Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting......

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 10:51 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting......

I really do love my coupe a lot, but I'm starting to get a little interested in getting a new '02 Z06 (hopefully at a reasonable discount due to the 03's coming out). I'm sure you'd never guess that I'd want a quicksilver one :rolleyes: , but that's indeed what I'm browsing. And believe it or not, I've never seen a quicksilver/mod red Z06 (not even in pictures). Anyone care to post some pics of this combination? That'd be great. Finding one is a whole other ball game.

However, my dilemma is the same as all coupe guys.....would I miss taking off the top in good weather? Would I miss the extra space in the back? Would the awesome handling and crazy power make me forget all of that nonsense? Etc. I haven't driven or rode in a Z06 yet, but even the numbers alone are almost convincing me. :D This wouldn't be a daily driver (as my coupe was for almost two years), so it'd probably only come out in good weather. Also, a new Z06 would take another two years to pay off at about $150 more a month (my payments are really low now, and I don't owe all that much anymore). That's nothing to scoff at. It's not tipping the scales obviously either way, but it's important to think about. It's easy to just pick one and go with it, but consider the pros and cons for a minute, and don't forget about the financial repercussions

The other option would be keeping my ~30k mile '00 coupe, and maybe following in joecool's footsteps and going with a LPE supercharger setup. The handling wouldn't be as good as a Z06, but straight line would be :crazy: . This would obviously set me back about $9k for all practical purposes (I'm sure you all are familiar with his car).

So what's the verdict? Get a Z06 with its awesome handling, unique looks, full warranty, and "out-of-the-box" great power (low 12's at ~116mph stock)....or keep the coupe and go with an LPE setup which would probably end up with pretty high miles after another year, but crazy power, and roof-off action as well. Tough call.

Just looking for opinions...... :D

[Modified by Ryan Bell, 8:52 PM 5/30/2002]
Old 05-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (Ryan Bell)

i jacked up the choices (accidentally hit "enter" :rolleyes: )

just add your own.

[Modified by Ryan Bell, 8:53 PM 5/30/2002]
Old 05-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (Ryan Bell)

- edited -

[Modified by Ryan Bell, 9:44 PM 5/30/2002]
Old 05-30-2002, 11:43 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan, they have this Combo right now at the dealer down the street from me(where I've gotten both my Vettes). It looks spectacular, and if I hadn't been settled on the Blue already, I would have loved to have gotten it. Believe me, the combo looks racy as all hell.

I recieved a good discount on the Z06 and recieved a really good trade in for the Vert, so I know they are shuffling them out as fast as they can. Not too mention the used dealer head himself mentioned they were desperate for used C5's as summer approaches and their inventory was low. Usually they keep 30-40 used vettes on the lot at all times, they've got maybe 15 good C5's. How does getting 40k in trade for a 2001 vert with 10g's on the clock in March of 2002 sound? :crazy:

PM me or email me if you want the dealer name and info(wouldn't wanna advertise it and have someone ****** it up), anything I can do to assist I will! Hell, I'll drive it down for you(if you let me drive the 355 ;) )

Dave
Old 05-30-2002, 11:46 PM
The DBK
Melting Slicks

- edited -

[Modified by Ryan Bell, 9:44 PM 5/30/2002]
haha, i saw that. aww, Don't worry I care :p:
Old 05-30-2002, 11:47 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (The DBK)

haha, i saw that. aww, Don't worry I care :p:
whew....I knew SOMEONE must give a crap somewhere out there...... :lol: :D
Old 05-30-2002, 11:49 PM
ruacop
Le Mans Master

As having seen both of your cars in Houston (when I still lived there) try this on for size.

Sell the Ferrari (I know the situation with your dad, but check this) and get a year or two older 355 with a drop top. Then, buy a '02 QS/ModRed ZO6, and since you said you wouldn't drive the Z all the time like the coupe you could mod it and start racing it on the weekends at RiverCity and up in Bryan at the speedway.

This would allow you to keep the open air vehicle for the nice weather days and the race car for the other days.

I know this probably isn't realistic, but hey I am dreamin' with your money. :D

BTW, the Z will make you forget about the open air. And if it doesn't you can always look up JW and borrow his Mil.Yellow Vert. :eek:
Old 05-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (getinofficer)

Sounds tempting, but he'd never go for that. He *loves* that 99 Berlinetta, and honestly so do I. Cool thought though. :)

An LPE '00 coupe would be awesome, but I really like the Z06 also. It's just a tough call, considering the price to play for each one.

That's cool that you actually remembered the situation with my father and I concerning the F355 (it's nice to hear someone who doesn't give me shiznit about that...hahaha), and that you actually saw both the cars. Did we meet out at Westheimer one night or something? Refresh my poor memory. :lol:

[Modified by Ryan Bell, 9:55 PM 5/30/2002]
Old 05-30-2002, 11:59 PM
ruacop
Le Mans Master

Realistically,

Keep the Coupe and mod the Heck out of it. Pay it off first. Then, go nuts. :cheers: You could do the LPE Magnuson, then upgrade the suspension with goodies from Mallett Cars (nice stuff, adjustable Penske shocks and stuff). Then, tub the rear-end like some other guys in Houston have done and put some big meats under it. No one would no the difference from the outside and you would be pretty close or better for the handling of a stock Z with more power. :cool: The cool part is that it would be paid off and the title in your hand. It is just a matter of patience, I guess. :cheers:
Old 05-31-2002, 12:02 AM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Well I was in your exact situation a couple of months ago with my 00 Coupe. I took the targa off more times than not and really liked that car alot, but after making the switch I'm missing the coupe less and less each day. My coupe was modded the same as yours and ran pretty much the identical time as yours and I really didn't think the Z06 would feel that much different before driving one. I actually drove a friends Z06 before I bought one and then drove home in my coupe and a week later made the switch. There was definitely a difference and even the stock exhaust on the Z sounded awesome especially compared to the stock exhaust on my 00. I don't regret making the switch one bit and would do it again in a heart beat even though I loved my Coupe.

