Sponsored by:

Curious about the C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Jetranger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about the C5

I have never owned a Chevy, or any american car for that matter. I was interested in a C5, and began asking my friend about his. I've always liked the looks of them, but after the issues with C4's, I've been hesitant.

Anyway, after asking about my buddies, and driving it for a few hours, I noticed-

His headlights would pop up and stay on after the car was started (even in broad daylight)

The windshield wipers didn't 'seat' right after they were used. Instead, they would jump around on the bottom of the windwhield like they didn't know where they were suppose to be.

The windows rattled when rolled all the way down.

The oil pressure gauge was all the way at the top.

There were warning lights for 'Service column lock', 'Tire pressure' (on all 4 tires, it reported around 48psi, even though they were all around 35)

The radio is terrible (factory Bose).

It popped out of gear if you don't firmly push it in as the clutch is let out.

The power antenna doesn't work.

These are just the things I noticed in the short time I had it. My question is, are all C5's this problematic? This is in a dry climate, and he gets it regularly serviced. He says he has bypassed the column lock, and put about $1500 into the traction control computer.

I understand all vehicles have their issues, but I have NEVER driven one with this many issues with under 100k miles (88k).

After some research, I have found a lot of the things I listed as 'common'. Are there really this many common problems with the car?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont have any of those problems. I have had the car for almost two years and have only had an issue with the clutch master cylinder. I replaced it and have not had any problems since. Mine is a 2002 with 27k on it.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,068 Likes on 2,041 Posts

I have been driving Corvettes since 1978 and between my wife and I we have had 12. I have never experienced any unusual or major problems with any of the C3 or C4 Corvettes. I also have not had any of the problems that you mention with any of my C5's except column lock on my 98 Convertible (battery was an Optima Red Top), bad wire in the column stalk on my '98 Vert and a headlight module on my wifes '00 Convertible went bad. Other than those 3 problems the have been exremely reliable. My current '99 has been flawless for the past 6 years and 2 months. TPM sensors have a life span of 7-10years and that is true for all cars with TPM's, the batteries have a limited life. The Bose system is fine for me. It sounds like your friend neglects and beats the crap out of his C5.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Well list the problems with the C4 you mentioned. Until then you appear to be a troll. If your not good for you. Buy one and find out for yourself.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I have none of the issues listed, Sounds like your friend has a hunk.... Sure a 12 year old car will need some tending to as all cars, Your friend needs to get off his butt and fix his.

I did have the oil pressure issue, Installed a new sender and all is well.

Last edited by Mr.Bill; 04-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like his car has a few issues.... It is all about how you maintain a vehicle. I have run into the steering column lock issue, however none of the other issues. My car is a '98 with just under 50K and runs like a dream! The factory BOSE in the car sounds great to me. Just don't max out the Treble and Bass all the way and it should sound sharp!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a 100k mile 98, and other than regular maintance issues it's a dream car! If you think buying a car 8-15 years old and they remain problem free, move on to the new car dealership and find something else. If you really like the C5 shop around for the one you like without problems.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1997 without any of thoise issues except the oil pressue sensor failed and that will peg the gauge. That was a 40 dollar part and 3 hours to fix myself.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Was it flooded or something? Lots of random electrical issues it sounds like. The windshield wipers and headlights especially. On my C5, the headlights don't even have an auto setting, it has to be turned on manually. Something isn't right there.

A lot of the other stuff sounds like wear items. Tranny synchros are probably going if you have to hold it in 1st for it to stay there. That can be an abuse item. The tire sensors are only good for so long, sounds like he wasn't gotten new ones. Newest model year C5 is almost 10 years old now, these things don't last forever.

But yes, the factory Bose is terrible. Even my Camaro that cost 1/3 less than the C5, has a way better stereo.

Fact is, it's a sports car that's quite cheap given the performance levels attained. Over the course of 10-15 years you have to keep up on maintenance or it's going to become a basket case. Try looking at 10-15 year old competitors like a Porsche and see how it's held up. Then look at the maintenance/repair costs for them too. Eye-opener for sure. In comparison, most of the things you mentioned are relatively cheap and easy fixes.

