Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see those POLISHED rear cradles and CONTROL ARMS!!!!!!.........................

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Let's see those POLISHED rear cradles and CONTROL ARMS!!!!!!.........................

Chrome covers just don't look right, who has polished the rear cradle/LCA's????

Let's see some pics

Noticed Bret Bradbury invested the time into his Z06 in the FI section(blownblueZ06)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Suprfun
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...trol-arms.html.
Thanks to the Sharkhide coating the polish has held up well.

Last edited by Fast one; 05-12-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

that's a 1997 or early 1998, only years with the ABS unit out back

NICE WORK
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Suprfun
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default I knew it!

I knew I shouldn't have subscribed to this thread! Well looks like I know what I'll be doing for one of next winter's projects! Great thread Steve and beautiful job Fast one.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprfun
I knew I shouldn't have subscribed to this thread! Well looks like I know what I'll be doing for one of next winter's projects! Great thread Steve and beautiful job Fast one.
same here....like I don't have enough other projects to do this summer! Ineed to google this Sharkhide coating...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Funnone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one
Sweet Oh my... I don't drive mine the rain If my cradle looked like that it would never leave my Vette Nest....
Old 05-12-2012, 02:25 PM
2004c5blackcoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cradle and control arms clean up very easily using a portable drill and wire wheel attachment. Finish with some mothers billet polish.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:49 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Sharkhide

I did the research for you guys....here's the verbage...go to the site to see some pictures, etc I think I'll be ordering some of this stuff...

SHARKHIDE Metal Protectant was originally formulated forty plus years ago by a group of chemical engineers, whose mission was to create a product that would protect aluminum structural and decorative trim pieces (in the building industry) from the damaging effects of masonry mortar as well as the elements. SHARKHIDE was an instant success! But with the advent of new building styles and materials, the SHARKHIDE formula was no longer needed, and set back on a shelf. And that's where it remained until the mid eighties.

Since then, we here at Flatwater Inc. have introduced the remarkable features of this product into such industries as Marine, Automotive, Cycle, Aircraft, Trucking, RV, Architectural, Building Maintenance and many others. Actually the working principals behind SHARKHIDE are very simple. The materials that make up SHARKHIDE Metal Protectant are a proprietary blend of many types of resins. These resins are then suspended in a blend of two different solvents. When applied to a surface, the solvents rapidly evaporate leaving the actual SHARKHIDE Metal Protectant behind. This forms an air tight film over any metal surface, and will protect against just about anything Mother Nature can throw at it.

In the marine industry, SHARKHIDE is used primarily on aluminum hulls such as Pontoon boats, Houseboat, and Fishing boats. In most instances, a couple of good coats can last many years. It's not uncommon to see three to five years of protection. On applications like motorcycles, muscle cars, show cars and other things that don't see a lot of exposure to the elements, you may see as many as eight or more years. In severe duty applications such as fire/rescue equipment, over the road trucks, dumps, tanks and the like, you can still enjoy one to three (or more) years of protection. And one of the many great features of SHARKHIDE is when it is time to reapply, there's no need to strip or prep the original coat. Since SHARKHIDE's "self etching", you simply wipe a fresh coat over the old one, and the new coat will partially melt, and blend right info the first!

Below are some pictures of test panels we did to send dealers for displays. We simply wiped a couple of coats of SHARKHIDE Metal Protectant on the right sides of the panels when they were new. Then, the panels were submerged in lake water for a few hours at a time. After just a few weeks of this, you can already see a huge difference between the protected and unprotected sides
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The pieces in the pics look great. One of these days I'll take the time and try and get mine that polished.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one
Damn I like that !!!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

I use three different grades of Nuvite to polish aluminum or plastic; like sandpaper, coarse is the first step then medium and fine for the finish step. Some of their customers polish Airstream trailers and old, unpainted aluminum airplanes, that's where the electric polisher saves time. By using sandpaper first then this polish with car buffing pads a sheet of aluminum can be brought up to mirror quality, the same steps also work good on plastics. http://www.nuvitechemical.com/

Last edited by Fast one; 05-12-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

I checked your link to Nuvite. I guess you are using what they call NuShine II, right? It comes in different grades, as you said, Grade S, C, G6, etc.
Which ones are the 3 grades you use?
Could you share some details of the process you followed?
Your car looks beautiful. I wouldn't dare to drive it!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

I use Nushine grades F9 then G6 then S grade after the sanding is completed. First, a die grinder or dremel with a burr removes any casting flash or unwanted cast part numbers. Start sanding with a coarse enough sandpaper that will remove any deep scratches, this step is important because it levels the surface, then work up in steps ending at 1500 or 2000 grit. A Dewalt 4"x4" palm sander speeds up the sanding and the rubber pad doesn't dissolve when using wet sandpaper and water. For polishing small parts a floorstanding drill press allows you to hold the part with both hands, slow buffer speeds seem to work best and won't melt plastic parts. For large parts or sheet aluminum a car buffer does a good job. It's important to start with clean buffing bonnets, they wash up great in the clothes washer, and to switch bonnets when switching compounds. Here's the info from Nuvite: http://www.nuvitechemical.com/images...%2012-2011.pdf.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:37 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

about 6 hours of sanding before polishing is needed on the cradle and LCA's

No easy way to complete this task.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

any others out there? good winter project
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

It scares me to see this.

If I start something like this where will it end... ?

I'm WAY too O.C.D. about my car already. I need to stop reading posts like this.

Toque

Get notified of new replies

To Let's see those POLISHED rear cradles and CONTROL ARMS!!!!!!.........................

Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Toque
It scares me to see this.

If I start something like this where will it end... ?

I'm WAY too O.C.D. about my car already. I need to stop reading posts like this.

Toque

Looks like we wont see Toque for a few months now.....
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Man I want a 4-post lift!!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM
GB Vette
CF Over the Hill Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI-6 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VII Veteran
CI-7 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-08-'09
NCM Ambassador

If someone was to go to the trouble to sand everything down and polish everything it would probably look something this Steve Since this pic the sway bars straps have been chromed and the Bilstein's replaced with LG coilovers...

Quick Reply: Let's see those POLISHED rear cradles and CONTROL ARMS!!!!!!.........................