C5 Road Trip suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default C5 Road Trip suggestions

If you lived in Arkansas and had 9 or 10 days to take a road trip where would you go? I'm looking for something scenic but don't mind some highway time to get there. A few years ago I drove all of the Blueridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. It was awesome. My only idea right now is to drive to Key West.....anyone recommend doing that?

It would be nice to take a trip that included a few days to just relax and enjoy a nice area. I don't want to just drive for 9 days straight.

Any suggestions? Maybe even include some pictures if you have some.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Key West is a great destination, but not this time of year. We are heading to Southern California via old Route 66, spend 3 - 4 days working our way up the coast to Carmel and then head back home. Key West is planned for January.

OBD
Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

What is wrong with Key West this time of year?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suthunman
What is wrong with Key West this time of year?
He can't stand the Heat.
Just picking.
Not to many roads I haven't traveled in the US but if want to go to Key west, drop straight down to the coast, and ride Rt 10 . Do the west coast of Fla then cut across at the bottom. Take a air boat ride while your down there. Nothing like seeing it first hand.. With 9 to 10 days you can explore and shop all along the way.
If its beauty your looking for, you already know the world changes just on the other side of OKC. Trees go from 60 foot to 30 in a 50 miles stretch then before you hit Amarillo their gone. .
To me, Washington with the mountains and lakes everywhere would have to take tops but you know it rains up there a lot. Hit and miss but Rt 12 to Yakima from the coast is breath taking.. Hoover dam is nothing to me but fantastic to most but its a long ride from OKC to get where you have the view unless you like looking at flat open country so thats at least a day and a half from where you are you better have XM or the collection of CD's and remember these's more to come shortly.
The ride along the coast all the way from Washington to Gay Bay... San Francisco is also beautiful so with you being stuck in the middle if you don't make the choice to hit the Keys I would go totally the other way. Washington.
135 to 70. North at Denver on 25 to 90 then north on 15 at Butte to rt 2 at Shelby and ride rt 2 all the way back down to Spokane then have fun in Washington. From Gay Bay come back to Reno on 80, spend a day or so there enjoying the sights and if you can wait till Aug to take your time off HOT Aug. nights is the coolest car show there is. Mr Bill can inform you on that one.
I had must rather hang in Reno than Vegas. Same thing, lot less headache town. You get to see the great Salt Lake this way and Drop south on 15 from SLC and see the grand Canyon on the way home. You being from flat country you will see things you ain't never seen before () doing it that way.
The keys , you'll enjoy the coastal ride getting there but not to much changes in the way of things to look at the whole way down.
If you have a GF or wife doing it with you, Go North west young man, and those are some romantic rides I just told you about up there. The Views are priceless....

Last edited by liveaboard74; 05-11-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,301 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The Tail of the Dragon has always been a Corvette favorite.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Luke is correct. It can get a little steamy in South Florida this time of year.

The Pacific Northwest is by far the best destination for a long road trip. The only problem is the travel time to get there. Most of the reasons have been outlined already, just be sure to go through the "Avenue of the Giants" in Northern California. It is an unbelievable experience.

OBD
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I always wanted to go to the Dakotas
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude
Key West is a great destination, but not this time of year. We are heading to Southern California via old Route 66, spend 3 - 4 days working our way up the coast to Carmel and then head back home. Key West is planned for January.

OBD
I couldn't agree more with you. Or from L.A. up the coast (PCH)
to San Francisco.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

If you do decide on Key West I would include New Orleans, Biloxi, Pensacola Beach, Destin, 30A, Panama City Beach, before that the longer journey south
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2776906
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you get around Daytona do not miss the chance to take the tour at the Daytona 500 race track.
FRED
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I plan on this again this year

http://www.familyevents.com/event/229
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by NealB
I plan on this again this year

http://www.familyevents.com/event/229
Me too

Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mt rushmore would be great. lots of roads for drives and great scenery. also check out bear country usa while there: http://www.bearcountryusa.com/
Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks for some great suggestions. I'd love to go to the west coast but really want more time to do that. I lived in Coos Bay, Oregon when I was too young to remember any of it. Gotta go back one day!!!

My Dad helped build the Hoover Dam. I should really make a point to see that.

Okiebikerdude has a point about the timing for a Key West trip. It would probably be more enjoyable with the top down at a cooler time of year.

The Power Tour sounds interesting but the timing is wrong for me this year.

Mt. Rushmore, that may be one to consider. Points of Interest between here and there??? I'll have to check on it.

Key West still heads the list right now. I've been all over the Gulf Coast from South Padre Island to Panama City Beach and always loved it, even when it was hot. May have to go on down and check out the rest of Florida.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Keys won't be that bad this time of year and its top down weather now. I would not try it in July or August but if you have off in the next few weeks it won't be bad at all. Your just not use to the Humidity living where you live but those are the worst two months to hit fla. Lots of pictures. You know the rules...
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Doug O
Advanced

The wife and I did key west last augest. It was great . If you want to relax during the day and party at night . Its the place to go.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Rockbridge
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Suthunman
Thanks for some great suggestions. I'd love to go to the west coast but really want more time to do that. I lived in Coos Bay, Oregon when I was too young to remember any of it. Gotta go back one day!!!

My Dad helped build the Hoover Dam. I should really make a point to see that.

Okiebikerdude has a point about the timing for a Key West trip. It would probably be more enjoyable with the top down at a cooler time of year.

The Power Tour sounds interesting but the timing is wrong for me this year.

Mt. Rushmore, that may be one to consider. Points of Interest between here and there??? I'll have to check on it.

Key West still heads the list right now. I've been all over the Gulf Coast from South Padre Island to Panama City Beach and always loved it, even when it was hot. May have to go on down and check out the rest of Florida.
I went down to North Miami last September from Virginia. 2200 miles round trip in six days and I didn't put the top down even one time. It was either too hot or raining. Still had a good trip but the comments about the heat are right on. I lived in Ft Lauderdale for ten years twenty years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Road Trip suggestions

Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 AM
GettinMyKicksNaZO6
Advanced

Depends on how much of those 9-10 days you want to spend driving but going to the coast seems like a must. Unless you wanted to head North for cooler temps. If I were in Arkansas though I would be interested in bringin' home a little sand on my floor mats!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:23 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Corvettes@Carlisle end of Aug. Then on to Niagara Falls, & beyond
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2650001
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Corvettes@Carlisle end of Aug. Then on to Niagara Falls, & beyond