Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just put Hankook Ventus v12 evo's on my car....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM
srooper1980
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am waiting for the Kumho's Ecsta ASX's to wear out on mine (total JUNK) so that I can put a set of V12's on it..

The V12's on my 02 WS6 were good for 1.74 to 1.79 60 ft times

Last edited by srooper1980; 05-01-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
slj455
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer
Default question

wondering if anyone can compare noise level between Hancooks and the Michelin runflats?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM
maukavette
Pro

I like mine fine too. Put them on a few months ago when Discount Tires had the $100 VISA card and $80 AMEX card rebates. I notice like everyone else that they are much quieter. On the other hand I am kind of dense on their feel, probably because I don't push them very hard. They do feel softer in turns. When I got them installed, I had new Orange Electronics sensors (bought online) put in too. The tire store put them in without testing first, and it turns out they won't communicate with the DIC. So I received the wrong ones. I just left them in and now always get the warning to check the TPMS system, ARG. I just press reset. And I check pressure the old fashioned way...before taking her out of the garage. I do love how quiet these tires are compared to the stock runflats.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Raiku898
Pro

Hankooks are great for the price. I had them on my M3. Found the sidewall a little soft. That said, I will probably put them on the vette next. You can't beat performance for the $$$. Still way better than the gy run flats on the car now. I would go with Michelin pilot super sports if you are willing to spend a little more.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
phrankw
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slj455
wondering if anyone can compare noise level between Hancooks and the Michelin runflats?
Michelin RF = Standing next to a railroad track with a train roaring by at 50MPH.

Hankook = Sitting in a closet while the same train passes by 20 miles away.

In all seriousness, the last time I drove my Mich RF's I was on 183 heading from Ft. Worth to Dallas. The tires were so loud I told my wife that was it on the RF's.

I haven't had the problem since I switched. The first thing I noticed was the roar of my engine when I took off. I truly haven't heard that sweet sound since I bought my car. As far as traction goes, they are outstanding in rain or dry. I've owned them for 2 months and I'll let you know after 2 years.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Raiku898
Pro

Originally Posted by phrankw
Michelin RF = Standing next to a railroad track with a train roaring by at 50MPH.

Hankook = Sitting in a closet while the same train passes by 20 miles away.

In all seriousness, the last time I drove my Mich RF's I was on 183 heading from Ft. Worth to Dallas. The tires were so loud I told my wife that was it on the RF's.

I haven't had the problem since I switched. The first thing I noticed was the roar of my engine when I took off. I truly haven't heard that sweet sound since I bought my car. As far as traction goes, they are outstanding in rain or dry. I've owned them for 2 months and I'll let you know after 2 years.
Good to know. There are some interstates where my runflats reverberate and it's hard to hear the radio.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Love mine! Welcome to the V12 Club!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:01 PM
jerrys vette
Advanced

put mine on 200 miles ago---night and day diff----cannot find anything bad about them--don't want to either. had orig rf's. they're crap---
bought a large can of fix -a-flat, which says on the can it will not harm
sensors.---good enough for me as i haven't had a flat in---hell, can't remember when. can't beat them for the money. my 04 is now a pleasure to drive.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by mooney201
I am on my first set, and my only complaint is that if you accelerate hard in first or second gear, and have a supercharger the tires go up in smoke.
LOL!! Pretty common for all tires, not just V12's

Originally Posted by DvX
not really any traction! i had nitto 555s on my previous ride that i liked much better.

i guess if your only measure is price they are alright.
Nitto's are pretty good but only if your only measure is traction.
Most of us don't need all out traction without regard to cost. V12's are a better all around option. My '03 vert is very happy with them. My '10 GS will get them IF they come out in the correct size when I need them.

JMHO of course
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Only a couple of months into mine but I love 'em so far!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mooney201
I am on my first set, and my only complaint is that if you accelerate hard in first or second gear, and have a supercharger the tires go up in smoke.
re11 also comes in stock sizes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 AM
C5 targa
8th Gear

