Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
LovinAVette

Default Known C5 Issues?

Hello forum!

I've been reading through this quite a bit the last several months in preparation of my first Vette. I've drooled over them since I was a kid - now 32 - and think I am finally fixing to take the leap and put one in the garage. Won't be what I exactly want, but in the meantime will suffice until I can get this business up and running like I know I will, then it will be upgrade time.

Right now, I am debating either a lower mileage C5, or slightly higher mileage C6 - I can find the 5 with mileage in the 50's around 15k here locally, the 6 with high 80-90 around 21k. Going to check out an 02 C5 in the next couple of days - what are known issues I need to look for? And this is a redundant topic, I apologize - I searched for like 15 minutes for a similar thread under the search field with no luck. Thanks in advance for your time!
LovinAVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Hope you have plenty of time for reading as this list started back in 2004:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html

And here is some more reading for you:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ould-have.html

Last edited by 8VETTE7; 05-29-2012 at 03:45 AM.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
LovinAVette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 View Post
Hope you have plenty of time for reading as this list started back in 2004:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html
Dammit, it never fails that I suck at the search function. Please feel free to delete. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Phanni
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Phanni

To the Op, just remember that not all 'issues' will happen on every car. Most are easily pemanenetly fixable and not terrilby expensive if caught ahead of time. The fuel gauge problem is the one item that can be expensive if you have that problem and want to permanently fix it. (new sending units). EBCM on pre 2001 also. (GM no longer makes replacemnt parts).
Phanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

And if the links provided by 8VETTE7 weren't enough reading for you, I have some Word files that might help you out when looking for a C5, including a Corvette Buyers Checklist. If you'd like a copy, just PM me your e-mail address.

Good luck with your search - and if it were me - I'd go with the lower mileage C5.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
209TIME!!!
CF Senior Member

Known C5 issues = some of the owners....lol
209TIME!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
andrec10
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209TIME!!! View Post
Known C5 issues = some of the owners....lol
Or Operator Error....
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Z06ster
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinAVette View Post
...what are known issues I need to look for? And this is a redundant topic, I apologize - I searched for like 15 minutes for a similar thread under the search field with no luck. Thanks in advance for your time!
Thanks for making the effort but I will say it irks me when people give others a hard time for not searching... especially newer people to the board. This is *not* a complete list, but here are few things on the C5:

1) Driver side rear differential shaft seal - they leak. Look under the car and if you see a lot of black discoloration on the driver's side of the rear suspension cradle, it can be a sign of the problem

2) Bad Gas gauges - the gas gauge isn't the problem. The problem is with the sending assemblies going bad... there are two of them. Make sure the gas gauge is reading correctly. As the seller if he has had problems with inaccurate readings.

3) Door control modules - there is a relay that goes out and locking doors won't work. Make sure you try to lock/open door with FOB and door console buttons

4) HVAC Actuators - make sure when AC is on, both driver and passenger sides are cold, when heat is on, both driver and passenger sides are hot.

5) Check for codes - you can check codes on the C5... something a smart consumer should do... here's how,

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-codes-c5.html
Z06ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
OkieBikerDude
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I've experienced problems with the EBCM and the passengers side door lock module. Parts are available and the old ones can be repaired if that is your choice, just check on this Forum.

I didn't know about this Forum before I bought my '02 so I just lucked out on the year. I would suggest an '02 or later, low mileage C5.

OBD
OkieBikerDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Sonny71
CF Senior Member
Oldtimer
Support Corvetteforum!

I would go with '02 or later C5.
good luck with the search
Sonny71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Corvette_Ed
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude View Post
I didn't know about this Forum before I bought my '02 so I just lucked out on the year.
I wasn't so lucky....
Corvette_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
KenShores
CF Senior Member

I got an 02. I have some issues with it, the EBCM being the major but was easy to fix. The best thing I think you can learn is how to recall codes. Then check the codes on the cars you are thinking about buying. WTH, you can practice on cars at a dealer.

It will be a used car, so like any, it will not be perfect. Leaky but seems to be the most common and costly problem. But if you work on cars, seems to be easy fix. Just a lot of labor time. Join a corvette club in your aera, and ask/learn who does the best repairs. You may even find folks that are willing to help you repair as well. Good luck.
KenShores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
racebum
CF Senior Member

racebum

what changed in 02? i was always under the impression that it was 01+ where the major improvements came in. one of which being the repairable ebcm
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #14
LovinAVette

Wow, thanks for all the great posts guys. Been a crazy day and just now catching up on here before I crash. I'm now also considering a 2001 Z that I've found with 37k miles for $19,500, black on black with bolt action, looks to be a nice find, supposed to go look at it in the next day or two. Now, though, it sounds like it might be better to lean to the 02 and newer? I, too, thought that it was the 01-up, can anyone clarify?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #15
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinAVette View Post
Wow, thanks for all the great posts guys. Been a crazy day and just now catching up on here before I crash. I'm now also considering a 2001 Z that I've found with 37k miles for $19,500, black on black with bolt action, looks to be a nice find, supposed to go look at it in the next day or two. Now, though, it sounds like it might be better to lean to the 02 and newer? I, too, thought that it was the 01-up, can anyone clarify?
I believe that from the factory many of the 2001 C5's were known to consume a bit of oil. This issue was corrected in the 2002 and later C5's. Also there was a service bulletin that allowed for ring replacement in the 2001's under warranty if the consumption reached a certain level.
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
94centennial

I've had my 2001 for 9 years. the only thing i've spent any $ for repairs was the gas gauge. It cost $9.00 for a bottle of Techtron additive. within 1/2 mile the guage was corrected. that's been a couple years and no more issues. By the way, this C5 get "great" MPG. Most of my driving is 40 miles round trip to work. the average for the last two years is 30.4! it's a 6 speed manual rag top.
94centennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Known C5 Issues?