Sponsored by:

Love the car, disgusted when at idle!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1
transmission sound could be your throwout bearing going out.
as far as the engine sounds, could be a number of things, pinched oil pump oring, bad lifter, exhaust leak or cracked manifold, piston slap goes away after warm up but it may be contributing to other sounds, or it could be a rod getting ready to let go.

I have a cammed 98 with 155k miles on it and it sounds very tight and tame at the front end and in the cabin, but has a nasty lope if you stand behind the car. I think you have a problem that needs addressed sooner than later.
I agree on the throw out bearing. When i push the clutch in the noise goes away. As for engine..... I dont know what to do. I usually do all my own mechanical work, But ive gone tearing engines apart before chasing noises and hate it. Hate it even more on a motor with only 35000. Thinking I'm going to find myself a mechanic with a better ear for the LS1 and go from there. Hoping Doug Rippie is around yet.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Huntervangolf
I agree on the throw out bearing. When i push the clutch in the noise goes away. As for engine..... I dont know what to do. I usually do all my own mechanical work, But ive gone tearing engines apart before chasing noises and hate it. Hate it even more on a motor with only 35000. Thinking I'm going to find myself a mechanic with a better ear for the LS1 and go from there. Hoping Doug Rippie is around yet.
Try using a 5w or 10w oil.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Khaalathas
Instructor

definitely not normal sounds that should be coming from a c5
Old 06-22-2012, 04:49 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you might have several issues. Shaking and shimmying from the motor can be caused by a lot of things. If the car has a faulty coil pack or blown spark plug, the car can act stupid. The addition of any aftermarket camshaft can make the car shaky. Also, if the car idles poor (doesn't hold a smooth idle), this can be a vacuum issue; a can of Carb cleaner can rule that out. As for noises, there are several possibilities. A blown catalytic or muffler can cause rattling. Also, if you have bad motor or transmission mounts, this can cause severe shaking and noise. These are the thing's I would check first.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:09 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

LS motors are notorious for piston slap. You may be hearing some of that at idle. C5's also have issues with axle clicking on the out and sometines the inner splines. My 01 had bad axle click when I bought it, and at times it sounds like it from inside like it's the trans. You can attmept to cure this by removing the outer axle nuts, lubing the splines and reinstalling and re-torquing the nuts to 125ftlbs, which is ~11ftlbs more than the book says. This procedure cured all my axle and trans noise!

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

Rippie moved are your sure you have the right number?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol! Yes I'm saying I bought it without a Carfax. Old school or dumb.
A Car Fax doesn't mean squat! If it was wrecked and reported there might be something on it, but don't count on it.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Originally Posted by feeder82
Rippie moved are your sure you have the right number?
I didnt know he moved. Is he still in Buffalo? Or?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Huntervangolf
Racer

This weekend I spent a little more time listening. The trans noise is only noticable at idle with the clutch out. When I push the clutch in it 100% goes away.
As for the engine what I noticed is #1, when at idle if I give a little gas (rev up maybe an additional 1000rpm) you hear clattering on the way up that eventually goes away at a higher rpm, but reappears on the way back down off of the rev. But disappears at idle. a distinct clattering, sounds like the valve train.
#2 is there is a constant ticking sound at idle all the way up to high rpms. It is there wether under load or just under rev or at idle, and obviously the ticking speeds up as the rpms increase. Bad lifter? Rocker?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The transmission will quiet if you push the clutch in.
Throwout bearing for sure, its annoying but not worth tearing into drivetrain unless you are doing a clutch swap.

As for the engine what I noticed is #1, when at idle if I give a little gas (rev up maybe an additional 1000rpm) you hear clattering on the way up that eventually goes away at a higher rpm, but reappears on the way back down off of the rev.
Can you take a video and post it up?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We are 100 percent still around. We moved about 8 weeks ago. The phone companies made it really hard on us. But moving forward.

www.dougrippie.com

763-658-6109

Thanks
Randy
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Front Runner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the car for a couple months now. It's a 2002 6speed coupe with 35000 miles. And I love the looks of the car, love the feel, power, and driving the car..... And it is a definite improvement over my LT4....

But for the love of God!!! It sounds like a complete disaster when it is just sitting there idling! Sounds like the pistons are swapping holes with eachother, valve train sounds like a ball peen hammer on an anvil! And the transmission sounds like a couple golf ***** in a empty running clothes dryer! Put it all together and sounds like there is a sherman tank manufacturing line hidden in my car. My LT4 C4 with 130000 miles sounds like a brand new car compared to this one. Is this just part of owning a C5? Really? I will feel better if it is and it is just the norm. But makes me feel like it maybe has had the you know what beat out of it by the previous owner or its gonna explode at idle. Sorry for the venting but really like the car and just makes me cringe and worry listening to it. By the way I'm using Mobil 0W40 and the car runs very strong at rpm, except for maybe a slight pinging/tapping sound. Talk to me please
Can you post a video?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Yes, I can try and post video. Wont be til this evening and see if I can pick up sounds.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,403 Likes on 14,030 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

At light throttle, the C5 manual tranny does make a "marbles in a can" type noise - that is normal. Anything other than that could be a problem. The engine should not sound like you describe, although some piston slap seems to be a common thing in the LS1 motor.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
We are 100 percent still around. We moved about 8 weeks ago. The phone companies made it really hard on us. But moving forward.

www.dougrippie.com

763-658-6109

Thanks
Randy
Drove by the new shop last night. Nice building/Location. Actually i have driven by it many times not realizing you were there.

Quick Reply: Love the car, disgusted when at idle!