Sponsored by:

What's the right thing to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What's the right thing to do?

I just sold my 99 FRC. The new owner paid for the car in advance after a contact of his had driven and inspected my car. The car was sold as is, the new owner flew in to drive his new pride and joy home, but he didn't make it 100 miles (a day later) and the car developed some clutch probem, I've still not been told what the exact problem is. It was taken to a GM dealership for repair, where it was estimated $1600 to $2500 to fix whatever is causing the problem. I owned this car just over a year and never ever had a clutch probem (or any other for that matter) with it. I absolutley wouldn't sell any vehical that i knew had a problem unless the buyer was aware before hand. I know he drives differant than I do and the problem developed a day after the purchase was made. What do you all think ? Am I responsible? I wish I never sold it cause I didn't have too, and this is making me sick.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
marc z
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was sold as is , That's it !
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Praetorian27
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc z
It was sold as is , That's it !
If he signed a bill of sale that said as is, then you are off the hook legally. But, you have to do what your conscience tells you is right. I recently had 16 cases of MRE's that I gave to the Boy Scouts for overnight trips. The scout leader wanted to pay me $800 for them, but I couldn't take money in clear conscience from the Boy Scouts so I let him have them for free. I lost out on $800...but I can sleep well at night!

Last edited by Praetorian27; 07-01-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by bracketshark
I just sold my 99 FRC. The new owner paid for the car in advance after a contact of his had driven and inspected my car. The car was sold as is, the new owner flew in to drive his new pride and joy home, but he didn't make it 100 miles (a day later) and the car developed some clutch probem, I've still not been told what the exact problem is. It was taken to a GM dealership for repair, where it was estimated $1600 to $2500 to fix whatever is causing the problem. I owned this car just over a year and never ever had a clutch probem (or any other for that matter) with it. I absolutley wouldn't sell any vehical that i knew had a problem unless the buyer was aware before hand. I know he drives differant than I do and the problem developed a day after the purchase was made. What do you all think ? Am I responsible? I wish I never sold it cause I didn't have too, and this is making me sick.

I "might" consider paying 1/3.

Between you, the hired guy that drove it, and the buyer, that is 1/3 of the responsibility and is MORE than fair.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I "might" consider paying 1/3.

Between you, the hired guy that drove it, and the buyer, that is 1/3 of the responsibility and is MORE than fair.
Seems fair to me
Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i'd pay half

leaving him stuck is bad karma.

sometimes springs just pop out of the disc. usually happens on a high speed run {which wouldn't shock me if he just bought it}

still, the clutch was on its way out if it failed that easily

i know a lot of folks like to keep every last dollar they can in their pocket but i'll tell ya what, being good to others will get you a lot further in life than giving people the finger.

by the way, how the heck is the quote so high? before i paid i would want to chat with the dealer
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would be good for half the repair.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Sold as is - plus another person inspected it!

BUT let's get real - dude got a new Vette - you cannot tell me he was not ripping it up and having some fun slamming and rowing the gears -

You are in the clear - I would not worry about it - he might of even burned out the clutch to boot!

Sleep easy my friend!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
andy46
Racer

I'm thinking the 1/3rd is more than fair.
He had his person drive the car and give it a clean bill of health.
The third is just token for your own satisfaction.
Personally I wouldn't give him anything, how do you know he wasn't winding it up and dumping the clutch.
He bought a used car, as is, nothing to feel guilty about at all!
I certainly would want a better quote for even the third share.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM
p1bz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt is correct. Dude bought it, beat on it, broke it, now he has to fix it. Plain and simple.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, when you purchase a used car especially a manual shift c5 Corvette,
that is 14 years old ..... There is plenty that could go wrong with the hydraulic system in these cars.

If one were to investigate/research these c5's for potential clutch related problems, prior to buying, not to mention countless other things that these cars are notorious for getting you stranded .

The buyer could have arranged to have the car professionally enclosed trailered to his location & without incident.
He chose to "role the dice" & assume that this fourteen year old car, which he knows nothing about it's reliability, will be able to get him back to where he lives with out incident.

I don't think you owe the buyer anything, unless you were aware of a mechanical problem & didn't acknowledge it to the new potential buyer.

If you were aware of a problem & didn't relay it to the buyer, than a
30% of the repair bill may be in order.

Yes I am a firm believer in Karma, Good & Bad.

End of story.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Sold as is - plus another person inspected it!

BUT let's get real - dude got a new Vette - you cannot tell me he was not ripping it up and having some fun slamming and rowing the gears -

You are in the clear - I would not worry about it - he might of even burned out the clutch to boot!

Sleep easy my friend!
I do not see this as your responsibility. Its not like you were hiding a defect from the buyer and he had someone come and look over/drive the car before he paid for it. Sometimes things just happen and you accept the consequences.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Honestly, if he signed a bill of sale you're off the hook.

However... If you're feeling guilty...And if you want to be sure everything is legit... (cuz this sounds like it could be a little fishy to me)...

Offer to buy the specific parts and have them shipped there, they'll be cheaper than dealer retail anyway. That way if he's just trying to get money out of you/scam you - it won't work. If it's legit, it'll hit you less in the wallet AND satisfy your conscience.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Vetteriffic
Pro

Yikes.....do what you think you should be treated like if you were in this position.....I know when I bought my dream vette and this would of happened it would have broken my heart....tough position for all...but this is a fraternity....your call man...I know what I would do...peace!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM
SilentFright
Drifting

I'd say tough ****; it's a used car & I am not a clairvoyant.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Front Runner
Racer

Originally Posted by racebum

leaving him stuck is bad karma.

sometimes springs just pop out of the disc. usually happens on a high speed run {which wouldn't shock me if he just bought it}

still, the clutch was on its way out if it failed that easily

i know a lot of folks like to keep every last dollar they can in their pocket but i'll tell ya what, being good to others will get you a lot further in life than giving people the finger.

by the way, how the heck is the quote so high? before i paid i would want to chat with the dealer

Yes, legally you are off the hook because the car was sold "as is".

But, put yourself in his shoes. How would you like to be treated?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteriffic
Yikes.....do what you think you should be treated like if you were in this position.....I know when I bought my dream vette and this would of happened it would have broken my heart....tough position for all...but this is a fraternity....your call man...I know what I would do...peace!
I agree. Beyond the legal, do what you think would be fair if you were in his position. It is a hard reflection and I am not saying any answer is better than another, but what does your gut tell you is the right thing?

Get notified of new replies

To What's the right thing to do?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

As said by several above, do what your conscience tells you to. To some extent, treat him the way you would like to be treated in the same or similar situation.

Sleep Well
Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Willby70
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
As said by several above, do what your conscience tells you to. To some extent, treat him the way you would like to be treated in the same or similar situation.

Sleep Well
X2
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

It all boils down to what you knew when you sold it. If it is in fact the case that you honestly drove it (spirited sometimes) and never had a problem with the clutch you are aboslutely off the hook.

No one, you or I or the best mechanic can tell you exactly when a component will fail. You are buying a used car, you take a look at it, ask the history and pay what you think is fair taking into consideration that you're buying a car as is and may have to pay to fix stuff when it goes (you take that into account when considering what "fair" is on the price).

The other end of it is if you had to pick a component and make it fail, the clutch is way up high on the list of things misuse can drasticaly shorten the life of. If he drove away and a wheel fell off, well that may take some "splainig"

All depends on what you knew (and said to him) when you sold it.

Quick Reply: What's the right thing to do?