Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who HASN'T installed a Column Lock Bypass and why not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Who HASN'T installed a Column Lock Bypass and why not?

I've been re-visiting this topic and reading the dozens of threads on the forum. Seeing that it's only a $50 fix that would prevent headaches in the future, why would someone not install the CLB?

I personally have not. In all honestly, it's just laziness on my part.

Your two cents?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Laziness is not even an excuse with the LMC5. It's pretty quick and easy. I've heard of several people ordering one, along with the unlocker and just keeping it in their car in case they get the dreaded column lock.

Last edited by Suthunman; 07-29-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Grainraiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not installed mines yet because it has been 105 degrees outside. As soon as the temperature cools down I will install it.

Reggie
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You better do it. Its going to catch you when you least expect it. Mine happened one saturday morning at the gas station. I had just cleaned and waxed my car the day before and was headed to a car meet. As soon as I got back in the car after filling up it told me to pull key wait 10 seconds. The good mood of the day went way down all of a sudden....I was able to shake it free after about 10 minutes of me about to break the steering wheel off but I was able to drive it straight home and wait for the bypass to come in the mail..
Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

My column lock works fine...and I'm pretty much of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" crowd. The LMC5 is stowed in a rear compartment in cases I ever needs it!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 AM
GK
Burning Brakes

How is the LMC5 different than the other CLB solutions?

The ones I have seen on here and fleabay have a square shaped module with a cigarette adapter.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GK
How is the LMC5 different than the other CLB solutions?

The ones I have seen on here and fleabay have a square shaped module with a cigarette adapter.
This should pretty much explain it all about the marvelous LMC5.
http://complianceparts.com/
Old 07-29-2012, 12:24 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Haven't done it to the FRC yet. My 2000 Coupe had GM's recall work done on it and was fine after that. FRC has done the CL on me once in the 10 months I've owned it.

I'll get around to it eventually. I don't drive it enough to worry.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM
GK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CactusCat
This should pretty much explain it all about the marvelous LMC5.
http://complianceparts.com/
From what I read, this is an alternate solution to the Column Lock issue? The column lock physically stays in place, but just doesn't function anymore.

Also, you don't need to the slightly more involved removal of the knee pad to use the square-box version with the cigarette adapter?

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by GK
From what I read, this is an alternate solution to the Column Lock issue? The column lock physically stays in place, but just doesn't function anymore.

Also, you don't need to the slightly more involved removal of the knee pad to use the square-box version with the cigarette adapter?

Correct me if I am wrong.
That is correct. Both the LMC5 and the CLB disconnect the locking mechanism but leave them physically in place. The cigarette lighter adapter you get with the CLB is to unlock the locking mechanism. You have to buy the unlocker from Compliance to go with the LMC5.

I've never installed a CLB but it's my understanding the LMC5 is the easier install. From what I've seen I would assume that is correct. Also, the LMC5 is connected directly to the BCM. The wiring and relay that is necessary to make the CLB work properly is disconnected, when using the LMC5, doing away with any problems that they might cause.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 AM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

By coincidence I just installed LMC5 today. Not difficult, just awkward to get at, especially in a garage in FL with no air conditioning....
Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's my understanding that '01 and later C5's don't have this problem. That's been my reasoning for not being proactive with a CLB. Is this correct or am I operating on borrowed time?

Okie
Old 07-29-2012, 01:20 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Haven't done it to the FRC yet. My 2000 Coupe had GM's recall work done on it and was fine after that. FRC has done the CL on me once in the 10 months I've owned it.

I'll get around to it eventually. I don't drive it enough to worry.
I also had GM recall work done to mine 4 years ago and it works fine. Don't know what kind of magic they did but in between had a bad battery that gave me lots of grief but did not effect the CLB in the least, call me lucky?! Greetings, Rob
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude
It's my understanding that '01 and later C5's don't have this problem. That's been my reasoning for not being proactive with a CLB. Is this correct or am I operating on borrowed time?

Okie
Okie,

I believe that is correct for the cars with an automatic transmission.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 AM
GK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suthunman
That is correct. Both the LMC5 and the CLB disconnect the locking mechanism but leave them physically in place. The cigarette lighter adapter you get with the CLB is to unlock the locking mechanism. You have to buy the unlocker from Compliance to go with the LMC5.

