Sponsored by:

Return on investment: MARKET VALUE OF MODIFIED VS. STOCK VETTES

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Romanian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s'noJob
If you think trying to sell a modded 'Vette is bad, try selling one with a custom paint job. Pretty expensive to bring back to stock.
TELL ME ABOUT IT. My z06 had a custom paint job when I got it and it cost me big bucks to get it back to factory black. It looked like the guy before me painted it in his back yard with a roller and some duct tape.

I appreciate all the excellent feedback, especially K-Spaz. Your input confirmed what I suspected from those that are actually looking to buy. I think its also excellent advice to keep factory parts and maybe even let the potential owner choose whether he wants the factory wheels or the aftermarket ones, factory seats or aftermarket, etc...
Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Road_runner
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Chances of getting anywhere close to what you spend in mods back when you sell are very slim, but I look at it as making the car mine. I bought my car to enjoy, and the mods I have done not only personalize it for me, but make it more fun to drive. Of course I went into the mod game knowing that I will not get my money back should I ever sell. So be it.

I think performance mods done by a very well known installer (i.e., Mallet, Lingenfelter, ECS, etc.) will hold their value better, but you still have to get a buyer that is looking for mods similar to what you have done to the car. Hence many will opt to remove what mods they can and sell them separately when selling the car.
Lingenfelter says that their engine package is worth 50% on resale.
I hope they are right. Here's one of mine for sale. 40,000+ in mods between Lingenfelter and the Vette Doctor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...2-rwhp-wa.html
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by regblkss
In my opinion. Cars that are mod have owns that tend to take care of them. My car is heavily modded. And I take care of it better then 99% of the rest of the world. Flooring a car isn't beating it. Lots of ways to miss treat a vehicle. I've seen cars with 200k look new. And cars with 20k that are junk already.

Mod away and have fun. Drive it hard. and enjoy
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 AM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanian
The thing i'm really itching for right now is a set of red Corbeau seats. I respect the car but.... it itches soooo baaad
There is a spray for that!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by runner140*
A little like buying a new Vette and leaving it in the garage...and having a garage queen.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:13 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I have never seen as many people as I do on here worried about the worth of their car now, or the value when they sell it. For those of you obsessed with this, what's up with that? Do you really enjoy the car, or is it some kind of status symbol? When I've purchased any of my vettes (quite a few now) the last thing I am thinking is " What will it be worth when I sell it?" Geez, this driving my crazy. Just drive them. Don't worry about what they're worth unless you own a car lot. Quit watching Barrett-Jackson too.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Baibaikin
Instructor

Oh man.... I was going to take out a Vette Equity loan since I have a $5000 blower installed...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
I have never seen as many people as I do on here worried about the worth of their car now, or the value when they sell it. For those of you obsessed with this, what's up with that? Do you really enjoy the car, or is it some kind of status symbol? When I've purchased any of my vettes (quite a few now) the last thing I am thinking is " What will it be worth when I sell it?" Geez, this driving my crazy. Just drive them. Don't worry about what they're worth unless you own a car lot. Quit watching Barrett-Jackson too.

As others have said these are not investments.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Romanian
Advanced

Originally Posted by outwest nv.

While I do love my car, I want to be responsible and know that if the rubber met the road in financial hardship, I can count on a certain assumed value. Whats wrong with asking that question? NO, its not a status symbol. NO, it has nothing to do with watching Barrett-Jackson but I believe that anyone who considers himself responsible enough to get behind the wheel of a corvette, should be responsible enough to also manage his finances. The reality is that a car is a car, its not bread on the table or a roof over your head. Some of us cannot afford to spend thousands and thousands today without considering tomorrow. Is that a problem? Is this really a reason to get your panties in a knot? Lets get back to the subject and quit lecturing eachother on why we shouldnt be asking these questions.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Camaro_94
Instructor

If you mod a car and expect to get the money back from it, you won't.

I modded mine because I enjoy it more now. Cam/head/n2o setup. I'm not worried about resale value. I have $45k total into my Z06 (paid $25k for the car and $20k in mods/upgrades)
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Best way to chase me off as a buyer is to tell me about all of the mods and tell me how fast it is ! GOODBYE !
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Romanian
Advanced

Originally Posted by bj1k
Best way to chase me off as a buyer is to tell me about all of the mods and tell me how fast it is ! GOODBYE !
Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

+ 1
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a stock 02 z06 with 64k miles and i'd love to do stuff to it, both cosmetic and performance- but i'm worried that they car will actually depreciate with the modifications I make to it and, in the long run, my money will go down the pit. Any thoughts?
... I want to be responsible and know that if the rubber met the road in financial hardship, I can count on a certain assumed value. ...
Comparing your most recent statement with that of your original question, it would seem you're asking: should a significant hardship hit your family and you had to depart with your Corvette, would you be able to recoup a reasonable amount with or without mods. Am I right?

