Sponsored by:

So I have compared my "Trip Mileage" to my "Miles Till Empty"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default So I have compared my "Trip Mileage" to my "Miles Till Empty"

and its off a good 50-75 miles. When I fill up the "miles till empty" is usually around 370-385 (I do a lot of highway during the week) and when I go by my trip. Best I have gotten so far out of 3 times was 315 miles with about 30 miles till empty left on display. Went into reserve fuel mode. My average on my display is 21.5-22mpg.

Is this normal for these cars let alone any? Its an 03 Z06 bolt ons + tune.

Last edited by crAzy; 09-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess you've got a "glass half full" kind of car.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jornahow
I guess you've got a "glass half full" kind of car.

keep it on topic lol
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My '88 & '98 do the same thing. My '95 Civic's analog gauge does a similar pattern - takes a while to get down to a half a tank, then drops like crazy for the remaining fuel.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

That "miles till empty" is "at best" an estimate, and not a good one. Keep your tank full to avoid the big surprise.(out of gas)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
TwoSmoke
Team Owner

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
My '88 & '98 do the same thing. My '95 Civic's analog gauge does a similar pattern - takes a while to get down to a half a tank, then drops like crazy for the remaining fuel.
This why you should never let your tank drop below halfway. A car gets much better mileage on the first half of a tank and then gets terrible mileage on the last half of a tank.

The EPA mileage estimates are always done on the first half of a tank.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Raiku898
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. Mine always seems a little optimistic too.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
and its off a good 50-75 miles. When I fill up the "miles till empty" is usually around 370-385 (I do a lot of highway during the week) and when I go by my trip. Best I have gotten so far out of 3 times was 315 miles with about 30 miles till empty left on display. Went into reserve fuel mode. My average on my display is 21.5-22mpg.

Is this normal for these cars let alone any? Its an 03 Z06 bolt ons + tune.
First, I'll just repeat what others have said here on CV about running out of gas, it's not a good idea. I've never tried it myself, but I guess things can go seriously wrong for (i think the fuel pump). So, don't do that.

All in all, I don't think it's estimating that bad. The estimate it gives you is based upon the # of gallons in the tank and the current average mileage. That number can vary depending on the last time you reset it, or the car reset it. I don't know the conditions under which it resets that, but it has done it to me some times for no apparent reason.

But if you think about it, it's at 315 and saying you can make it to 345 after an original estimate of 370-385, that's probably a good guess. IFFF you wanted to run it till it sputters and quits, it might just make it to 375. You're not talking about that much more fuel. And, if you do get every last drop out of there, who's to say how far it will go.

On my last fill up, the DIC said .38 mpg better than the actual mileage (which appears very close to yours). That's within 2% (1.87%) so that's to say that if you really do run till it chokes and sputters, you'd get 373 miles on an estimated 380. Yea, it's optimistic, but you could also say that if you were really low on gas, you might drive more sensibly and get 4mpg better out of the last two gallons! :p

Last edited by K-Spaz; 09-12-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It constantly adjusts to how you're driving the car and the conditions that it encounters. It's an estimate at best.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 AM
azer666
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i have read somewhere that the average gas milage only shows a certain number of miles back. Think it was about 50-100 miles or something. correct me if im wrong
Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would like someone to tell me what part of my vette can determine which tank of gas it is using. LOL
Fred
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I thought it averaged over the last 50 starts or something? Disconnecting the battery resets it or confuses it. The dic info is never very accurate and I'm surprised you're within 2%
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
First, I'll just repeat what others have said here on CV about running out of gas, it's not a good idea. I've never tried it myself, but I guess things can go seriously wrong for (i think the fuel pump). So, don't do that.

All in all, I don't think it's estimating that bad. The estimate it gives you is based upon the # of gallons in the tank and the current average mileage. That number can vary depending on the last time you reset it, or the car reset it. I don't know the conditions under which it resets that, but it has done it to me some times for no apparent reason.

But if you think about it, it's at 315 and saying you can make it to 345 after an original estimate of 370-385, that's probably a good guess. IFFF you wanted to run it till it sputters and quits, it might just make it to 375. You're not talking about that much more fuel. And, if you do get every last drop out of there, who's to say how far it will go.

On my last fill up, the DIC said .38 mpg better than the actual mileage (which appears very close to yours). That's within 2% (1.87%) so that's to say that if you really do run till it chokes and sputters, you'd get 373 miles on an estimated 380. Yea, it's optimistic, but you could also say that if you were really low on gas, you might drive more sensibly and get 4mpg better out of the last two gallons! :p
Good Reply . Yea I never run it dry lol. When it hits reserve I am thousands of feet away from a gas station anyways. So I'll never run it to its death. I don't like refilling at half a tank. I feel I spend more money that way, but it could be a placebo thing. Who knows. I guess that isn't bad for this car "315 miles" with both city/hwy. Its my daily and I know there are better cars out there for mpg, but I will sacrifice that for looks over something sh!tty lol.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz

The pump is suspended in the tank. The fuel cools and helps to lubricate the pump. I ran out of gas several times in my C4. Each time, within a month, the fuel pump failed and had to be replaced. Fortunately changing a fuel pump on a C4 takes 10 minutes - on a C5 I don't even want to think about it. Don't run your C5 dry.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The pump is suspended in the tank. The fuel cools and helps to lubricate the pump. ... Don't run your C5 dry.
THIS is absolutely ridiculous. Cause of death: Using as designed.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 AM
SuperDave02
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never look at it till it says to, go to gas station
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The pump is suspended in the tank. The fuel cools and helps to lubricate the pump. I ran out of gas several times in my C4. Each time, within a month, the fuel pump failed and had to be replaced. Fortunately changing a fuel pump on a C4 takes 10 minutes - on a C5 I don't even want to think about it. Don't run your C5 dry.
You're correct. The fuel keeps the pump cool. It's always amazed me why anyone would put electrical wires and components in a gas tank. You think they'd be exploding daily. If you recall twa flight 800 they blamed that on an empty tank and wiring.

Here's one of many interesting articles about it.
http://www.ehow.com/info_12206859_ru...-pump-bad.html

Last edited by Camjamsdad; 09-14-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To So I have compared my "Trip Mileage" to my "Miles Till Empty"

Quick Reply: So I have compared my "Trip Mileage" to my "Miles Till Empty"