Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked my baby- Needing advice :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
BuddhaFRC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your pride still with the car and don't want to let it go just buy it back and swap everything into another c5 work done.. I know how hard it is to let go of something you put blood/sweet into. You can't let it hold you back.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 PM
JCox23
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah pretty much. Lol
Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 PM
JCox23
Racer

Originally Posted by BuddhaFRC
If your pride still with the car and don't want to let it go just buy it back and swap everything into another c5 work done.. I know how hard it is to let go of something you put blood/sweet into. You can't let it hold you back.
True. I guess well see what the insurance says next week. I do need the tranny rebuilt soon due to the extra power, but I'll have to do that on whatever I get next so that's not really a deciding factor.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 PM
kris6868
Burning Brakes

Yeah if i was you id hope they total it, just to get in a new one. An build one all over again. Espically if you have everything already. Hell if you could swing it get into a C6 ZO6. That be my first choice
Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 PM
JCox23
Racer

Originally Posted by kris6868
Yeah if i was you id hope they total it, just to get in a new one. An build one all over again. Espically if you have everything already. Hell if you could swing it get into a C6 ZO6. That be my first choice
Believe me, if I could I would! I even know the exact one I'd buy but that's about double my budget. Just have to see what happens I guess
Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Having only been in this situation once, I'm no expert but this happened to me. I totalled my 95 (not my fault) and it was an unbelievable clean (undercarriage scrubbed with a brush and bucket type of clean) and I was paid $20k if I recall. I only paid $18 for it at the time so I was financially good, but I loved the car and it was very clean. I asked about buying it back and it would have been $16k leaving $4k to fix it. I could never be sure it would ever be right after it was fixed and more importantly, I lost my job about 3 weeks before the accident and needed the money. Worth mentioning is that they would not let me take a single screw or ANYTHING off the car, so unless you buy it back, all those mods are probably going bye-bye with the rest of the car.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 AM
JCox23
Racer

Well I certai ly hope that's not the case with me but if it does total out, I will buy it back regardless because I believe I can part it out and get my money back regardless.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 AM
vernonredneck
Heel & Toe

Swap out as much as posible before the insurance sees it they will not want to pay you for the mods or will only pay pennys on the dollar
Old 06-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by vernonredneck
Swap out as much as posible before the insurance sees it they will not want to pay you for the mods or will only pay pennys on the dollar
My insurance company has the right to refuse coverage if an accident is not reported withing 2 working days. the exception being an accident that is not my fault and the other insurance company puts up an argument. If I did it, the clock starts.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news. Glad you are okay. This has to be a horrible situation when you have put so much time, money and effort into getting the car the way you want. I hope the path you choose goes well, there are a lot of options for you.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Without seeing it I can't offer an opinion on fixing it. Couple things I did learn with mine. The frames are not easily straightened. Your guy needs to have adapters to mount the car on a standard type frame rack. I made my own. Anything with severe buckling will require sectioning.

On the other hand you got an estimate with all new GM parts. There is a huge difference between new and used stuff for these. For the price of a hood, bumper and couple headlights, you can pretty near buy a whole front clip with frame section used.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,393 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by BuddhaFRC
If you can keep all those mod you put in the car and into the new one. From all the damage you describe its going to be hard to repair. Better off to keep all the mod if possible and swap it into a new c5 if your planning to get another one. Good luck.
And best of luck to you in whatever you do.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 AM
JCox23
Racer

Thank you all for your help. I forgot about buying Used GM parts I was just worried about getting aftermarket and then the fitment being ******. Especially on the front bumper. As far as exterior body panels, the only ones that will have to be replaced are the front bumper and then the right rocker because it's cracked. Everything else will be refinished. The estimate does include aftermarket radiator, condenser, left and right park lights, and a few other little odds and ends on the front suspension.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Well you already have a quote on the repair cost. I would contact your insurance company and find out what they say. If it is a total, see what they will charge you to buy it back. Once you have all the information, then you can make a decision.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Did not mean it as criticism just making a statement, sorry you took it that way and good luck with your new build .
Originally Posted by JCox23
Please keep the criticism to yourself. Nothing has been finalized and I am only looking for opinions on the "what if's" and advice from some who have maybe been through this sort of thing before. Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 03:23 AM
herZ06
Racer

Last September, my husband wrecked my (our-but I call it mine!) vette... The estimate was a little over 15k and the insurance company totalled it. It was a 2001 Z06, built motor, supercharged, etc. We ended up getting 18k from the insurance, got another car, bought the wrecked one back, and we are in the process of parting out the wrecked one and building the 2003 we bought to be even better than the 2001 we had. It's worked out for us better, it's just taking a little longer to get it all back together than I wanted to.

Good luck with your car, sorry to hear. I hope it all works out for you like it did for us!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 AM
ThumperNC24
Pro

I would push for a total and a buy back, swap the parts. You start with a clean car, no accident record and no possibility of squeaks, rattles, etc from the repairs.

I know a lot of cars with serious damage like that are never right again after the repair. Some are - others aren't.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrecked my baby- Needing advice :(

Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM
JCox23
Racer

Well My insurance lady called me yesterday and it sounds like they're going to fix it. And the estimate got up to about $15.6 after I decided to go ahead and replace the exhaust. Just scratched it but now I can get new and sell old to help pay deductable.
I am very confident in my friend doing the work and he knows how meticulous I am about my cars so there's no doubt in my mind it will come out better than before the wreck. He does show car quality work. I can finally get rid of all those rock chips on the front bumper and rockers and hood! Almost the whole car will get fresh paint.
The more I thought about it the more I thought I would be screwed if it totaled out and have to buy it back. I think it would just be a major pain in the *** and I would end up getting stuck with a lot of body parts I couldn't sell or something. This way I can still keep all the work I've been doing to it and have it show quality just like ie been wanting.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCox23
The more I thought about it the more I thought I would be screwed if it totaled out and have to buy it back. I think it would just be a major pain in the *** and I would end up getting stuck with a lot of body parts I couldn't sell or something. This way I can still keep all the work I've been doing to it and have it show quality just like ie been wanting.

I think you are absolutely correct. Most of these buybacks I hear of end badly. Parting a car is a lot of work and a lot of stuff just doesn't sell. Fixing a total only makes sense if you can do it (or at least most of it) yourself. If it were worthwhile to pay someone, the insurance would have done it.

Glad to hear it is working out to your satisfaction and another C5 is saved from the salvage yard.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you have car towed back to your house? Seems like that would be the safe place to keep it until all is settled. Keeps peoples hands off your stuff, plus you can start scavenging parts if needed.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my baby- Needing advice :(