Sponsored by:

Been getting some pretty dirty looks in the vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Khaalathas
Never any dirty looks when im in mine. I get lots of Whoa Cool car and Is that a race car from kids and teenagers. And alot of must be nice to be able to afford such a nice car from adults. I explain to them they arent that expensive you just have to be willing to live with some impracticality. People always think that its way newer then what it is.
I get this allot. People have made the comment "that's a $60K car!" Or "Wow, I bet that cost allot." etc. No one believes its a 99 and that I only paid 15k for it. They think Im in a brand new Vette.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

We are going into an era of entitlement generation growing up to realize they aren't actually entitled to anything.... They actually have to earn it. When that reality hits them in the face they will start to despise anyone who has the things they want and thought they would be GIVEN. I had to laugh when I was behind two maybe 17 yr old guys at the 7-11 when they were talking. One said he was going to get a job making at least $25-30k and would easily be able to afford a Lamborghini payment. I guess i was that clueless once. Until youve played ball in the league you envy, you never really understand it like the players do. Not to say little league doesn't have as much fun (or more) than the Major league or Varsity team..... But at least they all try. The haters are usually the ones that don't even try to play or can't make the team. I've been on both ends of the spectrum and there's one thing I've learned over everything else. Success is getting what you want.... But more importantly... Happiness is wanting what you get.

Don't worry about people giving you dirty looks. Just smile and realize they may just be having a bad day.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by NukeC5
I get this allot. People have made the comment "that's a $60K car!" Or "Wow, I bet that cost allot." etc. No one believes its a 99 and that I only paid 15k for it. They think Im in a brand new Vette.
To many non-car enthusiasts that work paycheck to paycheck (or no paycheck) a 1990 Vette and a 2012 Vette are both similar enough to assume they are rich boy toys. Even as much as I know about Vettes, a nice C5 can easily have over $100k invested in it if bought new... And they all look pretty sweet
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think part of it is also the fact many see this car as a toy only. So even though some tricked out Jeeps or Pickups might cost more they see those as having more utility. So it's a double whammy of cost and being a toy in the minds of most people.

Who cares though, just enjoy em!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Camaro_94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a lot of dirty looks in mine. At car shows or just driving down the road. Some of the clowns in the corvette club absolutely despise me for what I did to my Z06. (cam/head/n2o setup with the car cosmetically untouched). I really don't care anymore though. Some of those people me ashamed to be a "corvette owner".

But I do get a lot of positive reactions too. Tons of thumbs up, smiles, and compliments.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Txsailor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I am too unconcious to notice but I don't remember any haters when driving my car. I get lots of complements. No where do I get more than at the denist office of all places. There are three women who work there and they love my car. One took pictures of it so she could show them to her little boy who loves Corvettes and dreams of having one some day.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by rttmike
This is recent. My wife and I took an 8 hour round trip in the vette last weekend. I am used to getting positive looks from people that actually like seeing an american icon on the road. But this last weekend that was not the case. I do not drive like an *** either. I am 31 years old so I am not the youngest guy to own a vette either.

Does anybody else get this? Or am I just over sensative?
Its not you!
There has always been a "special jealousy" from the "have nots" about Corvettes....Just ignore the morons...I do not give a rats azz what anyone thinks of my possessions that I have worked so hard for....skrew the little jealous losers
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not just because you drive a Vette! Losers will allways say something negitive about any nice car or anything else you have that they don't because of their own lack of priorities and bad decisions over the years. If you spend all your extra income on cigerettes, booze, drugs etc... over the years you shouldn't be surprised that you cant afford a Vette, boat, streetrod, swimming pool, nice house etc..
When driving my streetrod I always have some clown say "MUST BE NICE or "CANT HIDE MONEY"! I get to the point that i don't even want to drive these cars at time.
P.S. I'm not rich [money wise] but i have been carefull with my money and saved and invested wisely and so far It's paid off. I'm 65 years old and have never had a credit card or bought a lottery ticket, Hell, i don't even have a cell phone.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM
djamigolxr50
Burning Brakes

kids' reactions to vettes are the most unbiased and genuine reactions you can get
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Okay, I am by no means taking sides here one way or another, and yes, I completely agree that people's personal petty jealousies play a big part in the negative comments we all experience at times.