If so, and going by the responses in this thread, plus your own observations, it would depend on how soon you needed the money. Significant hardships usually cannot wait months to sell a unique car, so if that's what you think might happen, then the responsible thing would be to leave it stock.

Just as it is an expensive hobby to race Corvettes, it's probably also so to mod the cars to the degree we want. I'll bet more than a few of the "power modders" have been called irresponsible by their significant other.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Camaro_94
Instructor

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, nobody buys a sports car to drive like a Prius. I laugh at the people who say "never seen rain and never beat on"...

You mean to tell me you've never went wide open throttle in the car? I'm not saying you always need to beat the **** out of your car, or do it all the time... But c'mon!

I didn't do a H/C/n2o setup to not enjoy the power. I don't drive the car like I stole it, but occasionally I'll open the car up. I take excellent care of the car though. It has been driven through he rain, but it won't melt. I only have professionals work on it, use all of the best stuff, and never cut corners with the car. It gets a Mobil 1 full synthetic oil change every 2k miles.

I'd rather buy a car from someone who tells me they enjoyed the car and took good care of it, than someone who feeds me a line of BS about how the car hasn't ever been driven past 2k rpm's.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM
airbrush1
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_runner
Lingenfelter says that their engine package is worth 50% on resale.
I hope they are right. Here's one of mine for sale. 40,000+ in mods between Lingenfelter and the Vette Doctor
FWIW, when I bought my LPE built 427 car... I paid book value for it. The LPE name and attached receipts were the only reason I paid close to the sellers asking price for the car.

That said, if I ever unload the car in the future, I expect that I won't LOSE money as a result of the motor build and supporting bolt on mods, but I imagine it will take longer to sell as a result of the diminished market size that such a car could be marketed to...

Do what you want to the car, keep it tasteful, and don't expect to get your money back on mods. Its like buying a brand new car, you take an immediate hit on value for the privilege of being the first owner, but there is value in that for some people. The value in your modifications is for you only, and possibly a bonus to the cars next owner
Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 AM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

I guess im on the opposite. Mods don't scare me. mine was stock when i bought it (not anymore). What scares me away is a guy selling a 8-13 year old car with really low miles. I just see a car sitting, and seals going bad and everything just rotting away. I always think a car like that will have more problems than a car that actually gets driven. I look at the condition, and if it is good, im good.

Get notified of new replies

To Return on investment: MARKET VALUE OF MODIFIED VS. STOCK VETTES

Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ksvette74
... What scares me away is a guy selling a 8-13 year old car with really low miles. I just see a car sitting, and seals going bad and everything just rotting away. ...
Neither the track nor the strip is usually a long haul.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
If there's one thing I've learned over the years, nobody buys a sports car to drive like a Prius. I laugh at the people who say "never seen rain and never beat on"...

You mean to tell me you've never went wide open throttle in the car? I'm not saying you always need to beat the **** out of your car, or do it all the time... But c'mon!

I didn't do a H/C/n2o setup to not enjoy the power. I don't drive the car like I stole it, but occasionally I'll open the car up. I take excellent care of the car though. It has been driven through he rain, but it won't melt. I only have professionals work on it, use all of the best stuff, and never cut corners with the car. It gets a Mobil 1 full synthetic oil change every 2k miles.

I'd rather buy a car from someone who tells me they enjoyed the car and took good care of it, than someone who feeds me a line of BS about how the car hasn't ever been driven past 2k rpm's.
Better rethink the word nobody because your talking to one and the car was driven by the original owner the same way. He was even particular about who he would let test drive it. Probably a surprise to you , but not everyone that owns a Corvette is immature. There are some that buy a Corvette for the style and quality but do drive them like a Prius ( Whatever the h*** that is ) You think changing the oil often and using good oil is taking care of the car. As you mature , you will probably know better. By the way if you ever decide to sell your car using this forum, it is easy to research your comments about how you treated your car.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Better rethink the word nobody because your talking to one and the car was driven by the original owner the same way. He was even particular about who he would let test drive it. Probably a surprise to you , but not everyone that owns a Corvette is immature. There are some that buy a Corvette for the style and quality but do drive them like a Prius ( Whatever the h*** that is ) You think changing the oil often and using good oil is taking care of the car. As you mature , you will probably know better. By the way if you ever decide to sell your car using this forum, it is easy to research your comments about how you treated your car.
agree

i have met more than a few vette owners who really don't drive the car in rain, even here in the PNW. a lot of the same guys don't even rail the car on corvette club lap days down at PIR {race track}

much much more likely to find a vette that's cared for like this than say an s2000 which attracts either a younger demographic that rails the car or a joe blow drivers who do little maintenance.

Quick Reply: Return on investment: MARKET VALUE OF MODIFIED VS. STOCK VETTES