New headlight designs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Arachnyd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by mtndv8
Those are the lights used in the pop-ups above.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
Those are the lights used in the pop-ups above.
Negative.
The Sun Guns definitely use Hella projectors, not Morimoto projectors.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Arachnyd
Instructor

OH Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dblerman
Negative.
The Sun Guns definitely use Hella projectors, not Morimoto projectors.
Interesting. I wonder why they use the same surrounds. You'd think they'd want to differentiate themselves a bit.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
Interesting. I wonder why they use the same surrounds. You'd think they'd want to differentiate themselves a bit.
They're not the same
That being said, there are dozens and dozens of different projector bezels and most of them look similar.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mtndv8
Not bad as two of these is only $20 more than the cost of 4 hella projectors. I would like to see what you guys have in mind for the inner auxillary light. I know you guys want larger but hopefully not too much larger as it won't fit its very limited space with the fender in the way. Maybe 2.5" outer projector , 3" inner projector (if that fits).

I 'd still be happy with two equal size hellas if that is the only thing that fits with Waynes shroud design

For the record Ive taken an extra set of projectors out my 3000gt and they are about 3" diameter and they don't fit, however part of that is because the projectors are alot longer than some of the ones posted. Like I said above space is very tight without cutting into the wheel well area

Last edited by SuperTom; 09-28-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dblerman
They're not the same
That being said, there are dozens and dozens of different projector bezels and most of them look similar.

...and I was simply suggesting the the Morimoto's because they are a bit more compact than the Hella's and that small bit of extra space might help to achieve the shroud design(s) you're discussing.

Subscribed to see how you utilize the 3D imaging printer...
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've looked into those ones but they are not sealed which would cause and issue with water. And we will see about the larger projector I have serious reservations about firman issues
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'd be interested to know if there was any mechanical or structural reason why these aftermarket aero lights have to be limited to the stock hole.

Couldn't an extension be cut into the front bumper cover to allow the lights to be mounted lower? This would free up all kinds of room and eliminate the need for frog eyes or bulges of any kind.

It's what Chevrolet did with the C6:

Obviously, it would require some bodywork, but I think the final result might look a lot better than trying to fit a couple of round pegs in a square hole.

Last edited by jcsperson; 09-30-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:44 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

You're right about the bumper and I'd be really interested to see this if anyone would actually go through with it. The big thing for most is retaining the stock look and nothing that can't he undone. Certainly don't see as many people wanting to hop onboard a light project if they knew front bumper work was involved.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM
LURCH634
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updated design updates?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Your tackling quite a project. I was thinking about desinging a C5 system like this in the next 6-8 months, but it will depend largely on interest. The molds necessary to achieve the tight radiuses are very expensive:

This is the project I already completed for C4s. They are injection molded from glass reinforced plastic. It took a couple years, but I could repeat the results in about 4 months with my current resources:

I think this will be my next project. It will only take 1-2 months to complete and will be beneficial for many C5 owners. It will also require few resources to produce in quantity:

Last edited by blr33439; 10-01-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I still prefer something like waynes shroud design that is recessed. Don't really like the shroud following the exact lines of the car. The lens cover is what is needed to follow the smoothness of the hood/bumper
Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
_Wayne_
Pro

I was looking Into a larger projector and it would not be cost efficient so a updated shroud will be posted soon
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Here is the new rounded version its a little premature in it release im not sold on this one yet but we will keep working!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM
LURCH634
Racer

Nice!!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a suggestion; depending on which projectors you select you may want to consider leaving some of the side profile of the projector visible past the shroud. It may allow you to profit from some of the finishing work that the projector manufacturer put in and add to the finished look of the set up.

Very crude mock-up:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Arachnyd
Instructor

OH Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I'd be interested to know if there was any mechanical or structural reason why these aftermarket aero lights have to be limited to the stock hole.

Couldn't an extension be cut into the front bumper cover to allow the lights to be mounted lower? This would free up all kinds of room and eliminate the need for frog eyes or bulges of any kind.

It's what Chevrolet did with the C6:

Obviously, it would require some bodywork, but I think the final result might look a lot better than trying to fit a couple of round pegs in a square hole.
While your probably completely correct, and it would be great for a single customizer to do, there isn't much mass-market appeal to something that is 1. risky and 2. not reversible regardless of whether the outcome is better or not

Get notified of new replies

To New headlight designs

Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jistari
Just a suggestion; depending on which projectors you select you may want to consider leaving some of the side profile of the projector visible past the shroud. It may allow you to profit from some of the finishing work that the projector manufacturer put in and add to the finished look of the set up.

Very crude mock-up:
[IMG][/IMG]

+1

Not so crude and IMHO you are on the right path with your mock-up.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 AM
thefazio
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcsperson

*img*

I found this on another thread. Someone custom-fitted some NSX headlights in. I like the look, but not enough to do it (or have it done) on mine.

Last edited by thefazio; 10-02-2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: More pics
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 AM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thefazio
I found this on another thread. Someone custom-fitted some NSX headlights in. I like the look, but not enough to do it (or have it done) on mine.

I was lucky enough to see this car in person. It was really sharp but not an easy DIY project, well except for GBVette. However, the shrouds really looked good with the C5 lines. While I admire Radioflyer's cannons, I donated my Breathless lens to be used to make his lens mold, I just don't like the plainness of his shrouds. Now when is comes to performance, his lights rock.

Quick Reply: New headlight designs