Sponsored by:

Tire hold down for full size spare

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:55 AM
qipman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire hold down for full size spare

Hello everyone, I am planning a 10 hour+ drive this summer and would like to take my extra C5 rim and wheel with me in case of a flat that cannot be field repaired (I do not have run-flats). I am fully not interested in being towed for a flat, and I have had my C5 for 2 years now and the only thing that bothers me is the possibility of getting a flat. I took a test cruise around the neighborhood with the wheel in the trunk (coupe) and found that I did not mind having it back there. I am considering implementing a tire hold down bolt of sorts for safety during this trip, and of course for use thereafter as well. I found an old post from 2009 on this topic, however am looking for anyone that has done this and if so any information on how it was done.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 AM
breeze01
Intermediate

I have not done this and don't have advice on how to secure it but the one thing that jumps out at me is your spare will only be either front or rear size. Is that not a problem?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 AM
qipman
Racer

Originally Posted by breeze01
I have not done this and don't have advice on how to secure it but the one thing that jumps out at me is your spare will only be either front or rear size. Is that not a problem?
It's a full size wheel, should be fine in front or back.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 832 Likes on 394 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

What do you mean it is a full size wheel. Don't you have different size wheels on the front then those in the back? If your spare is sized for the front, and you have a flat on the rear, you will have an uneven set of wheels. Besides, the whole idea of run flats is so you can continue on at a safe speed to a place to get it repaired.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6speed
What do you mean it is a full size wheel. Don't you have different size wheels on the front then those in the back? If your spare is sized for the front, and you have a flat on the rear, you will have an uneven set of wheels. Besides, the whole idea of run flats is so you can continue on at a safe speed to a place to get it repaired.
He doesn't have run flats.

I was a little worried also, but a compressor, plug kit, and leatherman kit will get you out of 90% of flats. Then I would have the tire professionally repaired when I had the chance.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either his wheels are the same size all around, or he has never taken the time to read the manual, get to know the car and doesn't realize that there are different size tires for the front and the rear. Which is why you can't rotate the tires from front to rear and vise-a-versus.

Although the runflats are a good idea to save weight, most people don't realize that there are a number of cars (new and old) that are being sold now, without a spare AND no runflat tires.

No Solstice's or Sky's have spares, Lamborghini's some BMW's and others. So we run from cheap to ultra expensive.

Vettes=Everyone can now own one, but they are not for everyone to own.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
He doesn't have run flats.

I was a little worried also, but a compressor, plug kit, and leatherman kit will get you out of 90% of flats. Then I would have the tire professionally repaired when I had the chance.
When you ditch the run-flats, you still keep the the same size or proportioned tires.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I believe if you drive the c5 with lopsided tire diameters (a front tire in the back) you will confuse the hell out of the computers and cause all kinds of codes and possibly limited mph....not to mention safety and handling concerns at higher speeds.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon, I just drove mine 20 hours over the weekend with no spare and no worries.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
qipman
Racer

I am well aware that the wheels are bigger in the back.

I was previously under the impression that a rear-sized tire could be used in the front at slow speeds just to get to the closest service station, however from what is posted above looks like that’s not an option.

I have considered run-flats and might go in the direction at some point later. I have the compressor/plug kit, low profile scissor jack, etc.. but my concerns are as follows. I have had many flats in my other cars through the years, due to nails, glass, you name it, and it’s quite possible it could happen in my C5. If by chance the damage is too difficult to field repair, I would feel better having a real spare (considering a tow is the last thing I want due to the high possibility of damage during the tow). Based on the size issue mentioned above it seems that a spare is not really the best solution.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:35 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AmethystVette
C'mon, I just drove mine 20 hours over the weekend with no spare and no worries.

Unless the existing tires are old/worn out that should be the least of the worries.

Of course, if he now does have a flat, you and I will be in deep forum chit.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 PM
qipman
Racer

Originally Posted by BTAL

Unless the existing tires are old/worn out that should be the least of the worries.

Of course, if he now does have a flat, you and I will be in deep forum chit.
Haha
Old 04-28-2012, 07:29 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 761 Likes on 517 Posts

If anything, use a rear rim/tire for your spare. If you have a rear flat and use a smaller height tire driving over a period of time you can hurt your rear diff
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
98DC231
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by qipman
I am well aware that the wheels are bigger in the back.

I was previously under the impression that a rear-sized tire could be used in the front at slow speeds just to get to the closest service station, however from what is posted above looks like that’s not an option.

I have considered run-flats and might go in the direction at some point later. I have the compressor/plug kit, low profile scissor jack, etc.. but my concerns are as follows. I have had many flats in my other cars through the years, due to nails, glass, you name it, and it’s quite possible it could happen in my C5. If by chance the damage is too difficult to field repair, I would feel better having a real spare (considering a tow is the last thing I want due to the high possibility of damage during the tow). Based on the size issue mentioned above it seems that a spare is not really the best solution.

Thanks for your replies.
You could use a rear on the front to get you out of a jam, just turn the active handling off.

