior and interior colors (IMO) being the perfect combination, you have the best of both worlds because of the removeable top. You can enjoy the openness of a convertible or the quiet comfort of a coupe. You have to drive at least one of either style to make an educated evaluation, otherwise you will fall victim to other's opinions. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The coupes all have the removeble top, you have much more space in the back if you take a trip, much quiter, and you have the best of both worlds, top on or top off. Mine is a 2000 blk 6 speed coupe. To each is or her owen. But i love the coupe. I have had 3 vetts. And they all have been coupes.(67-76-00). Good luck on your purchase. Gino
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 AM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have both the coupe and the vert ...... around town both about the same with the tops off ..... though I really like to openness of the vert .... noise wise //about the same but obviously more exposed in the vert .....
on the hiway .. I prefer the vert .... the wind inside the couple at higher speeds gets a little annoying ..... and I was totally surprised how nice it is setting down inside the vert at higher speeds .... tho I really like my coupe if i had to choose ... i'd pick the vert.
Again ... you should take a drive in both and see what you like best .....

Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Get one of each.

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 Vert/Coupe

Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM
rangerphil
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was never a convertible fan over the years until our purchase this summer of a 2002 in Magnetic Red. My wife always wanted one and I must admit that I am now a believer. Quietest convertible with the top up that I have ever been in. With the top down, you don't get the wind buffeting like we had in our targa top 1992 corvette. My wife can take the top up or down in under a minute by herself. Removal of the targa top is a two person operation...at least it was for us. Pic attached of our 2002.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

You have to test drive both the coupe and convert before you decide. I've owned both and prefer the convert, noise factor is lower in the coupe, but the convert is much quieter than others I've owned. Shopping around is key, look at at least a dozen, all things being equal the AE will cost you about 2 - 3 grand more, but it is worth it in my opinion. There are pictures of both on my profile page if you want to look. Good Luck
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

In my quest to buy a C5, I was originally looking for a targa. I came across a decent deal on a convertible and went with it. I am very happy with the convertible. Nothing like rollin with the openess of the top down and listening to the exhaust.

Quick Reply: 2003 Vert/Coupe