Sponsored by:

Frame VIN stamping question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 AM
JCox23
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Frame VIN stamping question...

So my 02 Z is in the body shop having some work done and I went in to see the progress (which is going very slow by the way) and I noticed that the front right side frame horn has a stamping of the VIN on it. The odd part is that it appears that there was originally a different VIN stamped on there, and then they stamped "X's" through that one and then stamped the current VIN in. (See pic below) I just thought it was odd and was wondering if anybody knows why GM would have done this?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never seen that one from a factory before.....I'm going to subscribe to this thread to see what stories/reasons might come up.

Of course we will assume that your car was not a wreck recovery rebuild with a new frame or frame sections from a different doner car....I have seen really top notch body shops stamp the correct VIN into doner car parts, or new replacement parts that are unmarked, but your photo looks like factory stamping to me, same style exactly.

....as the guy on the old Laugh-In TV show from the late 60s used to say...
" Very Interesting"
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm going to subscribe too. Have not heard of that happening before from the factory.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM
JCox23
Racer

Before I bought the car I ran the VIN through CarFax and through GM and No major accendents had been reported but I know mine will show up now.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I really don't think the factory would do something like that, I have found that carfax misses a lot because the way the repair was done and not reported. I bet at some point if you have to have the vin numbers checked you will have issues the way it was done.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There was a thread about this a little while back on here. Forgot the explanation, but I think the conclusion was that it was done by the factory.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't it just be possible that the factory stamped the wrong vin? All it takes is to screw up one of those 16 numbers, and these cars were made by humans...
Old 07-30-2012, 05:33 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you make out what the xxxx VIN? To me it looks like it reads a #2 cpe or #3 vert. Definitely not #1 hdtp. Also, an LS1 (G), not an LS6 (S).
Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I don't have any input on how/why that happened, but it occurs to me if it was a factory job then you might have something really rare and unique - kind of like a coin that escaped the mint that a coin afficianado would consider worth having. It sure doesn't look like something that someone did later in its life - the cross-out stamping just looks too precise. Is this both on the side rail and front cross member? Good luck to you.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
JCox23
Racer

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I don't have any input on how/why that happened, but it occurs to me if it was a factory job then you might have something really rare and unique - kind of like a coin that escaped the mint that a coin afficianado would consider worth having. It sure doesn't look like something that someone did later in its life - the cross-out stamping just looks too precise. Is this both on the side rail and front cross member? Good luck to you.
It is only on the right frame rail that i noticed. Both the body technician and I agreed it didn't appear to have any proior frame work done to it.

I was hoping that it was just a rare mistake so thats why I would see if anyone has heard or seen of any such thing before. I dont know of any body shop that would have the ability to be THAT precise or have the tooling to do that.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was as discussion on the forum about this recently. Here it is:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-question.html
Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 PM
JCox23
Racer

Originally Posted by 1986coupe
There was as discussion on the forum about this recently. Here it is:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-question.html
Awesome! Thanks for the finding that and posting! makes me feel better now lol
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 PM
JCox23
Racer

As posted in the above link, I will post here so others following can read the explaination:

Originally Posted by 1BACORVETTE
Ok....the first of a possible answer for my frame rail vin question. I said in an above string, that I was in contact with a club out of Bowling Green. To be exact it's the "Bowling Green Assembly Corvette Club". The club members worked on the assembly line from various periods of models. So far the president has sent out some emails regarding my question. Here is the latest email to me from Charles D. Chrisley. I am in hopes of several other emails to validate the stamping question: From Dave........

My first thought is, right around 2003, I was the Safety Trainer at the plant and associate Safety Rep. We were locating and installing a new Vin Machine into the trim department that put the vin on the rails early in the build process. There was some serious problems with the noise, and with the tuning of the machine as well as movement in the location of the machine, my guess is that there was a minor sequense issue, thus the changing of the Vin to match. I will let you know what my contacts say probably later today. end of email.

I will repost any other responses as they come in in case you might be interested.
Dave Bunker
Originally Posted by 1BACORVETTE
I wanted to put this question to bed with a final answer. An answer that should interest those of you following this string. The president of the Assembly line club in Bowling Green emailed me back with this:

Dear Dave:
The Xing out of the Vin on the frame is standard procedure if there is any sequence or equipment problem. As long as the Vin matches on the dash and the engine matches, everything is good. No repair shops really have the ability to duplicate our stamping procedure and this comes from Head of Quality. I hope this puts your mind at ease, noe Drive It Like You Stole It! :-) We would love to have you as a club member, you can access a application at www.bgacorvetteclub.com Take Care and be Safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame VIN stamping question...

Quick Reply: Frame VIN stamping question...