Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 price drop when C7 comes out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If anything, a good C5 with low miles will sell for a price comparable to a C6 with the same miles, if the equipment is similar.

If you've updated the cabin tech with a new head unit, maybe a console cover, decent floor mats, etc., you have a better looking car than a base C6.

And unless you're into bragging rights or a stoplight racer, the power difference isn't significant. Plenty of adult buyers will go for the nicer C5 as opposed to the C6.

The "book" will always put a $2-3K per year premium on the newer car, but individual buyers who have shopped around and know what they want will value the C5.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago
I think the ones that have to worry more are the C6 owners. C5 prices have really dumped in the past few years, but how much lower can they go? Hopefully not too much.
with this. They are a bit higher in Canada but wow, not even worth selling with the time and money Ive put into it.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 AM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars have a pretty predictable bell curve. there are exceptions, but not as many now as there was in the past. Here is how I see it, full break down

C1 Prices are steady, and may drop a bit in the next few years. Fact is, people who remeber these cars do not have as much disposable income. If you were 16 in 1962 that puts you at 66 now. A lot of these people are retiring, and the income is becoming more fixed

C2 Steady, with some slight increases still. think of C1's about 10 years ago. C2's have already had the major rise in price and are crazy expenseive.

C3 -early. (68-72). These are experiencing the crazy price increase that the C2's had. going up.

C3 - 73. this is a weird car. Kind of like the 63, but has not had the desire of the split-window. Good become the king of the C3, could become the odd man out eventually. Kind of a wild card.

C3 late (74-82) Seeing some slight increases after holding for a time. Look for them to take off in about 7 or 8 years, and you will hear people liking the clean look over the chrome bumpers (laugh now, but guys in my age range remember the smooth bumper cars on the road when we were young. When we get to our 40s and 50s, we will be wanting these bad).

C4 - this car is holding. They have bottomed out, and will stay pretty level for a bit, may see some slight increases before too long

C5 - Still has some dropping to do, but not much and will not drop fast. Will be a slow drop for most of the run of the C7, start holding when rumors of the C8 break. Will not bottom out as low as the C4, which did not bottom out as low as the C3, etc (this is not factoring in inflation, just dollar bills).

C6- will take the biggest hit when the C7 comes out. going to take a beating as that 2005 will no longer look like a new car. Got a long ways to go before bottoming out, but will bottom out slightly higher than the C5.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:06 AM
routeman007
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by momo20
i look for the early 2005-06 c6 vettes with the ls-2 to take a bigger hit then the c5's will..the c5's have hit the low..and like others said i highly doubt they will drop below 10k
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I would guess the release of the C7 will affect the C5 in the same manner as the C4.. not much. The C5 has already been hit with the reality of being the older body style, its the C6's turn.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

I'm expecting a C5 price increase when people see the new C7 and realize that the C5 is still the most beautiful 21st century Corvette.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:43 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by themonk
There's an a$$ for every seat, C5's have pretty much bottomed out, they'll never be a 10K car (as long as it's in good condition), they are, after all a Corvette (and one of the better gens). I wouldn't worry too much about it, I can still get 20K for my '03 vert if I'm willing to wait.
I wonder if they said that about the C4
Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Having owned a 1980 L82 <bought new in 1980>, I would think
twice before getting rid of my C5 cor a C3.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 AM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to consider is the C5 is the last generation of the flip-lights. Don't really know how that will affect futures, but I personally love that aspect about corvettes and is one thing I wish they carried over to the C6 generation.

I will however move on to a c6 z06 in a few years as I believe that the price drop will be much faster for the C6 generation than the C5 had/having.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 AM
03 A/E Coupe
Team Owner

Received 196 Likes on 118 Posts

This whole topic: despite the excellent in depth analysis, previous generational analogies, crystal ball gazing, demographic study, economic forecasting , and overall generalizing, can’t be applied to each and every C5 - all quarter million of them - still left out there.

The C7 release will happen, that is a fact.
The used car market is unique in that there are truly are no two cars alike.
No two cars share the same: wear, tear, abuse, miles, mods, scratches, chips, rips, etc.

Each individual C5’s value will be what a real buyer is willing to pay a real seller; C7, C8, or even the C9 release will have little if any impact whatsoever.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 03 A/E Coupe
This whole topic: despite the excellent in depth analysis, previous generational analogies, crystal ball gazing, demographic study, economic forecasting , and overall generalizing, can’t be applied to each and every C5 - all quarter million of them - still left out there.

The C7 release will happen, that is a fact.
The used car market is unique in that there are truly are no two cars alike.
No two cars share the same: wear, tear, abuse, miles, mods, scratches, chips, rips, etc.

