Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed LMC5 and got pull key msg

Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
rttmike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed LMC5 and got pull key msg

I installed this last week and it has been good until today. I got in the car and got the pull key message. So I did and everything was good. What gives? 2000 FRC 6-speed.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I installed an LMC5 a few months ago. I've had the pull key message once since the installation. If you continue to have problems with it call Rick at Compliance Parts.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM
kris6868
Burning Brakes

Dam that sucks..
Did you add it because the column locked or wanted to fix it before it happened?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

I just purchased a LMC5 and unlocker, but after seeing several threads like this it is stowed in a rear bin w/ required tools as a "just in case". My CL is working fine, I see no reason to mess with it unless/until it acutally malfunctions.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
rttmike
Racer

I installed it because I was getting the "pull key" message constantly. I also got the "service column lock" message twice. My car had the recall done before I owned it so my column can't lock. But I was very concerned about the 2 mph cut off so I opted for the LMC5

Originally Posted by kris6868
Dam that sucks..
Did you add it because the column locked or wanted to fix it before it happened?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 PM
TAFMAN618
Intermediate

Two months ago I encountered the "Service Column Lock" issue. Couldn't drive my car two feet without the fuel shutoff kicking in. I was afraid of the work involved so, I had a local mechanic doing some other work on my car install the LMC5. On a side note, I need to make a Forum entry to throws some kudos to Joel at Mission Accomplished Auto near Mascoutah, IL; he does outstanding work at reasonable rates.

After installation, the car ran but I got the "Pull Key Wait 10 SEC" message at every key insertion. Joel, the mechanic, contacted Rick and detailed the issue. Rick promptly sent another LMC5 which was installed and eradicated the message. Looks like this has happened a few time, but believe you are in good hands with Compliance Parts.

Suggest you make a call to Rick. Wish you well...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have the LMC5 installed on my car but I'm going to have the 2mph fuel shut off reprogrammed on my car. I would do this no matter which fix I had chosen. If your steering wheel no longer locks and you have the fuel shutoff reprogrammed the column lock issue will never strand you. The worse you will have is the annoying message. Give Rick at compliance a call. It is my understanding he has an LMC5-R that he uses if you are having problems with the regular one. I'm sure he will make it right whatever he has to do. Nothing but rave reviews about his customer service.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 AM
leebay
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 382 Posts

A low battery could cause the problem.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
I just purchased a LMC5 and unlocker, but after seeing several threads like this it is stowed in a rear bin w/ required tools as a "just in case". My CL is working fine, I see no reason to mess with it unless/until it acutally malfunctions.

Same here in the storage bin. I like to "be prepared" but don't believe in "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway".
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered this product. I am not having any issues at all but none of the recalls have ever been done to my C5. The lock works as it should, but have always been told there are 2 kinds of C5's those that have malfunctioned and those that will.

After seeing these type of stories I am concerned. Should I install it or save it till there are issues?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethystVette
Just ordered this product. I am not having any issues at all but none of the recalls have ever been done to my C5. The lock works as it should, but have always been told there are 2 kinds of C5's those that have malfunctioned and those that will.

After seeing these type of stories I am concerned. Should I install it or save it till there are issues?
Again, there are 3 types of C5 here. Add the ones that didn't come with the column lock as I mentioned above. But anyway, to answer your question, if I owned a manual or 97-2000 automatic, I'd install the LMC5 BEFORE I was stranded or in a situation that made it difficult to complete. Why wait?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Again, there are 3 types of C5 here. Add the ones that didn't come with the column lock as I mentioned above. But anyway, to answer your question, if I owned a manual or 97-2000 automatic, I'd install the LMC5 BEFORE I was stranded or in a situation that made it difficult to complete. Why wait?
I wasn't counting the ones that didn't come with the issue, only those that did, but yes you are correct, 3 flavors.

My concern comes from people here saying that after installation that problems started. At least thats the impression I am getting. I'm all for installing it at my convenience and not in a parking lot someplace in the rain. I would hate to install it and then have issues creep up that so far I have not had. Every time I hear the lock engage I cringe a little wondering if/when mine will malfunction.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too had the "Pull Key wait 10 sec.", on and off for several years, but GM confirmed I had the fix installed in 2005 (prev. owner). But 4-25-12, the steering wheel locked, even with the so called FIX. I was stranded in my garage for over a week and a half.

Installed the LMC5 with the un-lock kit, but it wouldn't unlock. Rich at Compliance Parts was with me in spirit and on the phone, we did everything he knew to un-lock that solenoid, but she wouldn't budge. This forum was helpful with a hint to hit the solenoid with a small hammer, that did it. I then re-installed the LMC5 and all is well.

If you're still geting that message, I believe Rich said some Vettes may need a new LMC5-R to resolve that. Bottom line call Compliance Parts, Rich is the best at this since he designed it. You will be happy with the outcome for sure. Install the LMC5 don't worry about the GM fixes, the LMC5 replaces all the stock and fix with it's design, simple, effective and NO MORE STEERING WHEEL LOCK...

Last edited by Jesse Asis; 05-09-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 PM
rttmike
Racer

I am the OP of this thread. I had issues before I installed the LMC5. I talked to rich today. (great guy) I am going to see how it goes for the next 1-2 weeks. He instantly offered to send me a revised edition but I declined. He says that some people get the "pull key" message every once and a while (and usually only once) but do not get the 2 mph cutoff. I am 100% ok with this. The 2 mph cutoff is all I am concerned about.

