Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's See your DIY, Hand, Home or Custom painted Fuel Rail Covers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 PM
AlsC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
The video makes it look easy. It really isn't that easy and does take a certain skill to do. I'm having fun with it.
Did you have to do anything special to get the smooth look before dipping the covers into the vinyl? What kind of clear you used to get the wet look? Seriously thinking of doing that.

Right now I'm playing with applying graphic vinyl on the covers but think it may melt or bubble with heat.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by AlsC5
Did you have to do anything special to get the smooth look before dipping the covers into the vinyl? What kind of clear you used to get the wet look? Seriously thinking of doing that.

Right now I'm playing with applying graphic vinyl on the covers but think it may melt or bubble with heat.
The smooth look was accomplished by grinding and sanding down the ridges and 5.7 then smoothing with sanding. A couple layers of primer with sanding then the base metallic color and a couple of coats of the colored candy. Then the dipping process with the ink transfer and cleaning and letting dry. After all that then I applied the clear. That clear was just rattle can Krylon tripple thick clear glaze (I think). It didn't work to well in the heat of the engine bay and bubbled and wrinkled after a week under the hood. So....to my dismay I had to strip them down to the base again and start all over. Hopefully the clear I'm getting now will hold up better to the heat.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,367 Likes on 1,035 Posts

A little bit different direction.....

....but I did paint them myself. I've also get less money tied up in the coil relocation and the valve covers than most do in the fancy painted plastic covers....and you can tell its an engine
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
....but I did paint them myself. I've also get less money tied up in the coil relocation and the valve covers than most do in the fancy painted plastic covers....and you can tell its an engine
I've seen this done before. Can you please tell me what is actually done here?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,367 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
I've seen this done before. Can you please tell me what is actually done here?
Well, first you'll need a six pack and an Ebay account

I found some universal coil relocation brackets from a shop that specializes in LS transplants into Jeeps. High quality aluminum pieces that were $60 bucks shipped.

I then searched for the coil extension harness. 2 30" extensions were $90 and allow you the extend the firewall harness to your coil mounting location.

The most expensive part was the MSD "cut to fit" universal LS spark plug wires. Those were $170 from Jegs.

I relocated the passenger side coils to the battery box just outboard of the battery. That panel is relatively thick fiberglass. You can access the back of it through the wheel well by removing the inner fender. I drilled two holes for the bracket, and then cut a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum to use as a backer to distribute the pressure on the fiberglass panel, just as an added precaution. Then its just patience to run the spark plug wires from each cylinder to their respective coil, and cut them to fit.....measure 9 times, cut once, ask me how I know

I relocated the drivers side coils to the frame rail directly below brake fluid reservoir. Again the easiest way to access this area was to remove the inner fender. I welded a steel plate to the frame rail with two bolts welded to the steel plate. This allowed me to simply bolt the aluminum bracket to the steel frame rail without altering the frame in any way. From there its pretty straight forward, bolt up the coils, measure and cut the wires, and away you go. Much easier on the drivers side....far more room.

Lastly, I found the GM performance parts valve covers used on ebay for $70 shipped. When I got them they were pretty rough, but I cleaned them thoroughly with simple green, and then washed them thoroughly with soap and water. After drying, I sprayed them with 3 coats of the VHT high temp crinkle finnish black you can get at any auto parts store. After the paint had dried to the point that it was just slightly tackey, I took a razor blade and carefully scraped off the layer on the raised letters. Once the valve covers were completely dry, I hit the raised letters with a light sanding with 400 grit sand paper just to remove any remaining paint and give the letters that nice brushed aluminum look.

For anyone concerned about a performance loss due to the longer wires and supposed increased resistance, I checked the resistance on every wire and they were all within 5 ohms of the factory shorties. Additionally, I had the car dyno'd prior to this little project and shortly after. Different dynos with different atmospheric conditions, but the car was within 3hp and 5 ft/lbs.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Johnson 92
Here's mine

COOOOOKIES!

Gorgeous!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30

I like that!

Name:  VSEngine5.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  125.5 KB
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM
GB Vette
CF Over the Hill Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI-6 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VII Veteran
CI-7 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-08-'09
NCM Ambassador

Although not made for the C5 I modded these to fit

Name:  eng60.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  144.7 KB
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by GB Vette
Although not made for the C5 I modded these to fit
Nice! where are they from?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM
dw99vette
Pro

Location: 15 miles south from the Raisin Capitol of the World Caifornia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GPGG70
Boy I'm sure glad I had my sun glasses on when this engine bay picture opened up. Did you paint the air intake manifold while still on the motor or was it off the engine?
Thanks.
Nope. Took it apart. Alternator bracket was a PITA

Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
Here's a lil something I did a few weeks ago. I've been playing around with hydrographics and thought that these turned out pretty well.

These are my favorites of the ones posted.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 AM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dw99vette

those parts came out just beautiful...
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say, now I really have something to think about. I keep centering in on the intake manifold. I think I need to change it (my stock manifold) in some way.

As far as the set ups with installing valve covers and moving the coil pack I think makes the engine look really cool, but feel that is WAY over my head as far as me being able or limited experience to take on a LS6 task such as that. Bak, Bak, Bak!! I know I'm chicken.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
These are my favorites of the ones posted.
Thank you. Unfortunately there was some sort of reaction with the paint and heat in the engine bay so the clear wrinkled and pealed so I am in the process of redoing them. They'll look a tad bit different this time...
Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
YELLO1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C5 of the Month 5/13

Here's Mine.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

[QUOTE=YELLO1;1580897634]Here's Mine.
Would HOOAHH! be appropriate here?? Nice job!!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yello1, Thanks for the pictures. Thats a very sharp looking engine bay. I cant paint one like that.
One of my corvette buddys has a engine bay (not yellow) but has the black&white checkerd flag paint job in his engine bay, so I dont think I should go that route. His checkerd flag spreads out onto his coolant and windshield fluid resevoirs. Looks great but I dont want to copy his idea. He might kick my A$$.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's See your DIY, Hand, Home or Custom painted Fuel Rail Covers.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
cyoul8rnj
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10-'12

If your not into bling-

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  6.0 KB
Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM
YELLO1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C5 of the Month 5/13

Thanks Guys for all the nice comments, they are very much appreciated!!!
I have found over the years is to do what ever you want and don't worry about what a few negative people have to say,even if he does kick your but!!!!
And the theme keeps going into the interior.

Name:  326bbc20.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  87.2 KB
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 PM
orangeclaw
Instructor

is that all just spray can? just sand, primer, paint and clear? and how did you piant the ALT, and TB? ALL of your stuff looks really good!

Quick Reply: Let's See your DIY, Hand, Home or Custom painted Fuel Rail Covers.