However, I have seen a few comments such as "if you didn't smoke and drink, you too could afford a palatial estate with a stable of Italian supercars, etc., etc." Yes, I am exagerating for effect and this has been eating at me since my last post in this thread, so I feel I must comment.

It is a very simple thing to criticize others for their habits, vices, or addictions that you disagree with or view as less than intelligent life choices. However, it is very easy to stand on the outside and criticize without having any idea whatsoever what course their life has taken that brought them to where they are today.

If you had a very close and loving family that helped you to make healthy and wise decicions on your journey to adulthood and had the means to reinforce those teachings, more power to you and I am very glad for your good fortune!! Many, many, many people in the real world did not, and do not now have those benefits. Some just have to make their way the best they know how without the benefit of much positive guidance. Actually, I was the first person in my entire family to get to go to college and only because of a scholorship for that particular purpose!!!!! Also didn't happen until my late forties!!!!

Also, many years ago, almost everyone smoked as the dangers were not really understood!! If you didn't smoke, you were the wierdo. As a kid, I used to hate it when we would finish a meal at a restaraunt (a thoroughly enjoyable experience) and us kids would have to sit there quietly while my parents enjoyed their stinky after-dinner cigarettes!!!!!!! They should have at least bought us a nice dessert to enjoy at the same time!!!! But, nooooooooo......

All I'm saying is that it is real easy to say that if you just did what I did, you could be here too....... But that is nowhere near the reality of the situation. Everyone gets dealt a little different hand in life and yes, some respond more favorably than others, but we all try to make the best decisions we can with the knowledge and experience we have to draw from.

Bottom line is that there will always be lazy good-for-nothings, and there will also always be elitest privileged ****** that never deserved what they have!!!!! However, I hope that these will always be in the minority of the people in the world. There will always be petty jealousies, but how we respond to them as individuals will help to determine our own worth as human beings!!!!!!!

There is more of value in this world than money!!!!!!

Sorry. Rant over.

DSTURBD

Last edited by DSTURBD; 07-31-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Vetteriffic
Pro

Never worry about what people you don't know think about you...you know who you are and what your values are....just care about what the ones you love care....as they know who you are.....and enjoy every moment in your vette.....

Last edited by Vetteriffic; 07-31-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only get the stink eye from mustang drivers. Most other V8's seem to have thumbs up sticking out the window. :
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 PM
gizmominou
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crazy Cowboy
We are going into an era of entitlement generation growing up to realize they aren't actually entitled to anything.... They actually have to earn it. When that reality hits them in the face they will start to despise anyone who has the things they want and thought they would be GIVEN. I had to laugh when I was behind two maybe 17 yr old guys at the 7-11 when they were talking. One said he was going to get a job making at least $25-30k and would easily be able to afford a Lamborghini payment. I guess i was that clueless once. Until youve played ball in the league you envy, you never really understand it like the players do. Not to say little league doesn't have as much fun (or more) than the Major league or Varsity team..... But at least they all try. The haters are usually the ones that don't even try to play or can't make the team. I've been on both ends of the spectrum and there's one thing I've learned over everything else. Success is getting what you want.... But more importantly... Happiness is wanting what you get.

Don't worry about people giving you dirty looks. Just smile and realize they may just be having a bad day.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
dood73
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I seem to get the tools on the road that want to ride my back bumper, or got 20 mph over the limit to pass me on the highway. Everyone wants to prove they are faster. I could care less about proving anything. I know at will I can dust them and their minivans or civics with the ridiculous fart-can exhausts.

