Sponsored by:

[Feeler] 1997 Arctic White Coupe - 205 Miles, All Stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UniqueDoug
He's not taking less than high to mid 30's, and even then he is not selling it.
Hilarious. Living in a dream world. I guess he got his "Feeler".

Kids with bicycles in the garage; life happens, what are you going to do?
I would suggest the OP either drive and enjoy the car, or be realistic with how much he is actually going to get for it, which would have trouble fetching even 25K. Do you think a "collector" (which I doubt would be interested right now in a 97 Vette anyway), would expect such a car to be stored next to bicycles, toys, lawn mowers (whatever). For that price, they would expect it to be stored in a secure temperature controlled garage, in flawless condition, all documentation, with absolutely ZERO issues. By the way, a car collector isn't going to take into account that "life happens".

Anywho, FWIW, I paid 30K for my mint condition, bone stock 04 CE ZO6, with 2800 original miles late last year, with none of the issues the OP speaks of.

Last edited by 95rtturbo; 05-19-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a few minutes to figure out this forum, and the reaction would not be surprising. A guy who "knows" collectors who are already interested should be soliciting them specifically. It is rather doubtful the average guy here is going to lay out that kind of cash for a car that old, seeing as there are thousands upon thousands to be had that look and perform exactly as this one will/should.

I also like a good low mileage car, but beyond the miles, that car is nothing special imo.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Illini Al
I hope the OP gets a lot of money for his C5, but I can't believe any collector would pay $30K for this Vette RIGHT NOW. If he corrects all of the issues, and hangs on to until the C8's come out in 10 years or so, who knows, maybe he gets more than that at that time.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When deciding on the asking price a seller should think about what his competition will be for buyers in his proposed price class. What else could a potential buyer find for around $30k. While pondering over that I ran across this interesting example and while not exactly equal competition some may find it suitable for comparing nonetheless. The original asking price was $22.9K and they turned down an offer of $21.5K a few days ago. Car is still for sale:

http://tiny.cc/wbbkew

****PRICE JUST REDUCED DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS COLLECTOR'S GEM**** For sale is a 1997 Chevrolet Corvette with 5,851 ORIGINAL MILES! This pristine automobile was purchased, by us, directly from the original owning family.The vehicle is listed as a two owner because it was transferred from father to son in 2008 with only 1950 miles. This family knew someone over at Chevrolet and when the first year of the C5 corvettes became available to be purchased from the Chevrolet dealerships, he was able to be put on the waiting list for 4 1997 Corvettes. His son told us that just to be put on this waiting list it cost $1000 a vehicle because of the hype at the time. This vehicle comes with documentation showing ownership by father and son as well as Original Corvette Detail Kit, Corvette tool kit, Original books and leather case with Official Corvette pen and flashlight, and Original Corvette car cover. This vehicle comes with 2 sets of wheels as well! The customer took the original wheels off and stored them when the vehicle was purchased and installed factory GM Corvette Magnesium wheels. This means the original wheels are basically in brand new condition. They were wrapped and stored in one of the previous owners garage. The original wheels and tires are currently mounted on the vehicle but the car comes with the factory Magnesium wheels as well (shown in the owner's garage mounted on the vehicle in the last pictures)! The magnesium wheels do not come with tires, just the wheels. The vehicle is in excellent shape inside and out and has been kept as if it was in a time capsule down here in Florida.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Intrinsic value of this car is probably no more than $15k. Buy it, drive it for a year putting 12k miles on it and its worth $12k.

So someone interested in buying this car for a lot more money is interested because its unique.

What's it worth to be able to say you own a 97 vette with only 204 miles on it? From this thread, saying that gets you more ridicule than praise. I suppose that at some point in time, someone trying to build a collection might pay $35k for this car. Hell, they might pay $50k, or more! But until someone does, its just a pipe dream.

And as far as the intrinsic value being increased because the car is a documentation of how a 97 Corvette was built, I don't see it. The C5 is probably the most documented car, in books, magazines, etc. ever built. There's no shortage of parts lists, pics, etc.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

OP -- You have a very special C5 there. Being a first year and that low a mileage that's a BIG draw to a collector. I would think that getting the minor body work done to clean up the dings/nicks in the paint would not affect the value if it's done properly...white should be fairly easy to blend. As for value...that's a really tough one to estimate. On the normal market it would be worth much less than it will be to a collector. As you have said...you don't HAVE to sell it so if I was in your situation I would hold on to it until the right buyer comes along. I don't think I've ever seen one with that low mileage in person. Very nice Vette you have.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
Hilarious. Living in a dream world. I guess he got his "Feeler".

