Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking into buying a c5, have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Really, it depends upon the type of driving you do and the weather you encounter. Since I do alot of highway driving, I appreciate the translucent targa top on my coupe. In addition, listening to the stereo with any open-top car is an act of frustration. It would be great if you could attend a local Corvette clug get together and possibly drive or be a passenger in each type.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Over the years I've had every body style of the C5s. The coupe is my favorite and I really like its versatility. I've had 3 coupes and still have one. I enjoyed the convertible, but did not prefer it over the coupe, and I also had a Z06 which of course has a fixed roof and I found that to be a limiting factor.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Convertible.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 PM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar internal debat, coupe, vert, or z06. In the end I went coupe and am very happy I did. The ability too have a clear roof, painted, or none to me outweighs any benfit of the diffrence of the top being off. I also take my roof off a lot, and find it very easy to take off and on.

The other deciding factor for me was luggage space. The coupe has a ton, a lot more than a z06 or vert (some argue this, I would say just look for yourself). My wife enjoys traveling in the car, and is able to have a large suitcase, plus a seprate suit case for shoes and bathroom products (women). I then still have room for my suitcase, cleaning kit, car cover, bag chairs, and a little travel cooler. I have also taken both my small dogs in crates plus luggage with room to spare. For me, and the way we would use the car, this was the deciding factor in coupe vs. vert vs. z06. Very happy I went coupe.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM
mayday_malone
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire question....i found out that the factory tires were replaced with michelin tiger paw gtz tires. Are these any good, or at least acceptable? I googled these and didnt find much help online. Thanks again for all the info and opinions. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a vette
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I don't think Michelin makes a tiger paw?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

coupe vs vert = personal choice...

me - never been a vert fan so I went coupe....
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Fat Finger
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude
Three years ago I was exactly where you are today. I bought an '02 coupe with 25k miles and brand new set of Bridgestone non-runflats. I paid $23.5k for the car and have been very pleased. From what I have learned on this Forum, the original Goodyear Runflats left a lot to be desired, so don't let that change cause you any concern. The price may be a little high but if you are trading in something or it is EXACTLY the car you want, it's not out of line.

You didn't ask but I would be prepared to do extensive service work if the previous owner hasn't. Change coolant, brake fluid, oil & filter, etc. many owners of extremely low mileage cars don't service by the calendar so they go too long on some items.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck in getting the right Corvette.

Okie

And there's more! These cars are a joy to drive, but, like the other woman, they require lots of love.

The purchase price is just scratching the surface. If you think that 1-carat, D, FL/IF diamond the other woman in your life wants is expensive, think again!

Take a look at what mods cost for a Vette, then compare the same for other cars. Don't lie to yourself. The day you drive the car home, you will be looking for something to change. Break out your Platnium card and enjoy!

Top of the list for a new C5 owner is a full set of Service Manuals. Do the research on the C5, and make sure you find out what the previous owner did to the car. Some mods are subtle, so they may already be done. Oh, by the way, you will need the manuals!

Have fun!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Welcome!!! Many of us were in the same position as you and this forum has helped us and furthered our interest in the Corvette passion.

Do as much homework as you can and then when it feels right go for it and don't fret about whether you paid $1,000 above or below the car's exact value. That's nothing over time and what you will do with the car. I recall passing on a sweet car that I regret not buying because I wanted to get it another 500-1000 cheaper. Short sighted!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mayday_malone
Thanks alot for all the replies, they have been very helpful. $21k is the absolute lowest price for the car, & i am pretty comfortable with the cars history & the seller so that is worth something. Now the only thing i am debating is coupe vs vert. I do kind of like the idea of a completely open top, the negatives being cost(probably 2-5k more), more upkeep, & also there is just something about the lines of a coupe that i like. My biggest question is this: i know the consensus is vert with a top down is a better expirience than coupe with the top off, but is top down vert waaaaaaaay better, or is coupe with top off at least a similarly enjoyable?

Thanks again for all the input

This is like DejaVu for me. I asked all these same questions a year ago and you can probably find the threads. The kicker for me was 2 points:

Corvettes are made to be convertible (well not totally but you get the point)

Get a vert and modify it to be a Z06 if you want the drivability.

My vert has Z06 suspension, brakes and with a few mods has about 10% more power than a Z06. Best of both worlds!

Quick Reply: looking into buying a c5, have a couple questions