But if someone comes up and asks me about the car, I'm more than happy to show it to them. I think most people are interested to see one up close to see what it is all about. I agree that most people also think they are crazy expensive and are somehow "wasteful".

But I worked my buns off to get into the position to buy one so if they can't deal with that, then it is their problem.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
mxz800
Pro

Originally Posted by dood73

But I worked my buns off to get into the position to buy one so if they can't deal with that, then it is their problem.
Now remember You didn't do it on your own, just ask Obama.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mxz800
Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mxz800
I agree, we live in a society that provides a good framework in which an individual can be successful.

Get notified of new replies

To Been getting some pretty dirty looks in the vette

Old 08-01-2012, 04:37 AM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I made my previous comment that this is so stupid to care about what others think.
Who cares, we have what we like and I personally don’t give a flying f**k what anybody else thinks. Do I own a corvette to impress others? The answer is no. I never look to the side to see if somebody is looking at me or my car. I may just see them from my peripheral vision by accident.
It’s nice to get an admiring look but that’s about it as far as I’m concerned.

Almost all of the artwork I have in my house are very high end 1 off pieces. That stuff isn’t visible from the outside.
The only people that see it are my wife, myself and very close friends, which we don’t have a lot of. We don’t care about the # of people that we hang with, no BS “we have lots of friends and enjoy entertaining.” We don’t need to be forced into boxes just to fill in a void for no other reason.
It’s hard sometimes to “live in the moment” and realize that these are the “golden years.” These years and moments are there no matter what your age.
We need to make ourselves happy and not care about what other people think.

Last edited by StevieB; 08-01-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
you can say that again

Peace
Chip
I agree...

And I'm 29
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
Okay, I am by no means taking sides here one way or another, and yes, I completely agree that people's personal petty jealousies play a big part in the negative comments we all experience at times.

However, I have seen a few comments such as "if you didn't smoke and drink, you too could afford a palatial estate with a stable of Italian supercars, etc., etc." Yes, I am exagerating for effect and this has been eating at me since my last post in this thread, so I feel I must comment.

It is a very simple thing to criticize others for their habits, vices, or addictions that you disagree with or view as less than intelligent life choices. However, it is very easy to stand on the outside and criticize without having any idea whatsoever what course their life has taken that brought them to where they are today.

If you had a very close and loving family that helped you to make healthy and wise decicions on your journey to adulthood and had the means to reinforce those teachings, more power to you and I am very glad for your good fortune!! Many, many, many people in the real world did not, and do not now have those benefits. Some just have to make their way the best they know how without the benefit of much positive guidance. Actually, I was the first person in my entire family to get to go to college and only because of a scholorship for that particular purpose!!!!! Also didn't happen until my late forties!!!!

Also, many years ago, almost everyone smoked as the dangers were not really understood!! If you didn't smoke, you were the wierdo. As a kid, I used to hate it when we would finish a meal at a restaraunt (a thoroughly enjoyable experience) and us kids would have to sit there quietly while my parents enjoyed their stinky after-dinner cigarettes!!!!!!! They should have at least bought us a nice dessert to enjoy at the same time!!!! But, nooooooooo......

All I'm saying is that it is real easy to say that if you just did what I did, you could be here too....... But that is nowhere near the reality of the situation. Everyone gets dealt a little different hand in life and yes, some respond more favorably than others, but we all try to make the best decisions we can with the knowledge and experience we have to draw from.

Bottom line is that there will always be lazy good-for-nothings, and there will also always be elitest privileged ****** that never deserved what they have!!!!! However, I hope that these will always be in the minority of the people in the world. There will always be petty jealousies, but how we respond to them as individuals will help to determine our own worth as human beings!!!!!!!

There is more of value in this world than money!!!!!!

Sorry. Rant over.

DSTURBD
Yeh, right! "It takes a village" Hillery Clinton" "You didn't build that" Husain Obama! I'm just a winner in lifes lottery i guess.

Quick Reply: Been getting some pretty dirty looks in the vette