I would suggest the OP either drive and enjoy the car, or be realistic with how much he is actually going to get for it, which would have trouble fetching even 25K. Do you think a "collector" (which I doubt would be interested right now in a 97 Vette anyway), would expect such a car to be stored next to bicycles, toys, lawn mowers (whatever). For that price, they would expect it to be stored in a secure temperature controlled garage, in flawless condition, all documentation, with absolutely ZERO issues. By the way, a car collector isn't going to take into account that "life happens".

Anywho, FWIW, I paid 30K for my mint condition, bone stock 04 CE ZO6, with 2800 original miles late last year, with none of the issues the OP speaks of.
I agree, personally I would not look any further had I showed up with $30K in hand expecting to see something very special but instead finding it had all the usual marks of neglect from kids toys, lawnmower bumps, bicycles, etc. I would be expecting to find an **** retentive owner who's love for the car was reflected in its appearance everywhere I looked like the red one above can probably do.

What if the Op's car had been the red one above with 205 miles? The price would still be too high wouldn't it? I'm sticking with $20K as the top price for this car and even then seller will have his work cut out for him to find a buyer at that price. Difficult? Absolutely. Impossible? Maybe not.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Silver Toy
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '12

Not trying to

Hold your price if you are in no hurry to sell. There is a buyer for every car.
I thought I would comment having just purchased a 2449mi C5 vert for 30 and was fine with the price. It literally did not have a scratch, nick, or chip. Every piece of paperwork possible, every original tag hanging from every piece of the undercarriage, rubber, seals, switches, AC, what-have-you, all flawless. It was on a second battery. I say that not to show off but to say that I would suggest a highly documented restoration, get every piece of paper work you can get (Even though they will not be original), then stick with your price. I’m not in any way going to knock your car; it’s a beauty that needs some love.
I was in the market for just what you are selling, an extremely low mileage car for a little weekend cruising and maybe a weekly GTG, or to sit and be looked at. While looking for 6-or 7 months, I eliminated cars from my list with less, some far less, mileage than the one I purchased due to extremely minor issues that were assoiated with the way the car had been maintained.

Hold your ground or restore it, I will not get in the way of a sale. Good luck with your sale.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Unfortunately every Corvette has to sell against miles. You got one with 70K you are pretty much stuck. There are just too many garage queens out there coming up for sale.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100
Intrinsic value of this car is probably no more than $15k. Buy it, drive it for a year putting 12k miles on it and its worth $12k.

So someone interested in buying this car for a lot more money is interested because its unique.

What's it worth to be able to say you own a 97 vette with only 204 miles on it? From this thread, saying that gets you more ridicule than praise. I suppose that at some point in time, someone trying to build a collection might pay $35k for this car. Hell, they might pay $50k, or more! But until someone does, its just a pipe dream.

And as far as the intrinsic value being increased because the car is a documentation of how a 97 Corvette was built, I don't see it. The C5 is probably the most documented car, in books, magazines, etc. ever built. There's no shortage of parts lists, pics, etc.
Doesn't matter - because there is already a shortage of stock OEM parts.

This car is precisely what some would want if they wanted a pristine undriven 1997 coupe.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:46 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
Doesn't matter - because there is already a shortage of stock OEM parts.

This car is precisely what some would want if they wanted a pristine undriven 1997 coupe.
BUT, that buyer is RARE, a 97' is nothing special and less desirable than the later models. If he hets more than $21K he should take the money and RUN, especially if the AC is not working.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

When NCRS is drafting judging manuals for the next models getting ligibility for an NCRS certificate the most original cars they can find are pretty valuable to them for determining what factory original is. Once cars are put in regular use and start receiving maintenance and replacement parts it is difficult to know what is original and what is not.

With that said if I was going to store one it would have to be a convertible or a Z06. Of course neither of those were available in 1997.

This happens all the time though. As a teenager I remember a neighbor who bought a new 1972 Coupe and put it in his carport on four jackstands and never drove it again. There it sat for years partially exposed to the weather and I don't know whatever eventually became of it. Probably needed paint after a few years and might have been sold for about half what he paid I imagine. Which reminds me of this next little gem.

I was up at Bloomington Gold for the Mecum auction a while back when a red on red ZR1 with 16 original miles, untitled (still under MSO), clear plastic shipping protection still on the steering wheel and seats, etc. bid to a sale at $33K. These were $65K cars plus any additional dealer markup often applied at the time.

Last edited by Greg Gore; 05-19-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
Then you clearly do not see the value.

