Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 z51 brakes on a C5?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C6 z51 brakes on a C5?

I know I have seen a thread on this a while back but I can not find it now. My question is. I have read where the larger C6 Z51 rotors will bolt right up to the C5. But you need some sort of bracket to make them work? Does anyone have any idea of this? I am looking to change out all of my rotors soon and if it is possible to go a little larger without spending a huge amount of money for a big brake kit then the Z51 route is what I want to take.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 AM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting. I like your idea and would like to know about this myself.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:31 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Pretty sure you just use the C6 Z51 brackets.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 AM
skeeters65
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Pretty sure you just use the C6 Z51 brackets.
Yup and Z51 rotors.
Must have 18" wheels up from though.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I did this upgrade a while back. I only did the back though. The rotor diameter increase in the front is only about 1/4 inch from the C5 rotor. Not worth changing the bracket and wheels for.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 AM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Caesar68
I did this upgrade a while back. I only did the back though. The rotor diameter increase in the front is only about 1/4 inch from the C5 rotor. Not worth changing the bracket and wheels for.
It actually is worth the increase in braking capacity.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by b16gsr
For me it's not. The C5 with stock brakes will outbreak 95% of the cars on the road. Upgraded brackets and wheels and tires would have cost me another $1000 at least. For that, you might as well upgrade to the C6ZO6 brakes.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Almost the same caliper. the front is a little beefier and the rear is a bit bigger.

Just get better brake pads and DOT 4 brake fluid.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

I have 19's front and rear so the front won't be an issue. So the C6 z51 brackets and rotors will bolt right up with no problems?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Qwik01
I have 19's front and rear so the front won't be an issue. So the C6 z51 brackets and rotors will bolt right up with no problems?
Yes, they bolt right up. Make sure the rotors you buy are zinc plated to avoid rust. I had mine plated with nickel.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:00 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Not really, dude. The tires are really the deciding factor in how your car stops. If you can jam on your brake pedal and lock up your front brakes, squealing the front tires---then your brakes work just fine. You get wider and stickier tires to stop sooner. Larger brake rotors will help resist brake fade at the race track, but increasing the diameter just 1/4" while still using the same caliper and pads? You won't even feel a difference, brother.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

So only 1/4" difference in the front? I thought I have read where both the front and rear were over an inch larger in diameter.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

"Actually" not.

Stock C5 brakes easily activate the anti-lock feature. C6 brakes won't do any better than that. Stock is as good as possible.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

the stock C5 brakes with the right brake pads and good front tires are fantastic brakes. even better then some BBK kits with fancy names and bright colored boxes. ( been there Driven them )

I have used the stock C5 caliper, now the stock C6 caliper, with Wilwood H racing brake pads, 305 wide front tires, and pulled down from 135 to 55 so quickly I thought I was doing a motocycle stoppie ( the rear was dancing almost too much )

Front tire width has more to do with braking ability then a caliper, or rotor.. next would be brake pads and forget most ceramic brake pads for great stopping. Carbotech excluded, very good brake pads.

large three piece rotors and big 4 pot or 6 pot brake calipers are a different game completely.

if your putting them on too look good, go for it. but dont expect much better braking abilities

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-11-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I am in the process of doing this as we speak. Had a couple if set backs including a leaking rear axle that I had to wait on parts for. The C6 calipers and rotors will bolt right up to your C5 but you will need the Z51 bracket for the rear to move the caliper out. I went with Baer 2 piece rotors and Hawk performance ceramic pads. All I have left is the new SS brake lines I got from Russel to install. Hopefully some time will open up soon to complete this project. Tired of seeing my baby on stands in the garage!

Jim
Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim02C5
I am in the process of doing this as we speak. Had a couple if set backs including a leaking rear axle that I had to wait on parts for. The C6 calipers and rotors will bolt right up to your C5 but you will need the Z51 bracket for the rear to move the caliper out. I went with Baer 2 piece rotors and Hawk performance ceramic pads. All I have left is the new SS brake lines I got from Russel to install. Hopefully some time will open up soon to complete this project. Tired of seeing my baby on stands in the garage!

Jim

Thansk, so I do not the the brackets for the front rotors? Just the rears?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I bought mine as a set with calipers and brackets from Gene...The Baer rotors I have came with another piece to move the rear caliper out to accommodate for the 14" rear rotor. As far as the caliper brackets themselves I am not 100% sure if there is a size difference or not. Either another member will speak up or give Gene or Justin a call at GMParts house. Sorry for the confusion.

Jim

Last edited by JimZRyd; 08-11-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added info

Get notified of new replies

To C6 z51 brakes on a C5?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

C6Z51 rotors and brackets MUST be used together. The only item you can keep C5 original is the caliper.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 PM
b16gsr
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Not really, dude. The tires are really the deciding factor in how your car stops. If you can jam on your brake pedal and lock up your front brakes, squealing the front tires---then your brakes work just fine. You get wider and stickier tires to stop sooner. Larger brake rotors will help resist brake fade at the race track, but increasing the diameter just 1/4" while still using the same caliper and pads? You won't even feel a difference, brother.
Originally Posted by ztheusa
"Actually" not.

Stock C5 brakes easily activate the anti-lock feature. C6 brakes won't do any better than that. Stock is as good as possible.
Originally Posted by AU N EGL

the stock C5 brakes with the right brake pads and good front tires are fantastic brakes. even better then some BBK kits with fancy names and bright colored boxes. ( been there Driven them )

I have used the stock C5 caliper, now the stock C6 caliper, with Wilwood H racing brake pads, 305 wide front tires, and pulled down from 135 to 55 so quickly I thought I was doing a motocycle stoppie ( the rear was dancing almost too much )

Front tire width has more to do with braking ability then a caliper, or rotor.. next would be brake pads and forget most ceramic brake pads for great stopping. Carbotech excluded, very good brake pads.

large three piece rotors and big 4 pot or 6 pot brake calipers are a different game completely.

if your putting them on too look good, go for it. but dont expect much better braking abilities

Guess I am just a f*c*ing idiot and know nothing. I guess GM engineers did not redesign the C6 Z51 package with larger rotors with thicker, cross drilled, additional cooling vanes, etc. for any particular reason. They just did it for looks RIGHT FELLAS. This is why the rear calipers actually have different sized pistons in them. Am I STILL doing it wrong.

Sorry for being a complete idiot and NOT KNOWING anything about braking systems.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:58 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Guess I am just a f*c*ing idiot and know nothing. I guess GM engineers did not redesign the C6 Z51 package with larger rotors with thicker, cross drilled, additional cooling vanes, etc. for any particular reason. They just did it for looks RIGHT FELLAS. This is why the rear calipers actually have different sized pistons in them. Am I STILL doing it wrong.

Sorry for being a complete idiot and NOT KNOWING anything about braking systems.
Wow. Someone needs a hug.

Just simply address your original reply...

A member said this:
Originally Posted by Caesar68
The rotor diameter increase in the front is only about 1/4 inch from the C5 rotor. Not worth changing the bracket and wheels for.
So, you said this:
Please explain your response. Going to a 1/4" larger diameter front rotor is worth the small cost of the additional brackets, and the big cost of upgrading to larger diameter wheels and tires. You claim this is due to the increase in "braking capacity". Please share your data with us! How much more quickly will the car stop? From what speeds? Any brake fade information? How much longer will the pads last? We are always willing to hear hands-on reviews from experts.

Last edited by FYRARMS; 08-12-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 z51 brakes on a C5?