C5 Headlight Project: Opinions on design

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Headlight Project: Opinions on design

I have finished my C4 headlight project, so I am bored again. I am working on a upgraded system for the C5 headlamps now, so I am asking for opinions. I want to keep any system I design completely DOT legal, I know there are some cool systems out there, but I assure you, many are not DOT legal.

Some basic DOT (FVMSS) rules:
-No more than 2 Low beam and 2 High beam (eliminates making a system with dual low or dual high on each side)
-Low beam must be outermost headlamps
-Must be certified to meet FVMSS standards and be conspicuously labeled DOT
-Must use filament that was used for certification(basically, if you want to use HIDs, you must certify headlamp with HIDs)
-Basic maximum and minimum light intensities at certain test points

There are additional rules and many more details, but I just wanted to sum up the salient points. I basically want to create a system that works flawlessly within the confines of the law. Some recent publications indicate there may be crackdowns on illegal HID systems in the near future.

Now for the basic plan:
I am looking to design a headlamp kit that replaces the original bulb with high quality projector headlamps, alters the opening to be lower profile and includes a updated cover that brings the whole unit together like a fine piece of art. I am designing the basic system over the next two weeks and expect to have a prototype version by the end of October. I want opinions on design and thumbs up or thumbs down. I have multiple options for manufacturing(hand layup, thermoforming, injection molding, etc). Here is a photoshop picture of what I envision. It is a open headlamp with Hella 90mm headlamps. Carbon fiber is also an option if enough people want it. I have only thought briefly about price range, but for halogen I am trying to stay close to $500($600 carbon fiber).
Name:  C5_headlight.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  43.6 KB
I am also looking for a couple C5 owners for initial testing and feedback. I am near Jacksonville FL, so the closer the better. Then I can assist with any installation or modification.

Last edited by blr33439; 10-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM
c5sean85
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the design, only thing i would like to see if i dont buy radioflyers headlight are to keep them as low profile as possible. lower than what is in a rough draft above if possible... any height opening estimates? i really cant stand pop ups but if they were slim enough id probably go for it..
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
c5sean85
Pro

have you considered a fixed headlight? non pop up
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5sean85
i like the design, only thing i would like to see if i dont buy radioflyers headlight are to keep them as low profile as possible. lower than what is in a rough draft above if possible... any height opening estimates? i really cant stand pop ups but if they were slim enough id probably go for it..
Right now I am looking at using 90mm headlamps. To get full exposure, the housings will open at least 5 inches. I think that will allow about 1.5-2 inches lower profile. I am also looking at some 120mm headlamps because I may be able to get DOT certifiable HID(expensive so I am doing some research). Another option is to get 60mm projectors(not sure if they will fit, but I can do some checking in 3D CAD.

As for the fixed headlamp question, I started a thread a few days ago, but the reception has been less than warm. You can see on my profile that I designed a C4 fixed system recently. I am still considering a fixed system for the C5s, but initial production setup is expensive due to the cost of steel injection molds. I estimate that I would need about 50 initial orders to break even. If you know 50 people that want fixed C5 headlights, let me know. The price would probably be about $800 like the C4 system, and fully DOT legal. Radioflyer needs a DOT label on his lenses in addition to his own certification that the headlamps meet FVMSS with the acrylic cover. Breathless needs the same thing for their cover. I kept it simple without a acrylic cover. I like the bare look anyways.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I think it might look better if the inside molding was slightly recessed from the front of the lights. I also think it would look cool in clear plastic with chrome behind it rather than body color.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 PM
c5sean85
Pro

Originally Posted by blr33439
Right now I am looking at using 90mm headlamps. To get full exposure, the housings will open at least 5 inches. I think that will allow about 1.5-2 inches lower profile. I am also looking at some 120mm headlamps because I may be able to get DOT certifiable HID(expensive so I am doing some research). Another option is to get 60mm projectors(not sure if they will fit, but I can do some checking in 3D CAD.

