Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am in the market for a Vette, a question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Jedi926
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Take that money and buy a Stinger or a Shark.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM
bontrager
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_snoopy
I am having another midlife crisis as 47 arrives in august and ive got Corvette fever. I found a 2002 conv. fully loaded with less than 10,000 miles, 1 owner, an older gentleman. Its the exact same color combination as my 93 mustang 5.0 conv(which just turned to 27,000 miles), i could call them "the twins" or "the brothers from another mother". Its about a 4 hour drive away and he is asking $24,900. I have been eyeballing Corvettes for about a year now, and that sounds like a good deal to me, but i defer to the experts, so what do you think? I havent seen it yet, but assuming its flawless, is it a good buy at that price? Thanks!!
I think it's a fair price for a 2002 vert with 10,000 miles on it. If I was in the market now I would buy it (what color).
Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Only YOU know what you like and what you are willing to pay... for me, that is too high. I am one of those non haggle, this is what i am willing to do negotiators. It has ALWAYS worked for me. Offer him $22.... See if he will counter for $23... go to your bank and grab a wad of "good faith" money for him to hold the car once a deal is negotiated. Good luck w purchase... I too am 47... Have 3 vehicles... C5Z, Firehawk, Avalanche Z71...
Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
jpalamar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't spend $20k+ on a car that would only be driving a few miles a year(assuming this will be like your Mustang).
Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
This is the last place I would post that question.

I've find the same thing on other car forums. Most will always say the price is too high...unless they are selling.

Someone recently asked about a 98 Vert with miles in the 60s. I did a search on ebay and checked finished listings. Real low mile 98s (30K or less) were fetching around 20 grand. I would have to think one 4 years newer with 10k on it would be worth a few thou more. Thousand a year??
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by fendermender

I've find the same thing on other car forums. Most will always say the price is too high...unless they are selling.

Someone recently asked about a 98 Vert with miles in the 60s. I did a search on ebay and checked finished listings. Real low mile 98s (30K or less) were fetching around 20 grand. I would have to think one 4 years newer with 10k on it would be worth a few thou more. Thousand a year??
I also have to wonder how many nice cars were missed out on because of the potential buyer trying to low-ball the seller after getting questionable advice?!?!? It's easy to give advice when yours is already sitting there ready for you to enjoy!

Just sayin'.................

DSTURBD
Old 06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You have to "pay up" for LOW MILAGE, BABIED, CONVERTIBLES that haven't had the **** beat of of them. Get the VIN # and get a printout of all service records from GM on this car. Run a carfax on this car as well. Do this before you make the trip to see it in person. If that checks out fine, then make the trip and see the car in person and go for a 10 -20 minute test drive (highway and bumpy back roads). After your test drive --- pull all diagnostic trouble codes which you can get right off the dash ---- see http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...bees-only.html

Now you will know excatly what you are dealing with --- and I suspect all will be fine --- but if there are issues, you will know what they are.

Then you can make an offer --- tell the owner you are a serious buyer, you have the cash and you can seal the deal right now. Hopefully, you can get the car for $22K --- and I would walk away and drive around the corner if he won't budge --- but in the end, i would pay the full price if all checks out OK and he won't budge since low milage, convertibles that haven't been beat to death and haven't been mod-ed to the point that they don't run well anymore are hard to come by. With only 10,000 miles on her you are bacically getting a NEW car for a fraction of the price provided everything checks out OK on this car.

Good Luck
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
pmurray
Racer

Before you go to look at it, made an appointment with a car guy near by to do a full inspection on the car. I spent $50.00 for this before I bought my 2004 and I was prepared that if he said one thing that was not right about the car that I would keep looking. Buying on motions can get you in trouble. He blessed the car, I bought it and THEN yelled whooooheeee!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalamar
I wouldn't spend $20k+ on a car that would only be driving a few miles a year(assuming this will be like your Mustang).
That's one line of thought, but for me I don't want to pay a top dollar price for extremely low mileage if I'm going to go out and in a couple of years double or triple the mileage thereby negating most of the premium price paid.

