Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed (long read) sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM
RockyF150
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed (long read) sorry.

I was unsure on weather to post a thread or not but I am back and forth on what to do.

I took my car to a shop (will remain unnamed for time being) a very reputatable shop. I had it picked up in November 2011, I needed a clutch or so I thought. The car drove but had a nasty rattle, bad sound. They had the car and they called needing money for a clutch so I did that. Then they had the car for awhile so I called. Well when the car was tore down they found out the crank was broken. It wasn't the clutch making the noise, but b/c it ran and drove they were shocked it was the crank. We came to a decision to have an LS1 built and put into it trying to reuse most of the parts I already had. They send out their engines to another reputable engine building shop. Some time past so I called and all was going as planned. I'd say over a month later still no engine. And maybe another month I call and they had said the LS1 they had and put together had something wrong. They had to take it apart, weld and smooth up and then on reinstalling something was shakey and wasn't right,but b/c of a time crunch I needed the car back. So the shop went w/ an LS3 and built it and as long as they supplied the conversion parts it was ok. Well ok so now I'm getting a new engine, better for same cost. So awhile past and I called well they have the LS3 but no conversion parts, waited more, called and no engine, then the engine they had they found out it was for another customers car. So some more time passed and they got the engine. The correct engine but once again no LS3 conversion parts. So waiting again. Well they got the conversion parts. Now we're into this month July, engine is in, runs, drives they need to put in break in miles for tune. They drove it around some and engine throttle is sticking and the a/c blew up on them. Well to the end of the story, the guy that put the engine together was the one putting the miles on it. He was going to pick up some valve covers at the powder coaters, and there was someone there that the driver either knew or didn't, idk couldn't understand fully what I was told but he wanted to take him for a drive so he can give the guy that put the engine together some idea as to what the throttle issue might be. So taking him for a drive he pushed on the accelerater more than usual and slid the back end into a mail box that had the brick around it.

So this is where it stands. I've got pics of the damage. Quarter panel, (L5) z06 wheel, mps2 tire, damage to door, rocker, z06 brake screen, ground effect, gas door, rear fascia, spoiler (caravaggio), deck lid w/ custom paint, conv lid cover.

The shop said it's up to the owner of the mail box weather insurance gets involved or not. They want to keep from that so I can get the car back faster and they can repair it better. But my issue they have it at a chassis shop (which I don't know the shop name) they are doing it in some way so that it's some guy checking the chassis. idk what that means but it doesn't sound like they are going thru the shop. The body shop they want to use who are supposably the best I have the name of the shop but was told not to call b/c the car is going to be done after hours.

And the custom painter I have the name of but doesn't work at a shop or the shop is unknown.

I think that is all. I am not telling the shops name b/c they are a forum sponser I believe.

What I need from everyone here is suggestions on what to do. If the cars chassis is bent I don't want it back. And if it is what's stopping them from going ahead and fixing it but not telling me. If it's not I have a big issue with depreciation of value. If I ever sold the car, it has been wrecked so the value is gone even if it was repaired well. So I'm in a tough spot, I need help as to what to do.

If the shop wants to post up, they can. I'm not giving out the name of the shop though. I have tried my hardest to be understanding but I'm at a breaking point.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 643 Likes on 498 Posts

Wow. That is crazy.

I wouldn't want that shop to do anything more to the car.

I would talk to the owner about buying the car from you at what it was worth when you took it in to them.

If they won't work with you on buying it, I would be looking at a lawsuit. I really hate lawyers and lawsuits, but yours is a case that could be the exception.

Also, if they don't buy it from you, I would still get it back and get separate quotes on doing the repairs (mechanical and body) and try to decide if it is totaled and/or where to fix it.

You might also talk to your insurance company. Frequently they can help you out while they work to recover the money from other companies (like the shop's insurance)

Sorry about your problems and good luck.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

If they are not up-front about problems while working on your car (big or small) they are trying to cover something up. Sounds like shady business to me.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

It sounds as though that shop is as incompetent as they can get. Lots of excuses and no action. I'd drop them in a heart beat and find another "reputable" shop.

