Sponsored by:

What high performance exhaust do you run

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

I installed a SLP Blackwing CAI, ARH headers w/ high flow cats and B&B PRT catback system. Had the car dyno'd @ 356 rwhp.

After about a year I did a head & cam package. Ran it back across the dyno @ 435 rwhp.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garrell.770
Lots of info to evaluate. I don't want a bad drone but loud I don't mind. Any estimates on the hp I would gain with stock exhaust manifolds with a h-pipe and an over axle with say the Corsa extremes or equal. I already have in the shop a Volant with duel cone cleaners cai and I would still port the throttle body, thats pretty cheap hp, and do the tuneup. I don't know how prices on this type of work is in different parts of the country but good long tube headers installed will probably cost $1200.00 versus around $850.00 for the Halltech intake installed. The intake claims 33 hp and the headers would be what 15? Still listening plus it is interesting to find out what everyone uses and does to produce power.
Part two of the thread: Do you use the horsepower, track events, dragracing, road racing, autocross or any other?
I personally dont see an air intake giving you 30+ hp, headers maybe but I just dont see it very likely. Also I wouldnt think it should cost more than 800 to install headers. I personally would ask for 300 if I had to do it again for someone. I figure I could do it in 8 hours by myself so Im sure a shop could do it in 6 or less.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Lots of info to evaluate. I don't want a bad drone but loud I don't mind...
Running here with Kooks Long tube headers, high flow cats, midpipes and Corsa Pace car exhaust. Probably picked up 30 HP at least with this setup. When you say you "...don't want a bad drone", this is the way to go for low noise at cruise and decent hp return on the investment. The choice of long tubes are not as important as the muffler when it comes to the drone.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:57 AM
garrell.770
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exhaust system

Read the post again I probably didn't place punctuation properly and the wording may have confused you. The 33 hp is from an ad on the web site for the Halltech intake which is priced at $695.00. I am not familiar with this product. I can get long tube headers installed for $1295.00 at the shop that has done the work, tuneup and dyno work on my landspeed race truck. A tuneup is $500.00 if you have other work done and a cam change, one of their own grinds or your own choice is $2595.00 including rocker arm, vakve springs and pushrods.
Someone questioned if I wanted a ZO6 or 425 flywheel horsepower, I will drag race my car some at a 1/8 mile track and I will be satisfied with the 425 hp, I was debating on whether to trade a car that I knew had never been damaged or thrashed to death or trade it. If I traded I would be looking at a 02 to 04 and it would not make any since to trade unless for a Z06. One reason my car does not have but 20,000 mile on it was that it pretty much sat from 2005 until last fall because during that time I had a massive pulmonary embolism which I wasn't suppose to survive, then I was hospitalized for three weeks with a life threatening bout of sepsus. Then almost three years ago I had a very severe heart attack followed by three strokes within a month. I was blind, could not walk or even sit up and I had 100% memory loss. I was not suppossed to ever get any better, I was in a wheelchair until a year ago Christmas and used a walker until last July and because I was landspeed racing I practised on my balance until I could use a walking stick which I will always have to use because of Parkinson's desease and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I have a lot of enjoyment from the forum and these threads but someone takes it a little to seriously and insuniated that I didn't know what I was doing and I have had to relearn lots of things. I have been dragracing for thirtyfive plus years and lots of the cars were what are knoe vintage Corvettes. I drove a car for a Dodge/Plymouth dealership.
When I got where I could get around I really wanted to get back into competitive motorsports and I had read in Hotrod Magazine and saw on their tv show about landspeed racing on the Maxton Mile in NC. I first ean there last sept. with my SS Silverado truck and after five runs I was very close to breaking a one mile landspeed record in my class. I was hooked, I had more work within the limits of running in production pickup done and went back in Oct. and was fortunate enough to break and set a record. I have been preparing physically and making more modifications to my truck and I leave in eleven days for Wilmington, Ohio to run the first ever Ohio Mile that will be covered by Hotrod Magazine and TV. I really hope it does not rain and there is not a strong headwind on the 28th and 29th. With the pain I have in my legs I doubt that I will ever be able to make such a trip again. That is why I am going to start working on I think maybe my fifteenth Corvette with six new Z28'S and about thirty 427, 409, GTO'S etc. mixed in between.
It would be next to impossible to break an NHRA record and no telling how much it cost and not counting the cost of the truck I have probably spent $7,000.00 landspeed racing to date and I will have the trip cost for Ohio where I hope to set at least one and maybe two records, but I am driving, caring for myself and having a hell of a lot of fun. If you make it to the end of this post I apologize for going so long but I get somewhat inflamed when someone questions whether I know what I am doing.

Garrell
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 AM
garrell.770
Racer

Default What exhaust

I should have proofed that last post before I submitted it but I was pecking away as fast as I could go. To clear up one more thing the number I used $1295.00 to install long tube headers includes the headers, gaskets, bolts etc. It is not just the labor.

Garrell
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 AM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, American Racing Off Road X pipe, Corsa Xtreme Mufflers.. Perfect IMO, its loud as HELL at WOT but on the Highway its super quiet, No Drone!!!

