Sponsored by:

can foglights be adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can foglights be adjusted?

can the foglight height be adjusted? if so how? I just installed a 6000k hid kit and even though the kit looks nice i feel the aim is pointed to low. any way to adjust it?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by rootpooty
can the foglight height be adjusted? if so how? I just installed a 6000k hid kit and even though the kit looks nice i feel the aim is pointed to low. any way to adjust it?
If you look to the upper outer edge of the foglight from the front of the car, you'll see a torx 15 screw. This is your adjuster. Clockwise twisting will raise the light.

Ideally the top of your beam should be between 10 and 12" from the ground at 20'
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
If you look to the upper outer edge of the foglight from the front of the car, you'll see a torx 15 screw. This is your adjuster. Clockwise twisting will raise the light.

Ideally the top of your beam should be between 10 and 12" from the ground at 20'
thanks. its nowhere near that height. the torx 15 screw, this is accessed from the housing or can i see it from standing in front of the car? which is the best way to access it? when i did the fogs i removed the headlight lids and shrouds then closed the buckets and the install was a breeze
Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Fog Lamp Aiming

There is no horizontal aiming for the C5 foglamps

Preparation:

Prepare the aiming area. You can use the garage wall providing its at least 25’ from the car and the ground is level. Make sure the tire pressures are correct and the tank is full or the calibration may be out. Park the vehicle square with the aiming surface. Close the doors and rock the car to stabilise the suspension.

Mark some calibration lines using chalk or masking tape:
Find the center of the headlight and measure the distance to the ground. Mark a horizontal line on the surface (garage door or wall) using masking tape at the same distance from the ground.
Stick a piece of tape in the center of the windscreen and another on the rear glass to use as reference marks.
Line these up from behind the car and use them to mark the centerline of the car on the wall.
Measure the distance between the center of both headlight lenses and use this to measure from the center point you just marked on the surface.

Adjustment

Raise the hood.
Raise the headlamps.
Turn on the low beam lamps. The service manual advises leaving headlights on and blocking the beam. It works just as well by selecting park or backing off the headlight switch to the park position to turn off the headlights.
Turn on the fog lamps

Insert a torx driver through the front fascia deflector access hole to reach the fog lamp vertical adjustment screw

Adjust the fog lamp up or down until the top edge of the high intensity zone is 4” below the horizontal centre line.

Turn off all the lights.

For owners with Z06 screens , you can use a long shafted torx screwdriver slotted through the grille to get to the adjustment screw.

Thanks to Junkman for his pic
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

thanks DeeGee! one more question and i dont want to start another thread on this. when adjusting the headlamps which screw controls the horizontal aim the one that sits further inside or the outer one? again thanks for the help
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

thanks DeeGee! one more question and i dont want to start another thread on this. when adjusting the headlamps which screw controls the horizontal aim the one that sits further inside or the outer one? again thanks for the help
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

thanks toque it doesnt get any more detailed then that. thanks man!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Also, with HID fogs, if you aim the beam high (duplicating the standard high beam path of light) you accomplish the same effect but with far greater light. But keep your finger on the fog button to avoid blinding oncoming cars...works great if you are a lone vehicle on a country 2 lane road watching for deer.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Also, with HID fogs, if you aim the beam high (duplicating the standard high beam path of light) you accomplish the same effect but with far greater light. But keep your finger on the fog button to avoid blinding oncoming cars...works great if you are a lone vehicle on a country 2 lane road watching for deer.
tell me about it i live in the middle of nowhere in indiana. i couldnt drive the car with its horrible factory lighting. ive heard of people on here talking about just driving around city with just the fogs on cause they give off good light with hids but i knew they had to be adjusted cause i can barely see them light the road cause they are pointed too far down
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

tell me about it i live in the middle of nowhere in indiana. i couldnt drive the car with its horrible factory lighting. ive heard of people on here talking about just driving around city with just the fogs on cause they give off good light with hids but i knew they had to be adjusted cause i can barely see them light the road cause they are pointed too far down
sounds like you need a set of these:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...group-buy.html

yes....that is low beam:

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer; 05-03-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Torx 15
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
sounds like you need a set of these:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...group-buy.html

yes....that is low beam:

yes i def need a set of those. for now im just using hids in the stock housings. i know you dont agree with it lol but thats all i can do for now. what is the difference between 6000k bulbs vs the 55w hid your kits use?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

yes i def need a set of those. for now im just using hids in the stock housings. i know you dont agree with it lol but thats all i can do for now. what is the difference between 6000k bulbs vs the 55w hid your kits use?
It's all about projector-based optics. The factory housing does a "great" job of scattering light all over the place versus a projector which evenly distributes light focusing a gradual hotspot at the top-center of the pattern for long-distance vision. Same overall output, but MUCH more effective use of it.

My new Modified ACA headlights use the same projector and HID kit shown in that picture, but retain the pop up style and at less than half the price of the SLC V2s:

http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...dlights-15.htm
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

If you don't want to spend the money on the fancy ones, just do what I suggested first, then you will see what I am talking about, and how good it is at night...HID fogs are very reasonably priced, and work great combined with HID low beams for much of the membership here who don't drive the car much at night. In my case the only time I drive in the dark is after my golf league night, once a week....not enough to sink big bucks into another light system....you may be in the same situation.

Get notified of new replies

To can foglights be adjusted?

Quick Reply: can foglights be adjusted?