Sponsored by:

Modifying or keeping Original

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
physman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying or keeping Original

I have read and I have seen pictures of people modifying their vettes to make them their own and unique. Personally, I like the idea of making your ride your own and making them stand out from the rest. But, I have also heard of people that like to keep their vettes original because it holds their value and makes them more desirable for people that are in the market for buying a used vette. For example, when I was trying to sell my 97 coupe, he said that the only reason why he was hesitant to buy is because it did not have the original stereo, which mine did not come with it when I bought the car. That has been on my mind when it comes to buying a new stereo for my 03 Z06. I was planning on keeping the original HU, but I am missing the bluetooth, the touch screen, Ipod interface, and GPS. Was thinking of going with Dennis and buying a stereo package including the modification of my console to a double din setup. I have seen the work and it is amazing and very professional looking. The problem that I am having is when I get my DD console conversion, if I want to return my vette to original I would have to buy a new console.

Now that is only one example. Of course their is engine, exhaust, and other interior modifications.

What is your opinion on this?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Modify, but keep your stock parts to put back on when you sell. Then you can sell the parts for profit too.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I really and truely think that it makes very little difference if it's original or modded when it comes time to sell your C5. Some mods can make the car more desirable.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
04MSZ06
Racer

That's why I make it a point not to sell the original stuff when modifying. If you box up your original items you can always put them back when you sell it. Not only will people looking for stock vette's appreciate it, but you might make some money selling the aftermarket stuff. Even if you bought the car without a 1.5 din radio bezel, you might be able to find one in the for sale section and keep it on hand when you're ready to sell it. No matter what, I'll always modify my Vette the way I want it.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

My take is mod it to what you desire, then either sell it for what you want or return to OEM. There are too many stock Vettes out there to buy than giving away a modded one for nothing. Tell the prospective buyer to bother someone else rather than try to con you down and give it away. Personally I'd rather see them spend boat loads of money getting it to the same level of mods.

My new Motto... Make the buggers pay through the nose!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

You pretty much answered your own question. If you are concerned about resale value down the road, keep the car as stock as possible.

If you plan to keep your C5 (like I do), then modify it to your personal taste.

Like any other project, it's always good to begin with the end in mind. Decide what you want out of your car and work towards that goal. My goal was to improve on the areas that IMO GM did not focus on or where technology has advanced since the original 1997 design. The interior (leather seats, double din NAV, upgraded stereo), the lighting (ACA HIDs, HID Fogs, LED Halos, LED switchback corners) and general performance improvements (Koni shocks, CCW Wheels/non run-flat tires, Z06 sway bars, Baer Eradispeed rotors, ceramic brake pads, thermal tunnel plate, Corsa X-Pipe/Indy Exhaust, Callaway Honker CAI and tune) were the areas I focused on.

Most non-Corvette owners don't realize the modifications I've performed until I tell them and they then compare my vert next to a stock C5.

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-31-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Stock C5's, even the Z06, are too slow!
Other than that, stock is fine.

Ron
Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,280 Likes on 13,958 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've modified every Corvette I've owned, but I also keep the stock parts just in case I want to eventually sell it - I can return it to stock. I searched the forum for used parts in great condition before I did any mods like painting my center console area - yes it costs a bit more, but I can always sell the mods later to recoup some of the costs back.

If you want that double din stereo in the car and still want to be able to go back to stock if needed, I don't know of another option but to find another radio bezel and have that one modified.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your personality will determine if you modify the car or not. You either have the itch or you don't. I have promised myself to not modify many of my cars when I had them. "Leave them stock and just drive it" I would say. 2 weeks later I'm spending $1k on suspension, engine, or exhaust parts and so on. The key is to mod it tastefully. That's the only word I can come up with to describe it correctly. Too many people F these cars up very quickly. 75% of the Corvette catalog I have contains tacky disgusting parts that will make you the laughing stock of the show, i.e. any type of chrome stick on accessory.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Camaro_94
Instructor

Mine looks stock from the outside but has can/head/n2o setup.