As for the fixed headlamp question, I started a thread a few days ago, but the reception has been less than warm. You can see on my profile that I designed a C4 fixed system recently. I am still considering a fixed system for the C5s, but initial production setup is expensive due to the cost of steel injection molds. I estimate that I would need about 50 initial orders to break even. If you know 50 people that want fixed C5 headlights, let me know. The price would probably be about $800 like the C4 system, and fully DOT legal. Radioflyer needs a DOT label on his lenses in addition to his own certification that the headlamps meet FVMSS with the acrylic cover. Breathless needs the same thing for their cover. I kept it simple without a acrylic cover. I like the bare look anyways.
i like the bare look also. i subscribed to this thread if you ever decide to do fixed lights. i wouldnt be interested in the pop ups. but i do like your fixed version
Old 09-30-2012, 11:29 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JWM Motoring has produced a lower opening HID projector headlight system. Quite few forum members have them (including me). You will find info in the thread below. I doubt there is a market for two such similar light systems. There is also another similar light called the "Velumen" made in Germany and sold by some vendors:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...hread-2-a.html
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a picture with 60mm headlamps. Not the best photoshop, but I am improving.

Here is the picture in 90mm.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
0RPP_Corvette
Former Vendor

We have finally completed laser scanning for the original C5 headlight housing. We are testing fitment of various headlamp options in CAD. Hopefully the 60mm projectors will be a good fit. We are DOT testing a HID version of 60mm projectors, so they will be the best option. If it does not say DOT, it is not legal. If it says DOT, the company that is manufacturing it is responsible for meeting DOT requirements.

We are fairly confident that we will have a DOT compliant HID system in the next couple months. For this project, we would like to make a lower profile opening, improved light output and better overall appearance. The pictures above are just photoshop examples. We should have better pictures in CAD in the next few weeks.

Lastly, we want to keep the price well below $750. We will have a better estimate once the design is more complete and we know the size of molds required.

Thanks,
Brandon
www.riceperformanceproducts.com
rppcorvette2@gmail.com
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't know how it could be done but I've always liked the big plexiglass covered round lights of the Ferrari's and Lola's of the 60's.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't fit at all with the design philosophy of the C5.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I just noticed what "RPP" stands for in your website link.

Is that someone's last name or do you guys have a sense of humor?
Old 11-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by blr33439
Here is a picture with 60mm headlamps. Not the best photoshop, but I am improving.

Here is the picture in 90mm.
You're not going to get them much lower than straight horizontal on the headlight covers. To do so would require canting the light units off level with the stock c5 bucket, more trouble than its worth IMO. I have a set of the JWM's and level on the headlight covers is worlds away from stock, looks much better.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 AM
0RPP_Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wilfredes123
JWM Motoring has produced a lower opening HID projector headlight system.

If you look at the details, you will notice that the system you are referring to is not DOT compliant. There are also several other systems available, I will refrain from names, that are also not DOT compliant.

I am only interested in creating a system that remains DOT compliant. That means adjustable lighting, no dual high beams on each side, meeting photometric requirements, meeting longevity requirements, position requirements, etc. FVMSS has a lot of requirements for vehicle lighting if you expect to drive on any public road. Those rules are mainly designed for safety(adequate light output, not blinding other drivers, etc). Several of the products you can purchase for your C5 do not meet those requirements. I am not interested in selling illegal products.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:56 AM
BmoreRnsDeep
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the german popup hella projectors and they are the best product i have purchased regarding lighting. I have tried numerous other items from other manufacturers & this is the best just hard to get they are Velumen Lights I think. I know this is old but wanted you to know.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

These are similar to the JWM/Bassett Sun Guns that were sold here several years ago (you can contact mtndv8 and possibly still get a set). I have a set on my C5 (that pic in the OP is a chopped photo of my C5).

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Headlight Project: Opinions on design

Old 11-07-2016, 08:30 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

I Love those
Pop Ups' are what a C-5 is supposed to be otherwise you might as well get a C-6
If you ask 5 people you'll get 5 different opinions
This is just mine
Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 PM
alcoed
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts
Default here is my install

Just completed a 4 hid plus halos on low beam system, looks great, operates great, very bright, but I don't know how legal!
Attached Images     
Old 11-08-2016, 05:50 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by sloopdawg

I Love those
Pop Ups' are what a C-5 is supposed to be otherwise you might as well get a C-6
If you ask 5 people you'll get 5 different opinions
This is just mine
No, you are correct. you don't have to ask five other people. One look is enough, and if it wasn't, you could always throw out stories about Le Mans and aero drag, as if it mattered at street speeds.

Quick Reply: C5 Headlight Project: Opinions on design