Sponsored by:

It's time to quit dicking around.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rootpooty
ive been working in the auto industry for the past 11 years. i have never seen so many issues with the same model like ive seen with the c5 ie ebcm and column lock
Funny thing about mass produced vehicles. The same defects get built in to the whole line. I suppose this is why changes are made each model year in an effort to eliminate them.

Mine has or had.
Dead oil pressure sensor
Dead Climate Control Screen
Some Stereo Backlights out
Door panel delamination
Left rear axle seal seeping
Squeaky F45 shocks

I have learned from this forum that these are all common problems and obvious defects manufactured into C5s

The EBCM and Column Lock are working so far....knock on wood.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
What happened to ABSFixer?
They only fix 01-04 units as do most other rebuild / repair places. The 97-98 and 2000 cars are SCREWED. I have a 2000 FRC and have a bad EBCM and can't find a fix or replacement for it.

You have no idea how many times I've locked up my brakes because some A-hole cut me off in traffic.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
They only fix 01-04 units as do most other rebuild / repair places. The 97-98 and 2000 cars are SCREWED. I have a 2000 FRC and have a bad EBCM and can't find a fix or replacement for it.

You have no idea how many times I've locked up my brakes because some A-hole cut me off in traffic.
That sucks.

Is there a reason ABSFixer doesn't do the 97 to 2000 units?

It would seem that if there was a vendor/reseller that was the correct size to approach and that would care, it would be the one that could get the captive audience.

Has a group tried to approach ABSFixer?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
That sucks.

Is there a reason ABSFixer doesn't do the 97 to 2000 units?

It would seem that if there was a vendor/reseller that was the correct size to approach and that would care, it would be the one that could get the captive audience.

Has a group tried to approach ABSFixer?
I'm sure he would if he could fix them. The guts are different between the early and later model EBCM's. Without decent schematics and parts support, nobody will be able to fix them.

Think this is bad, try a european motorcycle sometime. My BMW has ton's of tech in it too and parts are rare and CO$TLY. It's the price for tech, the mechanical stuff will outlast the tech every time.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,426 Likes on 14,042 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, it would be nice if either GM or some aftermarket company stepped up and began producing the parts that currently are unavailable - but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too small a market, too little profit potential. I've run into stituations already where I wanted to buy a new part (not a major component of the car thankfully) and the individual part was now only available as part of a larger component at a much, much higher price. Ended up going the used part route.

I do appreciate the effort the OP is taking to try and address the situation and would sign on to whatever method of bringing this to either GM's or another company's attention is deemed appropriate (I have no inside connections to help out in that regard). I too worry that somewhere down the line my car is going to need some critical component and it will be tough luck - part not available.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dacfan
They could all get together at their union hall and start their own company manufacturing new brake control modules...
Ahhh, thank God for unions. After 30 years of saving lives, and property as a firefighter, I'm living a good life, but, that was my mission, a GOOD retirement!

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Yes, it would be nice if either GM or some aftermarket company stepped up and began producing the parts that currently are unavailable - but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too small a market, too little profit potential. I've run into stituations already where I wanted to buy a new part (not a major component of the car thankfully) and the individual part was now only available as part of a larger component at a much, much higher price. Ended up going the used part route.

I do appreciate the effort the OP is taking to try and address the situation and would sign on to whatever method of bringing this to either GM's or another company's attention is deemed appropriate (I have no inside connections to help out in that regard). I too worry that somewhere down the line my car is going to need some critical component and it will be tough luck - part not available.
^ Totally...

Last edited by Vette_DD; 05-17-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Your peeing in the wind dude. GM has NO reason to do this, they would rather sell you a new car. GM didn't even build most of the tech in their cars. Delphi is a seperate company anymore so even if you do get GM to even return your call (unlikely), they can't really do much for you.

I had a Crossfire Vette long ago, talk about an Orphan-and look at the 90's version of the ZR1-they were barely supported when they were new.
I hate to agree, but GM treats the Corvette just like any other GM car.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well one thing is sure. I watch the salvage auctions almost daily. No shortage of totalled C5s. So used stuff should continue to be available. Of course the downside is fewer on the road needing parts.

I think the OP has a good idea. Certainly can't hurt to let them know. I've watched the GM propaganda videos on the launch of the C5 and C6. They constantly state that when designing the cars they kept the Corvette faithful/long time enthusiasts in mind. So maybe it's time to tell them put their money where their mouth is.

One more thing. It strikes me as sort of strange some of the stuff you CAN still get. I just got some new seat foams and seals for the fenders. Lots of other upholstery and trim pieces available. Typically those are the sorts of things to get discontinued first....not an actual hard part for the chassis.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
I'm sure he would if he could fix them. The guts are different between the early and later model EBCM's. Without decent schematics and parts support, nobody will be able to fix them......
^ This. The info I got from them (Absfixer) several years back was they tried and could not reliably repair. Too hit or miss.

AFAIK this is a Bosch designed system and I'm uncertain if Bosch or Delphi manufactured these. At this point it doesn't matter much really.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

PR&C is over yonder, not here.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 05-17-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: It's time to quit dicking around.....