Sponsored by:

battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 PM
midlifetoy1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default battery?

Waiting on AAA for a jump. Dropped windows using valet and when i tried to start the the car, everything went dead. No power to anything. Could it be anything other than the battery?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If tripleA can start it--im sure new batt time
Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Probably a battery.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Identifying Battery Problems
The C5 eats batteries unless you take some regular precautions. If your battery continually dies its either the battery which is on its last legs or something on the car.

You also need to look at how you use the car. Is it a daily driver? If so the battery should be getting a good top up every day so you may have a problem.

Is it a DD but you do short trips? If so you'll be taking a lot out of the battery every time you start. For a short trip, say less than about 20 mins, you won’t top it off properly. Eventually it'll drain.

Is it a weekend car. If so, this takes a lot out of your battery. There’s a 20MA drain even dormant. If you don’t drive the car for a reasonable time every week or so, it'll kill the battery. In this case you really do need a battery tender.

You’ll know when your battery is bad. As it gets low you may get strange electrical indications (random warnings and U fault codes). As it gets lower it may drop the memory settings or defaults such as HUD settings. Eventually you’ll get the dreaded chattering relays in the footwell and eventually the lights on the IPC will disappear.

Most batteries can be recharged quite successfully, although AGMs are harder. Start by checking the charge on the battery. Don’t read the DIC when the car is off. The value you see on the DIC is alternator output when the car is running. It will always measure an inaccurately low voltage on the battery when the ignition is off and figures of 11.0V to 11.9V is normal in this case. With the engine on, the voltmeter should show between 13V and 14.5V. You need to measure voltage across the battery terminals using a digital multi meter if possible. A fully charged battery measures 12.7V and a fully discharged battery measures 11.9V. Partially discharged batteries will give a reading somewhere in between.

If the battery is low give it an overnight charge (or put it on a battery tender until you get a fully charged indication) and retest it. A true test is under load and Autozone will do that test for free.
If you have an AGM battery like the Red Top and it has been deeply discharged it's harder to recover it. This might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

If you’ve recharged it and it still runs down, then you need to start looking for excessive drains. Bill Curlee posted a good method for checking:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567522286-post590.html

There are some common faults which are well known for causing problems:

First to check is the interior lighting rotary switch on the drivers panel. It’s possible for that to be turned on as there’s a setting (fully clockwise) which bypasses the auto off function. Turn it fully counter clockwise and check after about 30 minutes (preferably in the dark) that the interior lights have gone off.

If it’s not the lights something has failed or is badly installed.

Have you fitted an after-market device which draws current? Typically it’s a cellphone charger, radar warner or a similar device that’s the problem.

If still no joy, you need to start pulling fuses to identify the problem.

The power seat switches on the side of both seats are notoriously unreliable. The switch becomes sticky with use and can stick in the “on” position. You shouldn’t damage the motors as they are thermally protected. The fuse may blow so worth checking (Fuse 36 20A in footwell).

The driver’s lumbar motor can also cause issues so check this too (mini fuse 3 15A in footwell). The seat controls connect under the seat. Pull the connector and if the drain stops that’s your problem.

Less common but not unheard of are failures of the headlight motor control module the alternator and the Bose Amplifier under the dash on the driver’s side.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice writeup Dave. Saved that info for future reference.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:49 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Dave your the MAN!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
midlifetoy1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Battery

Thanx for your inputs. Turns out it was the battery. Will be looking into a red top in the am. Corvette Forum rocks!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by midlifetoy1
Thanx for your inputs. Turns out it was the battery. Will be looking into a red top in the am. Corvette Forum rocks!
Don't know for sure, but there have been discussions as to the differences between the Red top and the Yellow top. Supposedly, the Yellow top will take a recharge from dead much easier than the Red top. Also, it seems to me that I saw something about it also having the right reserve minutes etc. over the Red top?

Someone else here can give you the whole story, I'm sure, but after reading the write-up I saw here, I was very glad that my '99 had a Yellow top in it when I bought it this spring.

Hope this helps.

DSTURBD
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

I've had good results w/Red Tops. Suggest using a trickel charger (I have a CTEK-3300) which I use yr round...

Get notified of new replies

To battery?

Quick Reply: battery?