If you want, let me know and I'll take you for a spin and let you see what made some of us make the switch. (Me, Rick, Corey) :cheers:
Old 05-31-2002, 12:02 AM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (getinofficer)

very good points....... :yesnod:
Old 05-31-2002, 12:04 AM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (B-Myster)

Barry,
Hey man. I never knew that was your screen name. Beautiful ride by the way. Yeah, that'd be AWESOME if you could take me for a spin. I've never been in one before, and I'd love to see what they feel like. Maybe this Saturday night? Will you be out there?
Old 05-31-2002, 12:09 AM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

I test drove both the 2002 coupe and Z06 and they are quite different (both with 6 speeds). The coupe is a great all around sports car that is both comfortable, roomy, reasonably quiet AND performs very well. I would choose it for a cross country drive or if it was my only car.

The Z06 is simply the best performing factory Corvette ever. At slow speeds that car feels a little akward compared to the coupe (needlessly rough or loud might be a decent description) but as soon as you pick up the pace and really start moving, the Z06 blows you away with its reflexes and responsiveness. The more you push the car, the more you realize just how special this car really is. Similar to comparing a 911 Carrera to a 911 GT2 in the sense that the GT2 has trimmed all possible excess weight and turned up the performance that much more. Luckily, unlike the GT2, the Z06 still has great air conditioning for one third the price... :cool:

And then there is the knowledge that real world in gear throtle response is better than 99% of vehicles - if you have access to a broken in Z06, find a long straight on-ramp to an empty interstate or divided highway, drive in third at 2500 rpm and increase to WOT by 3000 RPM; hold on until at least 5500. If you're still debating after that, pass on the Z06...IMO, the lighter weight, shorter gearing, extra horses and slightly higher torque and HP peak mean that, beyond 3500, the revs build with an urgency I've yet to experience in any other factory stock car. :seeya
Old 05-31-2002, 12:13 AM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks. I might be out there, but I'm not sure yet. What time are you gonna be out there? If I don't make it, I live in the Galleria area so if you want to meet for lunch on Sunday we could go for a spin then or whenever. As much as I loved my Coupe, I love driving this car that much more.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:15 AM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (B-Myster)

Thanks. I might be out there, but I'm not sure yet. What time are you gonna be out there? If I don't make it, I live in the Galleria area so if you want to meet for lunch on Sunday we could go for a spin then or whenever. As much as I loved my Coupe, I love driving this car that much more.
Cool man. I'm going to KLOL Rockstock on Sunday at 12:45pm on Sunday, so I don't know if I could do that, but I might see you out at Westheimer if you go out there. But even if neither of those work out, I'd still like to meet with you sometime to go for a spin. :D
Old 05-31-2002, 09:21 AM
ragvette
Melting Slicks

Get the Z06. It's a great car.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:47 AM
nevadacoin
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (ragvette)

Get the Z06 :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting......

Old 05-31-2002, 11:10 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (nevadacoin)

Ryan,

You won't even so much as reminesce about the coupe if when you are driving down the road in a Z. I've owned 3 standard C5's and now I have [traded my '01 convert!] an '02 Z06. My Dad is a car nut as well and after I let him drive mine he HAD TO HAVE TOO! :)

He got one [he too traded in an '01 Vert], and hasn't missed it ONE BIT! He LOVES the new power.

Just do it.

If you mod your car you lose warantee, you still won't own a Z06, and it still won't handle as well.....

FYI/IMHO - Dad picked up a Quick Silver Z without the Mod Red Int and I gotta tell you, on the color alone - It was one FARGIN beautiful machine, maing! Good luck in your quest Ryan!

Keep up the funny pics! :)

:seeya

[Modified by EdwardETraylorIII, 9:14 AM 5/31/2002]
Old 05-31-2002, 11:51 AM
VetteBoy1979
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 3-4-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09-'12

Wow,
This is a predicament. I cannot really comment on the situation via a personal performance assesment, seeing as Ive only driven a coupe. Again, as previously stated, there are pros and cons to both. You need to decide what you are more interested in. Do you want the Z06 because of the handling? If so, how often are you going to use it besides on the street, and there you wont be able to really appreciate it (I woudnt think). If you are looking for straight line go (ie drag racing, which you enjoy) I would say stick with the coupe and get the supercharger. Again, either way you go you are getting a awesome car. IMO, since you enjoy drag racing more than road racing (unless you are planning on getting into it) go Lingenfelter :)

PS- option 2, I dont care what you want to do, get the Z06 and give me a deal on your '00 :D I'll keep the Z06 detailed for you at no xtra charge :lol: Plus, Id like the 00 so I could add the silver King King interior :cool:
Old 05-31-2002, 12:16 PM
BLISS
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting...... (VetteBoy1979)

:cheers:

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ok, I'll admit it....the Z06 looks pretty tempting......