I've never installed a CLB but it's my understanding the LMC5 is the easier install. From what I've seen I would assume that is correct. Also, the LMC5 is connected directly to the BCM. The wiring and relay that is necessary to make the CLB work properly is disconnected, when using the LMC5, doing away with any problems that they might cause.
Thank you for the clarification.

So, there are two solutions. First is square adapter that needs to be installed under the dash. Second is LMC5.

I checked out the link you gave me and other sites discussing the LMC5. There was no mention of a cigarette adapter.

Why would one pick one method over the other?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:07 AM
DvX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the later years still prone to this? im in an 04 am i liable to get stuck one day?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:08 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I had problems with the column locking on me in 2004, about a year after buying the car, I had a long tow, well about 60 miles and even with a free tow with insurance (they only cover so much) I paid around 100 bucks to get home.

Called GM and told them, and they claimed the recall was done in 1999, I said if it was done, why is it still locking up?

Finally months later, they approved for it to be fixed under recall again, my girlfriend took it in for me, as I could not miss work, so I don't know what they did exactly, have the receipt from it, it just says something like service recall.

All these years, it only did it once, and this was after letting the car sit.

Well, I saw video on here, a guy from GM saying if your battery does not have enough reserve capacity, the column lock will malfunction as it does not get enough voltage to some module to know everything is working, and it will not unlock.

I had a incorrect battery (Kragen battery a previous owner put in it), and have since bought the correct AC Delco battery, and never had a column lock issue since.

I'm aware there is still a possibility, but have procrastinated buying the aftermarket kit, what the GM guy said made sense to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Who HASN'T installed a Column Lock Bypass and why not?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I haven't done it yet because i'm not sure if it's necessary for my car, which is a 2000 auto with 34,000 miles, and had the recall done at the dealer. So, is it still possible that it could still randomly lock up, with the exception of a low battery? Would it be prudent to order the LMC5 just in case or am I in the clear?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by GK
Thank you for the clarification.

So, there are two solutions. First is square adapter that needs to be installed under the dash. Second is LMC5.

I checked out the link you gave me and other sites discussing the LMC5. There was no mention of a cigarette adapter.

Why would one pick one method over the other?
The "unlocker" for the LMC5 is not a cigarette lighter adapter, it connects directly to the battery because your battery is disconnected to install the LMC5 and it must be purchased separately.

As for one method over the other, that's all a matter of opinion. I went with the LMC5 because it connects directly to the BCM, eliminating some of the wiring and a relay that has to stay in place if you use the CLB. I believe it is also easier to install than the CLB. The LMC5 comes with great customer service, according to everything I have read here. The LMC5 has had some success with fixing problems with the earlier model cars that the CLB seemed to have a problem with. The LMC5 is not perfect and does not have a 100% success rate but they do have an alternate called the LMC5-R that they gladly send as a replacement if there are problems with the regular one.

The LMC5 is fairly new when compared to the CLB. The CLB was THE fix for a long time and apparently does a good job. There are a bunch of C5 Corvettes that have been running around with a CLB for a long time with no problems.

That's about all I can tell you. I'm not nearly as knowlegable as some around here on column lock issues. But it is one of the things I have done to my car since buying it.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm curious if anyone might be able to help me with my peculiar clb issues.

I did some digging and found a diy CLB writeup and grabbed the necessary parts from digikey. After making my own CLB I know it works as my fuel cutoff is no longer an issue, however the stupid and rather anoyying dic message "service column lock," remains. I checked and triple checked the diy and my work, unplugged it as if OEM where fuel cutoff comes back. When I plug it in fuel issue gone, column lock issue gone, but the message remains. After 2 weeks of trying to figure out if it was something I did, I decided to leave it be. Unfortunately I now have to reset the dic every startup.

I' don't know how many times I've cleared out the history/codes in the dic, if you were wondering if id ever checked my codes. Code is no longer there actually, so the reason why this message doesn't go away is irritating to say the least.

If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by nvusgt; 07-29-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Who HASN'T installed a Column Lock Bypass and why not?