And you should be down there every damn day checking on them instead of waiting 1 month or 2 before even contacting them!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Call the Police and get an attorney. That's it Period!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If these people don't nominate you for man of the yr. award I would be surprised. First off you owe nobody nothing this is out right BS you have patiance I would be flipping out about now. Best of luck to you

Pops
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM
-Blake-
Intermediate

Sorry to say this but lawyer up ASAP. The longer the wait the more of an issue u will have. I had a sim problem when I had my car painted. They messed the color up one time, a lot of orange pill the 2nd time, then one of the guys backed it into another customers car. I got a lawyer and took him with me to the shop. In the end they paid for my car to go to another shop of my choosing and to repair the bumper along with $500 for every month they had my car for my troubles/rental car fee.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do as did post number seven. Lawyer up and take him with you to the shop. You are in this deep because of the good guy attitude. Time to get it over with. Good luck. By the way, it's time to post up the shop so some one else doesn't get sucker punched.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Forum Vendor or not, something smells real bad here. If it was my Vette I would have checked with them every day in person but I am perfect, yeah right!

I hope you have documented this story or it may not end well for you. Get the facts. Get some legal advice. The CF has some reputation to protect vendor wise but you better have your ducks in a row with the CF before you name names. I would contact Moderators via PM before posting out in the open.

Good luck and I hope everything works out!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,575 Likes on 14,123 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You need to be face to face with the owner of the shop that is supposedly working on your car and get a very detailed breakdown of just what the heck is going on. If they don't come clean with you, go find a good lawyer and take it to court.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 PM
RockyF150
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for the info. I am over 3 hours away or I would've been there face to face more often. I don't have 6 hours a day to take off and just go. Work and all. I have been trying to stay as calm thru all this as I can. They have even said that more than once.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
andy46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, thats nasty, I thought I had issues with a dealership I was hassling with.
Your situation is a mess, my suggestion, go to the shop with a lawyer and a flat deck, pick up the car, take it to another reputable shop, get a complete estimate to repair and finish any engine work involved, and sue the old shop for costs including the attorney.
Make them aware this is the plan, the only other option they have is buying the car from you, and covering the lawyer, or thats the route your going with them.
Stop being nice, didn't help me with the dealership at all, and ended up being just a waste of time.
Good luck!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 PM
LouWags
Pro

Wow, man. That's rough stuff. I'm in favor of lawyering up and getting it all resolved.

At this point, I wouldn't trust them with it any more and I'd take it to a body shop of my own choosing.

Good luck.

--Wag--
Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Foum vendor or not......what a SNAFU! I'd get a lawyer ASAP! Something is not right on their business model.

Name them!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 AM
George Hubert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dont call the paint shop????

You have to know that if the shop you are dealing with is trying to have the car fixed "after hours" some one is cheating the owner of the body shop as well as you. No legitimate shop would tell you not to call the body shop. The owner of the mail box has nothing whatever to do with it. You, my friend, are being hosed. Give the shop an ultimatum, buy the car or get a lawyer. My 2 cents worth.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 AM
mike5511
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
You need to be face to face with the owner of the shop that is supposedly working on your car and get a very detailed breakdown of just what the heck is going on. If they don't come clean with you, go find a good lawyer and take it to court.
I'm going with this answer.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 AM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by -Blake-
Sorry to say this but lawyer up ASAP. The longer the wait the more of an issue u will have. I had a sim problem when I had my car painted. They messed the color up one time, a lot of orange pill the 2nd time, then one of the guys backed it into another customers car. I got a lawyer and took him with me to the shop. In the end they paid for my car to go to another shop of my choosing and to repair the bumper along with $500 for every month they had my car for my troubles/rental car fee.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice needed (long read) sorry.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Read all these post and what do they tell you. All of us can't be wrong. Don't procrastinate any more. Do yourself a favor and get a lawyer.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Man this is rough. I've never heard of a shop driving a customer's car to break it in but I get around very much. I do understand the road test to check out the sticking throttle.
Hope you can get it all worked out to your satisfaction. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 AM
ronsrods222362
Pro

MD Events Coordinator

I would call a lawyer, yesterday.
If they are " fixing it after hours" is it safe to assume that all warranty work will be done after hours as well? I wouldn't let them fix a flat tire on my car based on your story.
Good Luck !

Quick Reply: Advice needed (long read) sorry.