The point is the "value", perceived or real is that the car is exactly as it left the factory.
There are a few of them out there, but the chance of folks getting access to those cars to verify details is probably slim to none - the other cars are in museums, serious collections or are so unused they still have plastic on the trim and the fluids have been drained.

This car is worth exactly what the person who wants it, will pay.
I guess I should never say never, as I would have never thought a FRC would bring $110,000.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...=678.1&aid=284

Wonder what my FRC is worth with only 110 K miles, with a working a/c.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm guessing the seller is asking about what he gave for the car. If he gets what he's asking, and I don't doubt it can be done, he will have done well. No one can predict what a collector will be willing to pay. I recently figured out some serious collectors buy new cars and don't drive them. Look no further than the Mecum Auction coming up in North Little Rock to see what I mean. Over 100 cars owned by twin brothers going to auction. The cars date from the early 1900s into the 2000s. Several of them with almost no miles and tags still hanging from the dash. Look at Mecums website and you will see what interested just 2 guys out of thousands of serious collectors. Someone out there would give a chunk of money for the OPs car, finding that someone will be the problem. If it was mine, I would have the minor problems repaired and take it to an auction.
Most of us see a cars value from a different perspective. We buy it to drive it and it's just not the same.

Last edited by Suthunman; 05-19-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:42 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

IMO, it's "worth" more to me in the enjoyment factor to drive my Vette then to let it sit and someday hope it's worth lots of money.

I'm sure if the OP looks long and hard enough he might get what he want's for this car.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

There might be a lesson here with the red car pictured several posts above. When it absolutely must be a good one look for a fussy owner who keeps his Corvette inside his house instead of out in the nasty old garage.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Suthunman
I'm guessing the seller is asking about what he gave for the car. If he gets what he's asking, and I don't doubt it can be done, he will have done well. No one can predict what a collector will be willing to pay. I recently figured out some serious collectors buy new cars and don't drive them. Look no further than the Mecum Auction coming up in North Little Rock to see what I mean. Over 100 cars owned by twin brothers going to auction. The cars date from the early 1900s into the 2000s. Several of them with almost no miles and tags still hanging from the dash. Look at Mecums website and you will see what interested just 2 guys out of thousands of serious collectors. Someone out there would give a chunk of money for the OPs car, finding that someone will be the problem. If it was mine, I would have the minor problems repaired and take it to an auction.
Most of us see a cars value from a different perspective. We buy it to drive it and it's just not the same.

Get notified of new replies

To [Feeler] 1997 Arctic White Coupe - 205 Miles, All Stock

Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced

30k is impossible for this car. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. I'm just throwing out my .02 cents

Here's why i believe that no one would spend that kind of money for this car.

1. The Scratches/Chips... No one will put that kind of money down on a 15 year old car unless it's paint/body is 100% pristine. I'm not talking 99%.... 100%

2. Drivers Interior Panel... Similar to above. I would replace that panel with a panel from a dealership. if you're wanting 30+k for the car you can spend a few hundred to get a new panel. I wouldn't even buy a 100k mile car with a panel like that.

3. What's special about this? Most collector cars have some type of specialty. Yes it's a 1997, the first year, but to be honest i wouldn't be holding on to it for an investment of any kind. If it were the Serial # 001 2004 CE z06, that would be different.

I'm trying to be as helpful as i can. I would sell the car now because when the c7 comes, i'm assuming the market for c5's is going to go down. In similar fashion as the c4's have in the past.

If i had to put a realistic number on this car. I would say 26k Max, with issue 1 & 2 taken care of. As it sits possibly 21k to the right person.

If i was a potential buyer, i would feel like i'm being lied to and would back down immediately. Just because an odometer says 204 miles doesn't mean it really does. I could get a gauge cluster from a 0 mileage car and put it in my 100k mile car (which is in better condition than this) and it would be more believable.

Last edited by Default; 05-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vladimirhtg
Right. I'm on the same page as you except that I know collectors and investors that are already interested in the car. NADA and KBB are essentially useless in a situation like this since I'm basically hand-picking my customer and selling it for what I want and not selling it for what I don't want to sell it for. It's a beautiful situation. Except that I started a thread here, that so far has proven to be a mistake.

You already have a set price you are looking for, so deal with the collector/investor who is interested and don't look for validation on a forum.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

I agree, a 97 asking $30K will have to knock the buyer's socks off when he sees it and you will need someone who has the means to lay out 30 large ones on the spot. A list of things the car needs will not impress a potential buyer. Another problem to overcome is this car is still depreciating.

Quick Reply: [Feeler] 1997 Arctic White Coupe - 205 Miles, All Stock