Dope

Last edited by Dope; 04-16-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 PM
needdlex
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I have a 100k mile 98, and other than regular maintance issues it's a dream car! If you think buying a car 8-15 years old and they remain problem free, move on to the new car dealership and find something else. If you really like the C5 shop around for the one you like without problems.
Same here, I'm at 100k on my 98 and the only thing I have wrong with mine is that the headlight motors were rebuilt by the last owner, and they don't always come up. I will fix it, just not right now.

I have also had the oil pressure sensor go out like Bill said earlier. It's a $50 or less part and time to swap them out.

If you like the C5, there is no substitute... Look around for a C5 that is in good shape, you should be able to find a cherry car for pretty cheap.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Sounds like a poorly maintained vehicle to me.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I have none of the issues listed, Sounds like your friend has a hunk.... Sure a 12 year old car will need some tending to as all cars, Your friend needs to get off his butt and fix his.

I did have the oil pressure issue, Installed a new sender and all is well.
Couldn't more.........
Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM
theheartbeat
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like ur buddy beats the **** out of his car... I mean I can have a 300k Lamborghini and if I don't care to keep things maintained than it will become a pos
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,438 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The only one off that list that I would say is somewhat common is the oil pressure sensor. The others, not so common. I've have 3 C5s and never had any of those problems.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

it sounds like your friend neglects and beats the crap out of his C5.
the column lock is very common. other than that, it sounds like you had the experience of driving a very poorly cared for Corvette. the oil pressure sensor can be problematic, but I have an 04 center 6 speed convertible and haven't. experienced any of those problems. any abused vehicle will exhibit signs that make it appear that it suffers from common problems. if you asked the forum for reliability experiences, I'm sure you would have different opinion of the c5
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetranger
I have never owned a Chevy, or any american car for that matter. I was interested in a C5, and began asking my friend about his. I've always liked the looks of them, but after the issues with C4's, I've been hesitant.

Anyway, after asking about my buddies, and driving it for a few hours, I noticed-

His headlights would pop up and stay on after the car was started (even in broad daylight)
That's a new one to me

The windshield wipers didn't 'seat' right after they were used. Instead, they would jump around on the bottom of the windwhield like they didn't know where they were suppose to be.
That's a new one to me

The windows rattled when rolled all the way down.
I've never experienced it, but there is a fix for it on this forum

The oil pressure gauge was all the way at the top.
I've never experienced it, but it is a fairly common issue

There were warning lights for 'Service column lock', 'Tire pressure' (on all 4 tires, it reported around 48psi, even though they were all around 35)
The column lock problem I've experienced first hand. I had to replace a relay and install a bypass module. Total cost to fix : $75 As far as the tire pressure reading being off - That's a new one to me

The radio is terrible (factory Bose).
I like the way my factory Bose sounds. I actually go sit in it on occasion, just to listen to music.

It popped out of gear if you don't firmly push it in as the clutch is let out.
That's a new one to me but I've heard of it happening on other cars so I suppose it's possible for it to happen to a Vette.

The power antenna doesn't work.
That's a new one to me. I know for $15 you can buy a replacement power antenna mast online. As long as the motor is good, that should cover it.

These are just the things I noticed in the short time I had it. My question is, are all C5's this problematic? This is in a dry climate, and he gets it regularly serviced. He says he has bypassed the column lock, and put about $1500 into the traction control computer.

I understand all vehicles have their issues, but I have NEVER driven one with this many issues with under 100k miles (88k).

After some research, I have found a lot of the things I listed as 'common'. Are there really this many common problems with the car?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

All of the problems you've mentioned are easily fixed. It's unusual to have so many on all one vehicle. Sounds like your friend treats his car like a piece of crap and doesn't care about maintaining it. My '03 Z06 has a 100k miles on it and needs none of those repairs, and it still looks brand new!

Get notified of new replies

To Curious about the C5

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've only had my '98 for a few months but have not had any of the problems you've encountered. Although I do plan on upgrading the Bose, it's tolerable right now and the gf thinks it sounds great! If you continue to poke around the forum, you'll find LOTS of owners who have nothing but positive to say about their C5's. They are a great running and long lasting car. With anything, normal regular maintenance will keep it running strong. Hope to see you posting pictures of your new C5 soon!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Big Phil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A C5 will give you less trouble.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I would NOT drive a car that did all that........hence I drive a 2003 Corvette !!

Quick Reply: Curious about the C5