Sponsored by:

Shopping for my first C5, would appreciate some perspective

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Down
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shopping for my first C5, would appreciate some perspective

Hi all. As you can see from my join date, I've been toying around with the idea of getting into a C5 for a loooong time and life looks like it's finally played out in such a way that I can. I've zeroed in, specifically, on the 02-04 Z06s and I have a particular affinity for the Electron Blue. I've really only been looking for a week or so, been keeping an eye on the forums and even talked via IM with a couple folks interested in selling their EB Z but unfortunately, I've not come across any that are terribly close. While the idea of picking up a car and road tripping it back has its appeal, the vast wasteland I encounter entering or leaving AZ (no cell phone coverage and sparse population) does have me a little nervous about the "unknown factor" in buying from someone remote.

I have found a local specialty dealer in my metro that has exactly what I'm looking for. An 02 with the TR interior and relatively low (43k) miles. Even though this may not actually be a rational feeling, the idea of buying from a dealer makes me feel a little more at ease about not getting something with extreme problems, especially when it's this close to home. This dealer has actually been mentioned on the forums here before and surprisingly, I couldn't find any negative comments.

So, after all of that, here's my question. The asking price as $25k, what do you all think? It seems a little high, as would be expected since it's from a dealer, but not super-outrageous high and it appears to be in top notch shape. Am I letting some false feelings and impatience get the best of me on this one or is this a somewhat acceptable price? I'd hope to get them down a couple thousand or so but they may be firm. I've looked at completed eBay auctions and around on the forums trying to gauge a "fair price" but this purchase kinda jumped on me so I don't have a few months watching the market to figure out some real trends like I'd like to have. I would love to get a 3rd party perspective from someone with a lot more knowledge of the market for these cars. Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by Down; 08-21-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM
johntouhy
Advanced

I bought a 2204 vert in may it had 11000 miles.had it checked out,engine,transmission,brakes,tires,ac. paid 28000.car literaly looks new.sometimes you just take a chance. For me,so far,so good.

John
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Offer Him 23k and see where it goes. If its in REALLY good shape, it sounds good. See if the dealer offers a warranty.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Down
Instructor

Originally Posted by andrec10
Offer Him 23k and see where it goes. If its in REALLY good shape, it sounds good. See if the dealer offers a warranty.
From what I can see, no warranty is offered other than the typical aftermarket ones you can purchase. I'll probably start a little lower, I think I'd feel OK at $23, unsure above that.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Down,

Check your pm's!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
redroket
Racer

Default z

If you are buying a lower mileage Z06 I would not be real concerned unless you look it over and it has been tracked for most of those miles, or wrecked! Don't trust carfax! I live in the Phoenix area and mine is a daily driver and I drive alot! Never had a problem that could not be fixed in my garage, usually within a hour or 2. Great cars to work on even changed out a water pump.
I did what you are thinking of doing. I bought a local car just because it was handy and not the exact car I wanted, which I had found in Texas. Never again, buy what you want even if you have to drive it a thousand miles to get home. I thought I looked over my car really well but found after a few washings it had been damaged and repainted in a few spots. My fault, but I should have bought a different car.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Down
Instructor

Originally Posted by redroket
If you are buying a lower mileage Z06 I would not be real concerned unless you look it over and it has been tracked for most of those miles, or wrecked! Don't trust carfax! I live in the Phoenix area and mine is a daily driver and I drive alot! Never had a problem that could not be fixed in my garage, usually within a hour or 2. Great cars to work on even changed out a water pump.
I did what you are thinking of doing. I bought a local car just because it was handy and not the exact car I wanted, which I had found in Texas. Never again, buy what you want even if you have to drive it a thousand miles to get home. I thought I looked over my car really well but found after a few washings it had been damaged and repainted in a few spots. My fault, but I should have bought a different car.
Luckily for me, this is almost exactly what I want. Of course, I'd prefer less mileage and that it was an 03, but those are pretty minor points. My major concern here would be overpaying when I could something similar from a private party for much cheaper if I was patient.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Down
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Down,

Check your pm's!

Thank you for that gracious offer! If I can ever get a time where I'm not already on a call about something work related I might just take you up.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Consider the fact that if you find one "remote", it will cost to ship or to travel and drive it back. So keep that in mind when you make your offer on this local car. Unfortunately, for you, C5 (as all used car) prices have actually gone up in the last year+.

I think 43k miles is excellent for a 2002. I am always leary of cars with too little miles. These cars need to be driven to keep all moving parts lubricated. After all, this is a 10/11 year old car.

You've got to pay what you are comfortable with, and that is different with every person, but if you have it checked out and it was well maintained, you will be extremely happy as these are amazing cars!

Best of luck in your search.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Offer what you feel comfortable with and go from there. I'd say if you can get it for no more than $23K, you've got a good deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Shopping for my first C5, would appreciate some perspective

Quick Reply: Shopping for my first C5, would appreciate some perspective