I just purchased a set of of Hancook V12’s from discount tires, December of 2012. I was running Nitto Invos 305/30/19 on my vette. I was trying to upgrade to Bridgestone pole position s-04 but the special order was unpredictable, so I decided to cough up the cash for some real tires and buy pilot super sports. The problem was all the tires DOT numbers were around 3years old. I didn’t want to pay full price for a tire with half its shelf life gone. So back to the V12’s.
My Invos were absolutely excellent for 25,000 miles with perfect wear, running them at 30 PSI. They had impeccable grip in the dry, with very firm sidewalls. The rubber never squealed but I could break them loose with ease off the line. The tires had a slight drone at 70 MPH and were hard on road bumps but had crisp precise lane changes. I had very high confidence in corners. Driving with the last thousand miles the performance degraded by about 50% which made me have to swap them out. The rears got twitchy and the fronts had pronounced Dive in and wandered in the grooves in the road. I do think in retrospect that it was caused more from the back tires wandering. I had a treadsep on the inside of the right rear so I wouldn’t go over 70 MPH. That brings me to the brand new hancookV12’s.
As soon as I left the tire shop, realizing that I needed to heat up the tires first, I punched it anyway and the vette drifted back and forth for about 5 car lengths with the tires squealing. I made it to the freeway on ramp and punched it and had the same results but worse. The tires started screaming as I hit second gear. I was very alarmed since my invos never made that noise. As I got up to speed on the freeway I switched lanes and it felt like the body was rolling as I tried switching lanes abruptly. I looked down at my tire sensors and they said I had 25 PSI left rear, 26 PSI right rear, 27 PSI both fronts. The car drove like the roll bars were disconnected and the tires were very low on air. Which they actually were. I couldn’t believe how horrible the car drove. I eventually added air to the usual 30 PSI. Handling improved to normal driving status.
The tires are still no comparison to the Nitto Invos. I can’t even believe, and I didn’t believe before I bought them, that Car and Driver could say they were rated number two to the invos rating of number eight on their list.
The good news about the Hancook is that they are very smooth, quiet, and comfortable. They take bumps so well its feels like you’re driving a Cadillac…you know, like a passenger car tire. They in no way inspire confidence in driving a corvette. I worry about over steer and crashing, unless I’m driving in the city or on the freeway, but no cornering.
My only beef about these tires, since they are the cheapest tire you can get in a 305/30/19, is that people keep saying they are better than invos! That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. Perhaps they work better in a premium passenger car like a Benz or Beemer or maybe G35,37. Hopefully these comments will help anyone deciding to buy these tires over invos.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 targa
They in no way inspire confidence in driving a corvette. I worry about over steer and crashing, unless I’m driving in the city or on the freeway, but no cornering.
Don't drive like an idiot and you won't have to worry about crashing.

It will be just like that traction control thread all over again except this time it will be "Hankooks caused me to lose control and wreck my car...can I sue someone?"
Old 12-22-2012, 03:45 AM
C5 targa
8th Gear

Thanks for the tip. I knew that as soon as i put theses comments on here, there would be someone that wouldnt take them seriously. The purpose of the comment, and thanks for reading it, was to illustrate the difference in the two tires in extreme conditions. I thrashed tires in the same manner as the invos to see what the difference would be. I wondered if they would be similar, but there is no comparison bete=ween the two. If you drive your corvette like an average car you will fall in love with the Hancooks. they are a pleasure to ride on. If on the other hand you have a modified corvette and are aggressive and push the tires hard, they dont come close to the performance of the Invos. It is perplexing to me how V12's get such rave reviews when they are junk. People are always begging to find out if they are any good because the price is so good. So when Car and Driver says they came in 2nd place and the only other available tire at a descent price is the Invo and they rate it 8th, i feel a responsibility to let as many people know what i found the differences to be.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could those of you who are on your second sets of the Hankooks comment on the kind of mileage that you got out of the first sets?
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport AS and love them, have just shy of 40,000 miles on them, will probably get at least 50,000 from them, but they are expensive. Would be interested to hear how the Hankooks hold up in the long run.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by DvX
not really any traction! i had nitto 555s on my previous ride that i liked much better.

i guess if your only measure is price they are alright.
I have the Nitto 555's as well - - and about $50/tire less at Discount Tire . . .higher wear rating FWIW. These certainly sound like a good tire- it'd be great to hear from more people that have had both to compare long term handling and mileage.

Last edited by CQRT; 12-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

Do they come in Z06 sizes 17 x 265 on the front and 18 x 295 on the rear?

The Big Dog

Get notified of new replies

To Just put Hankook Ventus v12 evo's on my car....

Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DFOR
Thanks for posting. Always hear people having good things to say about them.

Can't wait to get rid of my original 8 yr. old runflats. I know that my noisy Goodyears are keeping me from driving the car more often.

Need to start checking out prices locally.
I disliked my runcraps...I really like my Hancooks...get them ASAP
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 PM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
+1
Had mine for almost a year now and still loving them
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I have them on my M3 and love them, sadly they do not make wider then 255 in the 17" (that's on the rear on my '95 M3) and that's skinnier than I want on the front of my Z06. I'll have to move into 18/19 sizes.

C&D did a Tire Test about 3-4 years ago, 8 tires vs the long time fav PS1. The V12 came in 2nd IIRC behind the Dunlop Star Direzza. (and both were much better then the PS1) The cars used were 3500lb BMW 328's...

Quick Reply: Just put Hankook Ventus v12 evo's on my car....