Each individual C5’s value will be what a real buyer is willing to pay a real seller; C7, C8, or even the C9 release will have little if any impact whatsoever.
While this is true, most buyers will look at value ratings before purchase. Overall prices do fluctuate, and I still think have a bit of a drop to take. Yes, each one will have a diffrent value based on wear. But, If you took a car right now that was a 20k vette and put it in a vacum storage. Waited tell after the C7 came out, and then pulled it out for sale I would be willing to bet it would no longer be a 20k vette. Hence, the price for C5s falling.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did quite a bit of hunting last summer and was seriously considering a 94-96 C4. Yes, early C4s could be bought for 4-5 grand but really clean 94-96s were more around 10. Verts higher as would be expected. These prices seem to have leveled off. I can't see a comparable C5 ever selling for less.

I agree with many that the C6 will be effected more. A C5 is not in the same market as a new Corvette. Prices on new ones continue to rise. They certainly are not remotely in my price range. If anything, the continued price increases should make clean older models more in demand.

Ya know what......forget all that. I bought one so the market is sure to fall off a cliff. Happens with everything else I buy.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Wow a lot of you dream in color. Every month, every mile your car is depreciating. Fact. In 10-15 years maybe the pristine garage queens may rise but your 100,000+ mile cars will have little value. The release of c7's c8's or whatever will have little to do with values. Desirability has less value than rarity. C5's aren't rare. In fact being the c6 is so similar will work against the c5/c6's becoming rare with the exception of anniversary editions, zr1 editions etc.

Face it your C5 is just a decent sports car and not an investment unless you hold onto it for 20 more years or so and don't drive it, don't mod it, and keep the numbers matching.

Last edited by Camjamsdad; 05-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSpeed
I feel its a better time to sell now (if I do) then to sell later on.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Wow a lot of you dream in color. Every month, every mile your car is depreciating. Fact. In 10-15 years maybe the pristine garage queens may rise but your 100,000+ mile cars will have little value. The release of c7's c8's or whatever will have little to do with values. Desirability has less value than rarity. C5's aren't rare. In fact being the c6 is so similar will work against the c5/c6's becoming rare with the exception of anniversary editions, zr1 editions etc.

Face it your C5 is just a decent sports car and not an investment unless you hold onto it for 20 more years or so and don't drive it, don't mod it, and keep the numbers matching.
Well in that case, the C2 should be much cheaper since the C2/C3 are so similar.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Well in that case, the C2 should be much cheaper since the C2/C3 are so similar.

All I know is I hear a lot of people saying they don't care for the looks of the C6. The C5 and C6 may be similar and share the same basic layout but there seems to be a big difference of opinions on the styling.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by f6john
I can't see the C7 having an impact on the C5 market unless there is a wholesale dump of C5 cars by their owners to move up to a C7. Not likely!!??

Get notified of new replies

To C5 price drop when C7 comes out?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

C5 owners won't be moving up to a C7 most likely, but several C6 owners will. Then the C6 value drops and C5 owners will move to a C6, C4 to C5.

While there are always loyalists in every generation it also reflects market and economics. Let's face it, if most of us could afford it we would be sporting around in C6 ZR1 or even a base C6, but face facts, most cannot do it, or choose not to for whatever reason. I could but why?

Yes there are some original purchasers of a c5 who still have them and there are also plenty of original C4 owners who still have them. But they are a minority, not majority. Most of us bought a C5 when we could afford it and/or justify the expense of it.

These cars are bought new by people with money to spend. They will upgrade and all used cars become used cars. Everything goes down, and the worthy ones come back up. But these have not yet hit the bottom.

A few people like to bash on the C4, but you all do realize they were one, if not the most expensive vette ever produced. new in 1990 my C4 cost 36K. My 99 FRC just 39K. Now look at the C4. to think the same thing won't happen to the C5 is dismissing economics.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by fendermender

All I know is I hear a lot of people saying they don't care for the looks of the C6. The C5 and C6 may be similar and share the same basic layout but there seems to be a big difference of opinions on the styling.
Exactly some people's thoughts after the C3 was released. Obviously it didn't help when five years later the C3 was neutered power-wise.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Exactly some people's thoughts after the C3 was released. Obviously it didn't help when five years later the C3 was neutered power-wise.
C3 folks said the same about the C4, then they bought a C4, C4 folks said the same about the C5, then bought a C5. Some people say that about the C6, and they/us will eventually buy a C6 and some already have.

Ah, the never ending saga of boys and their cars

Quick Reply: C5 price drop when C7 comes out?