I also have another test I use on a pricepoint. What else is out there for this much money that I would rather have, be happier with ect.? For what I paid for my FRC, there still isn't a car/vehicle I would rather have after a year and a half or ownership.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
1SC
Instructor

A good piece of advice I heard from an old Vette Head "what are you planning to do with it?" The trouble with the real low mile cars is that you are reluctant to put many miles on them and 'ruin' the reason you bought it. If you want to do cross country trips you are spending a bunch of money needlessly (sort of). You would be better off finding a few more miles for a lot less $. But if you put on 1-2K a year this would be a great car for you.
So I got one with 20K thinking I would use it a lot. Fortunately or unfortunately I have entered the car in 2 shows and won! Two weeks ago I won best C5 so now I want to keep it like it is and I don't get it out.

I don't think the price is that high for that car assuming nothing is amiss. I found a similar car to mine in FL for less money, but then I would have to fly or rent to get down there to look at it. So I spent a bit more and bought it close buy from a guy in the local club so I could check out the car and the guy real easy.
Look at a few before you pull the trigger, but they are just a blast to own!!!
Good Luck
Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Tenacfan
Racer

Based on ur orig post (93 fox body) I would say ur similar to me and plan to keep the car for the long haul. In which case price is not the only factor (will balance out over time). With that in mind and IF it's what ur looking for I would offer th 23K cash to come get it (based of course on it being as advertised).

Heck, there may even be a knowledgeable person from here that is close by and willing to go look with u (hint hint). I'm sure u will find as I have these folks are the best.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The price is really very reasonable, Go do a search and see what cars you can find with similar mileage for under 25K. They are very few and far between. I'll take a garage queen over a daily drive every day of the week. Everyone likes to think that they are best negotiator, I understand that. But the lowest price car is very rarely, if ever, the best buy.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
bajajohn
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just thought I would chime in I just bought a 99 coupe for a price that I am sure many on this forum would think I paid too much for. I am very happy with it so far. Like some have said its only worth what you are comfortable paying for it. I love my C5 so far and have no regrets. These cars are one he--va lot of fun.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Cubman
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Last fall I bought a Flawless 02 4,000 mi vert. Always stored in climate control garage whole life. Stock except Granatelli SS exhaust. Cover, GM Bra, Cleartastic. Trailered it home 800 mi. from NY. for 25k.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I just bought a 98 conv, 82K miles but super clean cosmetically. Had 77.5K in first 3 years, changed owners and got 48xx since. Been in it's own building, looks like new inside and out. Has had some problems related to electrical and a/c. Paid $13,200 for it. Got 2 sets of wheels, all original parts + some items already installed, including a rather nice stereo. Got about $1000 in fixing it so far and it's within probably $400 of being a 14 yr old brand new car. I have done the work myself mostly, with the exception of recharging the a/c.

I consider it to have been a 'fair' deal. It needed work, I was willing to do it. It was less than the local market value. But, in my experience of purchases like this, it's nice to wait for a 'steal' rather than a 'deal'. They are out there.

That one is low miles, and probably really nice. For $25K, I'd be looking for a C6.

------EDIT------
That said, my rule of thumb is this.

If you buy something and you are happy with it, it was a good deal.

If you buy something and you are not happy with it, no matter what price, it was not a good deal.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Big Duk
Pro

The price is fair. Do what you want, because no matter what c5 you get other peoples opinions won't matter in the end, unless one of the nay sayers is gifting it to you!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Make sure you ask to see the service records. Get the vin and you can verify from the dealership.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I drove 300 miles with a trailer to get my car, and didn't even look at it first. I don't regret it one bit.

Is it 6 speed or automatic? 6 speed convertibles are very hard to come by, and usually come with a little added cost. For a 6 speed, I would ****** that up because you probably won't find another one in that condition in the color you want anytime soon. For an automatic, I think 23,000 in cash in front of this face would make a sale.

Quick Reply: I am in the market for a Vette, a question.