Also ARH's are the easiest headers I've ever installed on any vehicle. Worth the extra money for fitment!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

TSP's into Z06 ti mufflers/

Dropped right in and sound great.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help with the header question, but you should consider the Callaway Honker intake. I think the Honker and the Z06 titanium exhaust are the best engineered products available for the C5.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jornahow
Can't help with the header question, but you should consider the Callaway Honker intake. I think the Honker and the Z06 titanium exhaust are the best engineered products available for the C5.
The Honker cold air intake has worked great on my car ...; a set of ZO6 mufflers is on my wish list.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
garrell.770
Racer

Default What performance exhaustW

What is the cost of the Honker intake and do you know how much hp it produces? Thanks for the post and the info. Right now I am leaning to long tube headers maybe American Racing equipment and a Corsa h-pipe and low restriction cats then maybe the Corsa extreme mufflers, this is kind of like a kid making their Christmas list.

Garrell
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Sargevette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AFE intake and Magnaflow catback on my C5. Intake and exhaust is not going to get you to 415. It's a great start but without cam and head work the only other way I know is FI.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark-44
The Honker cold air intake has worked great on my car ...; a set of ZO6 mufflers is on my wish list.
What is the cost of the Honker intake and do you know how much hp it produces? Thanks for the post and the info. Right now I am leaning to long tube headers maybe American Racing equipment and a Corsa h-pipe and low restriction cats then maybe the Corsa extreme mufflers, this is kind of like a kid making their Christmas list.

Garrell
I think you are right on with your exhaust choices.

The Honker is a real cold air intake that is certified 50 states smog legal and cost me about $500. it is very stock appearing and has a large filter area.

The Vararam is touted by many owners as the best for drag racing and it uses the C5 fog light area as duel intake ports.

They both add horsepower gains by the ram-air affect; but the gains don't show up on the stationary dyno. After tuning, my car comes up with 325 horse power at the wheels.

I checked my time slips before and after the Callaway install and the new intake was good with a .187 second loss in the quarter mile.

Last edited by Mark-44; 04-16-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 639 Likes on 494 Posts

I have a Blackwing, Corsa X-pipe, and Borla stingers on my FRC.

I have a Vararam, Fast intake, LG Pro longtubes with catless X-pipe, B&B Route 66, and a tune on my hatchback.

I wish I knew how much power improvement these mods make. I'm sure they help, but I don't believe the ads. If you add up all the advertising claims you can make a really impressive power without opening the motor. It just doesn't work that way.

I do notice that the Borla exhaust is louder with more drone than the B&B even with headers.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Running a VaraRam B2, H/C, American Racing Headers, Corsa touring catback. Tuned and Mustang dyno'ed @ rwhp 420 rwtq 392.

She's a screamer.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Go Z06 and get the bypass mod done...you'll never go back to anything less.

I personally have 02 Z06 with AR LT headers, x pipe/cat delete and BB bullets. My car sounds...absolutely ridiculous. The attention factor (not that I really wanted it) went WAY up and people always just say "man, that thing sounds terrifying". I frequently go to ALMS races, and my car would fit right in out there by the sound. Totally awesome for sure, but may be too much for those not used to some noise.

Last edited by RC000E; 04-16-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Exhaust choices

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I have a stock exhaust back to the catbacks. For catbacks, I run the Corsa Indy Pace Car. I also run a Blackwing for an air intake.
My car is a 2003 and all I did was to put a 2003 ZO6 air-box, a K&N filter and I went with the Corsa 'Pace Car' cat back system. I like it while it's a tad loud at start-up but when I go on a long drive I really like the fact that it doesn't drone. I don't know. I like what I've got.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM
GreenDream
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

I believe it's a B&B Tri-flow exhaust, though I'm not certain. I do know that there's American Racing Headers and hi-flow cats in there too. With all of that she puts down 706rwhp and 627rwtq.

Thinking of swapping the B&B's out for the C5z Ti exhaust with the bypass mod, and ditch the cats.
These are what I have. B&B Route 66.
GreenDream

Get notified of new replies

To What high performance exhaust do you run

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
garrell.770
Racer

Default What performance exhaust

B&B longtube headers are on my shortlist then maybe Magnaflow or Corsa cat back and x-pipe and over the axle mufflers.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ARH 1 7/8" long-tubes, x-pipe and OEM Z06 Ti catback.

I think it dyno'd with a tune and a Vararam at around 386-390 rwhp...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What high performance exhaust system do you run, is it a complete package, headers, h-pipe ever the axle and mufflers or is it components like a h-pipe and mufflers. What brand if any cold air kit do you also run and did you have a custom tuneup and have it dynoed, if so how much hp did the different parts make?
I have selfish reasons for wanting to know. I have a 20,000 mile always garaged black C5, never hit, automatic with a 3:15 rear gear. I would like to bring it up to around 415 flywheel hp and make suspension improvements or trade up to a low mile 03 or under Z06?

Garrell Patterson
415? maybe but not likely without a cam

Best Real HP of a stock motor with many bolt ons is about 380-385 RWHP with an MN6 or MN12

Quick Reply: What high performance exhaust do you run