Again, he offered to send me a replacement but I don't want to see a good company like his lose money with such great customer service. I will update with the outcome.

Originally Posted by AmethystVette
I wasn't counting the ones that didn't come with the issue, only those that did, but yes you are correct, 3 flavors.

My concern comes from people here saying that after installation that problems started. At least thats the impression I am getting. I'm all for installing it at my convenience and not in a parking lot someplace in the rain. I would hate to install it and then have issues creep up that so far I have not had. Every time I hear the lock engage I cringe a little wondering if/when mine will malfunction.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Because it seems as with the OP, many folks install them and have issues anyway! Im in the "if it aint broke leave it be" mode. If it strands me somewhere I cant install immediately, I have USAA roadside!

I am the OP of this thread. I had issues before I installed the LMC5. I talked to rich today. (great guy) I am going to see how it goes for the next 1-2 weeks. He instantly offered to send me a revised edition but I declined....
I think the fact there are two models, but you dont get an offer for the better one until you complain about the one you bought smells.ai lil' fishy to me!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What C5's are you referring to that didn't come with the Column Lock?

Are you referring to the 2001 - 2004 automatic trans cars??

All C5's came with the column lock function. The locic is built into the BCM and cannot be deleted easily and/or inexpensively. If it could have been then GM might not have been in such a quandry on how to fix the issue.
Yes I'm referring to the 01-04 automatics as I stated earlier. They did not come with the column lock function, therefore not all C5's did. Maybe we're talking semantics here, but the column never locked on those models and I've read enough of your posts helping everyone with this to know that you know that, so I'm thinking it's just something about the way I stated it that got you to post. I certainly didn't say it was possibe or easy to delete. Just that the columns didn't lock on these so the original statement that there are two kinds, ones that have locked and ones that will is not an accurate statement.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 05-09-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Good info ^^^

So if I read that correctly if the car has never gone in for the recall it could still be covered on GM's dime?

Get notified of new replies

To Installed LMC5 and got pull key msg

Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that is the rumor, but you best call GM and confirm that with the Service department adjuster. Again, our rides are hitting 12 years old, they my not cover the phone call. When I talked to the Service adjuster for my situation, he told me GM was only able to cover one attempted fix, so if you got fix #1,#2 or #3 and it still locked your steering wheel, fix #4 (which is a physical plate installed in the steering column so the solenoid can't latch up) is the fix that will stop the locking wheel, as far as the 2 mile cut off, I didn't ask him on that.

I spoke to Rich at Compliance Parts and he sent me the installation and a wiring diagram and I could see that the LMC5 cuts out all of the electrical wires and solenoid in the stock design. It replaces it and sends the BCM the correct information so you don't have a lock or fuel shut off, it truely is simple and works. In stead of all those wires down stream, you fix it at the source, the BCM and you don't have to look back. PS, it's reversiable if you desire...
Good Luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

I have to go back to the stealership to pick up 2 $10 each hood adjuster bolts, I will ask them then. I couldn't find front hood adjusters anyplace but the stealership and even then I had to take a picture of the location since they kept trying to sell me the rubber rear hood adjusters.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
That is correct. GM MUST do the NHTSA recall service on the car if it has never been done before. The GMVIS will show whether the Column Lock Recall service is still outstanding on the car. The NHTSA recall NEVER expires as long as the service has not been done to the vehicle. GM will do it free ***.

There is also a misunderstanding about the different variations of the recall service. They were NOT separate recalls. Just different variations of the work done to complete the NHTSA recall. Back in the 2004 time frame when the recall came out GM was trying to correct the problem once and for all, albeit as cheaply as possible. The different variations had slightly different parts that were installed in an attempt to correct the problem. Unfortuneately the fault lies in the design of the BCM logic and GM was NOT willing to spend the $$$$ to redesign the BCM and then free of charge install it into the hundreds of thousands of cars in the recall. Some cars but certainly not all cars got more than one variation of the recall service done free by GM. By late 2006 they were anxious to put a stop to the $$$ they were spending on the column lock issue for a car that had been out of production for more than 3 years. They were already spending $$$ on the column lock problems for the C6 manual trans vehicles that were experiencing failures but not of the nature to be a safety risk that would warrant a NHTSA recall.

There is an advantage to the 04006C recall being done on a car that has never had the recall service. Namely GM does NOT set the fuel shutoff on that variation of their service. If you read the tables at the front of the link I posted you will see that. So with the 04006C recall done you will not get stranded by the system. Most you will get is the PIA "Pull key and wait....." message in the DIC. Car will still be driveable even if the GM K Harness installed as a part of 04006C fails and it likely will.

*** There can, however, be a hitch that will cost the vehicle owner $$$ even if the recall service has never been done. If the column lock motor has failed, replacement of that part is NOT covered for free.......

My lock solenoid works perfectly as far as I can tell. I have only had the car 3 weeks, so no issues yet. The original owner I got it from says he never had it done, but when I check online for recalls, none come up.

Should I leave it alone, attempt to get the recall done, or just install the parts from Compliance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed LMC5 and got pull key msg