First accident

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
slj455
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer
Default First accident

Well I went and had a new battery installed, and on the way back home a guy in a pick up pulls a u turn from a parking position ... crosses in front of me. I had no time to stop before hitting him. He was pretty nice and admitted to me and the cops that he pulled an illegal u turn.

Cop asked me if I wanted a ticket issued,,,, I said no. Hope that was not a mistake, but the other driver was very apologetic and copped to responsibility. He also had the same insurance company as me.

the front facia is cracked in several places, and the signal light lens looks cracked.

Not happy but no one was hurt.now gotta find a good shop. thinking of using the Chevy Dealer. I have had good luck in the past using dealers for body work.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:20 PM
slj455
Instructor

Oldtimer
Default first accident

another pic

Old 04-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, in a lot of instances it doe matter what a witness says or what the officer writes, but in this instance the location of the damage on both vehicles makes it pretty clear what happened. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good luck with the guys insurance company and the fix.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Silverback51
Race Director

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Should have had a ticket issued. Then you would have had documentation it was his fault.

Hope it does not come back to bite you.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had someone hit me in the Silvy a couple years back and they took off. Had to chase 'em down. Turned out to be a scared 16yr old girl, so when the sheriff asked if I wanted to press charges on hit and run I refused to add insult to injury. She admitted fault to me and the sheriff. So all was good. NOT!!!

Turned out she changed her story for her insurance company so with no witnesses the whole thing had to go to arbitration.

Since the officer made no mention of a hit and run in his report, My insurance company had me write up an attachment to the conflicting report and take it to the sheriff station where they were none too pleased with my add on report. Seems that possibly the reporting officer was probably suppose to make mention of the offense and chose to leave it out. At least this was my assessment since the two officers at the station were borderline on attaching it to the initial report.

To my favor, since in the report the girl initially admitted fault, my insurance company said it would be cut and dry in arbitration and they waived my deductible. But this is one example of how s*#t happens.

Never did do a follow up to see how it all ended, but whatever the outcome that thing called karma will come back to haunt ya.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I know you didn't want to be a bad guy but if a ticket is issued then the insurance Co. can determine percent of fault for each driver and that is what they base the rates on your policy when they determine your next policy premium.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM
slj455
Instructor

Oldtimer

The other driver did admit to the police officer. In addition he has the same insurance company as I do.

Maybe I should have had the ticket, but I am relying on the police report documenting the guys admission. There will be a report.

Worst case is I have to pay my deductible.

Sometimes you just have to trust your feelings about others.

This was not a kid, but an adult not much younger than me.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,455 Likes on 14,055 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I probably would have had the LEO issue a ticket - but that would just be to cover my butt in case any questions arose later.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the ACCIDENT. I am still having this problem of in the faulted states, mostly southern, everyone thinks that tickets should be issued.
That's why accidents are called accidents, someone who admits that they are wrong gets the insurance hit, in most cases the officer determines who was at fault.

Believe me it doesn't get the car fixed any sooner. The accident report has a spot on it for whose fault it is. It is up to you to actually read the accident report before you accept it and if it doesn't have all the facts, then you have the right to an correct one. There are some states that treat a ticket as an actual crime, which also make no sense to me. But get a ticket and now you have a criminal record.

Just My 2 Cents.

Last edited by Jewjenk; 04-29-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems strange to me that a cop would ask someone if he should write a ticket. Are they not suposed to know these things? Way back when I was still a teen, I was in an accident that was my fault. Cop sent me a ticket and I don't remember him asking anyone. Heck, he never even mentioned it. It just showed up in the mail.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fendermender
Seems strange to me that a cop would ask someone if he should write a ticket. Are they not suposed to know these things? Way back when I was still a teen, I was in an accident that was my fault. Cop sent me a ticket and I don't remember him asking anyone. Heck, he never even mentioned it. It just showed up in the mail.
In some states, Cops can't write tickets unless they personally witness the infraction. The police report is just as good as a ticket for proof.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewjenk
Sorry for the ACCIDENT. There are some states that treat a ticket as an actual crime, which also make no sense to me. But get a ticket and now you have a criminal record.

Just My 2 Cents.
I don't know where that State is...but for God's sake and your childrens get out of it as fast as you can....

There are better places to live free...than under oppressive regimes.

But you should have had a ticket issued, I have been run into by a 16yr old girl talking on her cell phone and even tried lying her way out of it waiting on Daddy to rescue her from the big ole bad policeman and me. She didn't even comprehend why she was being bothered by all the hassle of it all. Sorry for the rant...it just gets my goat about how mindless people are today.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
TNX ZORA
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't realize there were any states left that gave that much attention to Due Process. Would be a great place to live (where you were actually considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law).

Originally Posted by raydawg357
In some states, Cops can't write tickets unless they personally witness the infraction. The police report is just as good as a ticket for proof.

Last edited by TNX ZORA; 04-30-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you having to pay a deductible? It was the other guy's fault. He should be paying for both. I've never paid a deductible for any wreck where I was not at fault. Is it different in other States?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
slj455
Instructor

Oldtimer
Default follow up

The police officer did not see the accident. When he arrived, he saw there was no drama or contentiousness. Guess he did not want to add or create any. It is after all a somewhat small town.

As for deductible, I said worst case scenario, where the other driver decided to lie. My adjuster said as long as the report quotes the other driver and or he admits to his adjuster (remember same insurance co.) then I would not be paying deductible.

already went to a body shop in the area that the ins. recommended. Well known with good rep. Told me they would replace and paint the front bumper. When the part comes in they will call. would take a few days.

Said that they would only blend in hood etc. as needed.

well we'll see. As upset as I was, my wife had the right attitude...

"you knew this was possible because you were going to drive it and not keep it in a garage. Get over it, get it fixed and enjoy it!!!"

She is right ... of course..... feel better already now that I know where and about when it will be repaired.

Thought did occur to me that if I knew how to do the work I could put a custom front on....... uh oh... I feel the force .........
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Cameldog
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Time for a Tiger Shark front end upgrade!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To First accident

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by slj455
The other driver did admit to the police officer. In addition he has the same insurance company as I do.

Maybe I should have had the ticket, but I am relying on the police report documenting the guys admission. There will be a report.

Worst case is I have to pay my deductible.

Sometimes you just have to trust your feelings about others.

This was not a kid, but an adult not much younger than me.
Here's another possible solution (hind sight is 20-20). When the officer asked if you'd like to have a ticket issued, you said no which shows you're a good guy that trusts people. However, you might have asked the officer to issue a "warning" ticket so that proof might be available if needed down the road. And no, I wouldn't have thought of it either at the moment.... All in all, I think you'll come out ok on this one.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

People are going back and forth about the ticket, doesnt make much sense to me IMO.

The accident did not occur at an intersection.
One car has front end damage.
One car has direct side damage.

No matter what anyone says, no matter what citations were or weren't issued:

How can that be anything other than an improper U-Turn or failure to yield when entering the roadway?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 AM
slj455
Instructor

Oldtimer
Default End Story

I did not want to leave readers without an ending to my story so....

Police report documented other driver taking responsibility for accident. I got the front replaced painted etc along with new passenger side turn signal. No cost to me at all.... Repair was done nicely, in fact the seam between bumper and fenders is better than it was.

Only issue was that the signal bulb on the drivers side seemed very dim compared to the new light. So once again this forum assisted me. I researched how to replace the signal bulb, and chose what I though would be the easiest for me, going through the front by moving the large tube that channels air to the brake. I do have skinny hands and arms, so the replacement took all of ten minutes. This forum is great!!!!

Quick Reply: First accident