Sponsored by:

C5 price drop when C7 comes out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
C3 folks said the same about the C4, then they bought a C4, C4 folks said the same about the C5, then bought a C5. Some people say that about the C6, and they/us will eventually buy a C6 and some already have.

Ah, the never ending saga of boys and their cars
The C4 was an all new car. The C3 and C2 were almost identical under the bodywork. That is why I see a parallel between the C5/C6 and he C2/C3, both cars are just an evolution of the prior generation.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Grimlock
The C4 was an all new car. The C3 and C2 were almost identical under the bodywork. That is why I see a parallel between the C5/C6 and he C2/C3, both cars are just an evolution of the prior generation.
Very true.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Well in that case, the C2 should be much cheaper since the C2/C3 are so similar.
Problem with that is time went by. The herd has been thinned. Now rarity kicks in with collectibility. Price goes up. Same will happen with our platform after a couple decades pass.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DC231
Its really hard to project what's going to happen as there are many different variables at play when it comes to the fate of C5 values.

I'm sure there are many different schools of thought when it comes to how much further these cars are going to depreciate, so I'll take a stab here.

There are a few main factors when it comes to where values are gonna go.

1) Number of C5 "fans" who have always aspired to own a C5, perhaps not previous vette owners. DEMAND

2) Number of C4 "disposers" who will upgrade once C5 values dip to a level they are comfortable or able to pay (I believe we have already reached this point for the most part) DEMAND

3) Number of C5 disposers who will get out of the C5 and "upgrade" to the C6 once it depreciates to a comfortable or able to pay price point (I think we're already at stage 1 of this) SUPPLY

4) Number of C6 disposers who will upgrade into a C7 (Supply for C5 disposers)

Provided that the supply part of the equation does not exceed the supply coming in, I would say you can count on values staying pretty solid.

The unfortunate part is that we know cars generally depreciate over time, and if there are significant numbers of C6 owners trading / selling to get into a C6, this will depress C6 values, becoming more attractive to C5 owners looking to upgrade, who dump their cars leading to a "Sell off" so to speak of C5 supply, flooding the market and depleting values.

How likely is this to happen? The good news is that overall C5 production numbers and C6 production numbers are pretty close in terms of volume. Broken out by generation, it looks like this:

The garbage economy over the past 4 years helped keep production low, which is good for vette values in general, but of particular mention is that because of the relatively low amount of C6's in the market, there are fewer people who can possibly "upgrade" to a C7, leading to a relatively minimal amount of C6's that can come into the market and ultimately depress C5 values further. Of course, we're talking 200K+ units (these are worldwide figures) so they are extremely far from rare, but a C6 should fare better than a C5 did when they really started to fall.

If you look at the yearly production, you can see that on a yearly basis, surprisingly the C4 sold the fewest units, but because of the length of the production run, there are a ton of these cars in the market. Despite this, and their relative "civility" they were suitable daily drivers vs the C3 and values have held on relatively well. I'm still surprised to see these cars sell in the mid-teens for decent lower mile (sub 100K) examples.

At this point, I would think that if a decent C4 can command in the neighborhood of $10K, a C5 in the same condition is easily worth a $5k premium (non Z06). The issue now is, what is the ceiling of C5 values, which as C6's get down in the mid 20's, the same valuation holds true in my opinion. Is a C6 worth $7.5K more than a C5? Depends who you ask, but I think so. There will be a few exceptions, but I think as time goes on, a new buyer into the vette world won't see a LS2 C6 as only worth a slight premium over a C5Z, they are going to see it as an "old" vette vs. a "newer" vette because one looks new and the other looks "old". From a specs perspective, they are virtually the same, but we all know better....

As I see it, the best way to hege yourself against depreciation is to buy a limited production colour, unique colour combination and that's pretty much it. due to manufacturing limitations, automakers are offering less and less unique combinations, meaning its harder to own that "one of a kind" car with an odd combination of options.

Overall, these things are not investments, its a safe bet that you will be hard pressed to sell the car for even what you paid unless you got a smokin deal. I purchased my Z for what I felt was a great price and the stance that I will only sell it to get into a C6Z, but its going to be a loooong time until those cars are sub $30K for a decent example. I bought my Z when it was 10 years old, so it will probably be another 5-6 years until I can look to selling it for a C6. At that point, who knows what it will be worth. One thing's for sure that the enjoyment I would have derived from it at that point far exceeds the depreciation.

To finalize, here's where I see things going, of course there will be exceptions on the low and high end a few years out (next 2-3 years)

97-00 coupe/frc - $9k - $14K
97-00 vert - 10k-15k

01-04 coupe - $11K-17K
01 Z06 - 14K - 16K
02-04 Z06 - 15K - 18K
04 Z16 - 18K - 24k
01-04 vert - 14K - 23K

Feel free to disagree / discuss.
Take a look at what CARMAX is charging for C5s with their no haggle pricing. It is a lot higher than what you have here.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM
98DC231
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by halp
Take a look at what CARMAX is charging for C5s with their no haggle pricing. It is a lot higher than what you have here.
My projection is 2-3 years out, but we all know that carmax pricing is not reality, just like most of the cars for sale here on CF. What they ask, and what they really sell for are two entirely different things.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't see them dropping much more than they are now, considerign how much car you get for the money. It's a moot point for me anyway, I have spent way too much money on mods to even think of selling my car. Besides, I love my C5 Z06 and I don't feel compelled to "upgrade" to a C6.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Does a rising tide lift all boats? How much are new convertibles now?

I bought an 04 Convertible new just before the 05's were due out. Stickered for 55 I think it was and paid around 45. We built a house a couple of years ago and had some cost over-runs. Wife asked me to consider selling the 04 Vert for 28 offer we had received so I checked on the price of new ones... was going to take over 70 to get a new one I would want. I told my wife I would sell the 04 to help cover the house if she agreed to get another new one later after the finances were back in order. Without further discussion she started looking for another source for the funds.

Greg
Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
C5 prices have already dropped quite a bit. I think they may drop a little more, when the C7's come out, but I think most of the drop has already happened.

I think the ones that will drop are the C6's. The early C6's seem to be overpriced right now and I expect a correction drop when the C7's come out.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jornahow
I'm expecting a C5 price increase when people see the new C7 and realize that the C5 is still the most beautiful 21st century Corvette.
FTW!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before I go dropping the price on a C5, can anyone tell me what the new C7 is gonna really look like... "Car and Driver" has on the front cover a 2014 Corvette, and inside the artical shows a rear end view... I'm not to sure I like it, it may have to grow on me like the C6. Over all it still looks like a Corvette, sharper lines, more lines are carried over, but the tail lights look more like the Camaro's than Corvette.. I just don't know... I guess time will tell.

Quick Reply: C5 price drop when C7 comes out?