Personally I wouldn't bother with it, just take an inflator kit and an AAA membership.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 PM
DBLTRGR
Racer

There are a LOT of threads on this subject and none of them come to a definite conclusion due to the many different opinions. A lot of it has to do with where you plan on driving, like major highways where you are in constant wireless coverage and you can just call AAA or some other repair service. No problem, just carry a plug kit, Fix-A-Flat or a credit card and you're good to go. But, if you travel the back roads (Looking for that giant ball of tin foil?) and will be out of cell phone coverage, then you either need run-flats or a spare of some sort. For this, I carry a 2004-06 GTO spare in addition to the plug kit (I didn't like my run flats). If I can plug the tire or use the Fix-A-Flat then I'm okay, but if not then I have the spare. It's on a 17 inch wheel and, if I use it on the rear, I'll have to disable the traction control and DRIVE SLOW to the next town. I don't care about how it will handle at speed because there ain't goin' to be no speed! But I won't be stuck out in the toolies either... I'm leaving on a 5 day road trip this Tuesday and will be equipped like I've stated above. Oh yeah, bring something you can drive the flat on to, like a couple of 2x8s, so that you can get your low-profile jack under the car. You'll need this to change to the spare or to plug the tire. Be a Boy Scout and BE PREPARED.

P.S. The GTO spare needs to have the center hole enlarged just slightly (2MM) to allow it to fit over the Vettes hub. You can do this by hand with a rotary sander that fits on a drill.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 PM
qipman
Racer

Originally Posted by DBLTRGR
There are a LOT of threads on this subject and none of them come to a definite conclusion due to the many different opinions. A lot of it has to do with where you plan on driving, like major highways where you are in constant wireless coverage and you can just call AAA or some other repair service. No problem, just carry a plug kit, Fix-A-Flat or a credit card and you're good to go. But, if you travel the back roads (Looking for that giant ball of tin foil?) and will be out of cell phone coverage, then you either need run-flats or a spare of some sort. For this, I carry a 2004-06 GTO spare in addition to the plug kit (I didn't like my run flats). If I can plug the tire or use the Fix-A-Flat then I'm okay, but if not then I have the spare. It's on a 17 inch wheel and, if I use it on the rear, I'll have to disable the traction control and DRIVE SLOW to the next town. I don't care about how it will handle at speed because there ain't goin' to be no speed! But I won't be stuck out in the toolies either... I'm leaving on a 5 day road trip this Tuesday and will be equipped like I've stated above. Oh yeah, bring something you can drive the flat on to, like a couple of 2x8s, so that you can get your low-profile jack under the car. You'll need this to change to the spare or to plug the tire. Be a Boy Scout and BE PREPARED.

P.S. The GTO spare needs to have the center hole enlarged just slightly (2MM) to allow it to fit over the Vettes hub. You can do this by hand with a rotary sander that fits on a drill.

Thanks much for sharing this information. On my trip I will be going through spotty cell coverage areas and long stretches between towns, so AAA is not going to always be an option. My scissors jack will fit under the car without any issues so that is all good, and its packed in a duffle bag and is in my storage compartment.
The main question is, how did you secure your spare (if your vette is a coupe)?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Gipman, I'm doing the same thing as you very soon (in about 4 weeks). Taking a trip to visit my two Okie sons that are now both located in Detroit. So OKC to Detroit (and back) in the Vette got me to thinking about flats. I have the scissor jack like you, my jacking pucks, etc loaded in the car. I have non run-flats as well (Nitto 555s) and simply purchased a good tire inflator and a tire repair kit. I also have roadside assistance in my insurance so while "things" could happen, a spare tire sure does take up a lot of room. As far as having a flat... well, they do happen but they're few and far between. Could just as easily happen locally as well as on a trip. I'm really not sure why you would need a tie down however. Are you planning on a really sudden stop? I wouldn't think the tire would move unless you were in an accident.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire hold down for full size spare

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Gipman, I'm doing the same thing as you very soon (in about 4 weeks). Taking a trip to visit my two Okie sons that are now both located in Detroit. So OKC to Detroit (and back) in the Vette got me to thinking about flats. I have the scissor jack like you, my jacking pucks, etc loaded in the car. I have non run-flats as well (Nitto 555s) and simply purchased a good tire inflator and a tire repair kit. I also have roadside assistance in my insurance so while "things" could happen, a spare tire sure does take up a lot of room. As far as having a flat... well, they do happen but they're few and far between. Could just as easily happen locally as well as on a trip. I'm really not sure why you would need a tie down however. Are you planning on a really sudden stop? I wouldn't think the tire would move unless you were in an accident.
and the last thing you'd want would be a 30lb tire/wheel become a projectile coming your way in the drivers seat. if its back there, it definitively needs to be secured somehow.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

Here is some interesting information for you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...e-for-z06.html
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You say the jack fits under the car fine, but have you tried it with a flat tire? The car will sit lower.

Quick Reply: Tire hold down for full size spare