Sponsored by:

Lets talk Seats....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Lets talk Seats....

I know what you are thinking....another seat thread?

I've just be doing a lot of thinking about seats lately. I've been e-mailing/PMing with Caravaggio, Apsis and DDMods. I know what is more cost effective.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Caravaggio Daytona Race Seats

These seats are normally made for the C6 and they are made from C6 seats. To have a C5 specific set made I would need to buy C6 seats and a set of C5 tracks, send them to Caravaggio and they would build a C5 specific set, but this could get pretty expensive;

Daytona Race Seats: $4850
Approximate Cost of C6 Seats in not-very-good condition: $600
Cost of C5 tracks: $300 (Probably will be more)
Shipping Costs to send them Parts: $100 (Probably Will Be More)

Total $5850 or about $2,925.00 per seat

Apsis Usa Super Deluxe

$5,888 for the pair. They will do a core exchange, so I don't have to provide them with anything, jsut send them my seats after I get the new ones.

Or Approximatly $2,944 per seat.

ProCar from DD Mods

About $2,000.00 for a pair of them wrapped in Custom Leather or $1,000.00 per seat. Obviously the most cost effective option, but Dennis is still working on making better brackets so they install properly.

And yes, I know about the Corbeau A4, etc.

I figured I can't be the only one thinking about these options. I want a more supportive seat in my vette.

Feel Free to share your thoughts.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I would go with Dennis.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I would go with Dennis.
I like the Look of all three, but his are more cost effective:

Carvaggio Daytona Race Seats

Apsis Super Deluxe

ProCar

Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Yeah I like all of them as well. But I always go with, "are the other choices really worth the cost difference" unless cost is no issue. Then I would go with the Apsis. They appear to be more formed to your legs seating positions.

But sitting a can of beer between your legs may be troublesome
Old 06-30-2012, 12:31 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Yeah I like all of them as well. But I always go with, "are the other choices really worth the cost difference" unless cost is no issue. Then I would go with the Apsis. They appear to be more formed to your legs seating positions.

It's not that cost is not an issue, but I can afford it right now. I have not spent any money on my vette in a long time, saving up for seats.

And Apsis can delete the leg cushion between your legs. I already checked because I have larger thighs. LOL
Old 06-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Nice seats, All of them, But there is no way I could spend 5K or more for a set, Heck that is almost half the price of the car.
Mr.Bill
I bought a set of Pro Car seats for my Camaro and I think I spent around 450 with the mounting gear.

Last edited by Mr.Bill; 06-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Nice seats, All of them, But there is no way I could spend 5K or more for a set, Heck that is almost half the price of the car.
Mr.Bill
I bought a set of Pro Car seats for my Camaro and I think I spent around 450 with the mounting gear.
Oh, I know. Cost is the reason I have not pulled the tirgger yet. Dennis getting the brackets perfected for the procar seats would make this decision much easier.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
Oh, I know. Cost is the reason I have not pulled the tirgger yet. Dennis getting the brackets perfected for the procar seats would make this decision much easier.
I am actually here with seats of out my car trying to rework the Procar brackets now.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:18 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I would agree!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Caravaggio also makes the race seat that is very comfy, and still retains the power options so its not a full race seat.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by charger21
Caravaggio also makes the race seat that is very comfy, and still retains the power options so its not a full race seat.

It's a lot cheaper too. But i don't know if I would describe it as comfy. It doesn't have much *** cushion. It's not bad though.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
I am actually here with seats of out my car trying to rework the Procar brackets now.

Well Dennis. That is good news.

Hope things go well for you.

And I've been told my butt would be too big for the Caravaggio Race seats. I almost bought a set on E-bay, but the seller talked me out of it. LOL-pretty honest guy.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

....I've just be doing a lot of thinking about seats lately. I've been e-mailing/PMing with Caravaggio, Apsis and DDMods. I know what is more cost effective.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Caravaggio Daytona Race Seats

Total $5850 or about $2,925.00 per seat

Apsis Usa Super Deluxe

Or Approximatly $2,944 per seat.

ProCar from DD Mods

About $2,000.00 for a pair of them wrapped in Custom Leather or $1,000.00 per seat. Obviously the most cost effective option

All prices above are certainly not "chump change".... I can't help but wonder what it would take to retrofit BMW seats. I think BMW seats are world class. What would it take cost-wise to retrofit in a C5 and is it less than the prices quoted above?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06ster
All prices above are certainly not "chump change".... I can't help but wonder what it would take to retrofit BMW seats. I think BMW seats are world class. What would it take cost-wise to retrofit in a C5 and is it less than the prices quoted above?
By the time you retrofit anything from another car, you might as well buy something aftermarket and new.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 AM
judocc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are all good points. I just received my seats back from APSISUSA. The one thing I need to mention is that there was NO core exchange as stated above. I had to send Jersey MY seats and wait while they were done and shipped back. Very long process to be without my car. Beautiful seats though.

Charli
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by judocc
These are all good points. I just received my seats back from APSISUSA. The one thing I need to mention is that there was NO core exchange as stated above. I had to send Jersey MY seats and wait while they were done and shipped back. Very long process to be without my car. Beautiful seats though.

Charli
But they are willing to do a core exchange.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
judocc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But they are willing to do a core exchange.
That was not an option. If I wanted them done, I had to send them my seats. I don't think they have many cores

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk Seats....

Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Since you asked, here's my two cents.

First what are your plans for the seats once installed?
Will you be using them with a harness set up for any track events, or are you just looking for something that holds your butt in place on the street?

If you intend to do any track/harness set up, the most important aspect to consider is not how your waist fits (that's important) but where the shoulder harness pass-thru is located as it compares to your shoulders once in the seat. If the holes are below your shoulder, move on and find another seat. This will cause major spinal issues if you are ever in an accident.

For street use, you need to consider whether or not the new seat has the compatibility to use the OEM seat belt receiver and that the seat belt will still hold you in place if needed to. In other words make sure the lap belt is not riding on the bolster area and thus NOT tight in your lap.

It appears everything you are considering so far all run on adjustable tracks and not a fixed set up. Corbeau makes a double locking slider mount specific for the C5, I am just not sure what other seats will work with that mount.

I am on my 3rd seat now and I love it, started with OEM, then Corbeau FX1 Pro and now Cobra. I do some track events and drive it on the street, so the seat does double duty. I even did the National Corvette Caravan 2,000 mile trip in 2009 using this seat. Very comfortable for me. I went with the fixed mount because i needed the added head room since I wear a helmet on the track, and the adjustable mounts make you sit higher.

You can try calling Phoenix Performance (Forum Sponsor) as they make custom mounts for the C5, mine is fixed, not sure if they make adjustable ones.

Good luck in your search and the search is half the fun.

And a plug for Dennis and his Double Din Mod!!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Jessestar06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep my stock ones and buy new foam and replacement seat covers. i bought new skins and foam and i love the look/feel

Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot damn those are gorgeous! How much those run for?

Quick Reply: Lets talk Seats....