I changed the car because it was what I wanted. I'm not worried about the next guy or resale value.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by KillSwitchNY
...... I can come up with to describe it correctly. Too many people F these cars up very quickly. 75% of the Corvette catalog I have contains tacky disgusting parts that will make you the laughing stock of the show, i.e. any type of chrome stick on accessory.
I'm so thankful we have at least one guy on this forum who can spot the people who are laughing at us.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

I'm doing some minor mods, mainly because I like it that way, but also because it's an '03 A/E and I'd like to retain that look. Easily removed items like center armrest cover, etc. If it were a less "rare" model I'd likely think differently.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 AM
KillSwitchNY
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I'm so thankful we have at least one guy on this forum who can spot the people who are laughing at us.
I don't see what you are trying to say? Literally I have no idea what you mean? I'm wondering if you have some of those accessories I described as being tacky in my opinion. It doesn't look like it according to your avatar considering it looks to be a classy white coupe, but if you do and I offended you, I'm sorry, I ignorantly assumed chrome stick on flame guys weren't forum members. I stepped out of line, especially while having my own tacky bumpers on my car

Or maybe you were agreeing with me, to which this whole explanation is moot
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Taking a look at the long view, I remember back in the 70's a lot of guys were customizing their Corvette's both C2's and C3's. Custom flares, adding tail lights, wild hoods, crazy interiors, you name it and it was probably done. I'm definitely not a purist, I don't have to have the correct hose clamps for my radiator connection , and I think that the ability of car owners to perform high quality mods has improved thru both skill and better materials and suppliers. Most of what we see being done today are mods you would not want to change as a prospective buyer or are easily changed back to stock. I would not change my mind about a mod I really wanted to do because of some future value consideration.

I know a lot of people get great satisfaction at having a car just as it rolled off the assembly line and that's a good thing in my mind. I would much rather go to a car show and see a perfectly restored 57 fuelie or 63 split window than someones idea of how Chevy should have done it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you bought your Corvette as an investment and it spends 99% of its life in a heated/airconditioned garage then leave it pure stock. I've never known any of those folks but they do exsist, they're just out of my class, economically speaking. Most of us bought our cars to drive and they will get dirty and possibly driven in the rain so the chances of them ever becoming a "collector car" is pretty rare.

Change what you want and keep the stock stuff, as much for yourself as the next owner. I have passed on buying a Corvette because of the elaborate sound system that took up a large portion of the cargo space. Others would have loved this system, just not me.

Okie
Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Like many have said, "It is a matter of personal taste."
I like some mods but will not do them because of cost or because I'm still happy with my vette the way it is. I bought my vette with cat backs and rims, I've changed out the shifter and added the mp3 hook up to the stereo and will leave it this way if I ever sell it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude
If you bought your Corvette as an investment and it spends 99% of its life in a heated/airconditioned garage then leave it pure stock. I've never known any of those folks but they do exsist, they're just out of my class, economically speaking. Most of us bought our cars to drive and they will get dirty and possibly driven in the rain so the chances of them ever becoming a "collector car" is pretty rare.

Change what you want and keep the stock stuff, as much for yourself as the next owner. I have passed on buying a Corvette because of the elaborate sound system that took up a large portion of the cargo space. Others would have loved this system, just not me.

Okie
I agree with 99% of what you said. This is just my opinion but I think every Corvette is a "collector car" or at least has that potential. No matter how it has been treated, used or not used, at some point in it's life, someone will look at it want it and save it before it's too late.

Get notified of new replies

To Modifying or keeping Original

Old 07-31-2012, 12:01 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I'm not a fan of stock cars. Mine have to be modded to my tastes.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

A lot of great answers....personally after I've gone so far modding, it's hard to look at stock. So like said, it's yours, mod as you please and be happy with it. As for me, my stock parts are long gone. If I ever do sell which I doubt, it's as is.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

My totally stock, factory original 70's era muscle car sold for some major $$ when the time came to part with it. Had I weakened and "modded" it I would have lost a lot of money. Oh, and I was very happy driving it as-built.

To mod or not to mod? It is fine either way. My case might have just been unusual. I am however, keeping my Corvettes stock.

Quick Reply: Modifying or keeping Original