Sponsored by:

Center Console Project Before/After

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM
needdlex
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Center Console Project Before/After

First off... yes, I need to clean the inside of the car, it's dusty and needs the carpets cleaned. I plan on doing that this afternoon.

Before - you can see by the shifter where the paint was coming off from being rubbed so much over the years.

After - shines so bright, it was hard to get a good picture.

The last picture needs something else. I'm thinking either a Corvette emblem on the ash tray flip lid or a Jake Skull on the cup holder lid.

I'm leaning towards a touched up Jake Skull since corvette's have emblems everywhere. I think it will add a little bit of Chevrolet pride to my car, with just the one small skull.

Thoughts? Skull or Emblem - Color(s)? As you can see I have an arctic white car with firethorn/black interior.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nice project but I've never been a fan of the skull emblem but that's just me.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
needdlex
Racer

I'm leaning towards the flags, but I definitely cannot make up my mind on color(s).
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

why not think outside the box? I would not limit myself to just those two choices. What are your hobbies, interests? There are all kinds of decals, logos, symbols all over the web. I have lots of music related badges to reflect my guitar playing career. I've seen the Ace of Spades for a poker player's car. With that white background most anything will look great!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Nice improvement. I don't see that many Firethorn interiors.

Did you consider painting the consoles Firethorn Red vs. White? I wonder how well that would have turned out? Although I like white, the black headunits and other trim components jump out as a result.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Doesn't mesh with anything looks like a teenager with a honda got ahold of it. I like the idea but the color sticks out like knife in someones back.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The console looks good but I don't get the White w/blk and red. Carbon fiber or leather/vinyl wrap or even matched firethorn red gloss or matte would have looked better. Please don't take offense to my opinion as it's only an opinion, but if you like it then thats all that matters.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Looks sweeeeeeet
Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
AmethystVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
The console looks good but I don't get the White w/blk and red. Carbon fiber or leather/vinyl wrap or even matched firethorn red gloss or matte would have looked better. Please don't take offense to my opinion as it's only an opinion, but if you like it then thats all that matters.
with this...
Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

Sorry to say, but I absolutely hate it. As others have said, it looks like a teenager with a Honda did it.

At first I thought you were test-fitting a new custom fiberglass console and just hadn't put the black finish on it. The I realized that was actually the finished product. Yuck.

It matches nothing else on the car, sticks out like a sore thumb and is just obnoxious.

Next time go for orange with glitter, and add a zig-zag of LED lights!!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM
needdlex
Racer

I'm not finished with it yet. The only reason I did white was because I had to get my door and back panel repaired and the body shop was going to have the paint already mixed.

I plan on doing a lot more work to the interior so it's not red carpet, black dash and a random white piece in the middle. I started there because that is where there was actual paint missing.

I won't take offense to people that don't like it, there are a lot of things on other cars that I don't like.

I'm not 100% sold on the white yet, but if I don't like it in a few months, I'll sand it all off and probably go with something else.

Like I said earlier, the only reason I did white was because it's what I had available at the time. I wanted something to incorporate the outside color inside.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM
machfive98
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the white, makes for an awesome contrast (but I'm the guy that likes side stripes on vettes). Can't wait to see the finished product. Maybe white door and grab handles and different color carpet. keep up the good work and send pictures when you get more done!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all, I would love to be a teenager with a Honda. So much for daydreaming. I would go with a Corvette or GM emblem.

Of the eight Corvettes I've owned, four of them have been white. I think the firethorn interior is unique enough I would go back with that plus a few slight adjustments. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

Good luck with your project.

OBD
Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,390 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Looks like a great job painting the console base and bezel. Nothing wrong with being different on the color choice. If it were mine, I'd go with a a C5 logo or something similar on the ash tray door.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:39 PM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have the same car. Firethorn Red w/ Black interior and Arcitic White exterior. I've been struggling with what direction to go in the interior as well. The firethorn interior while being different already is really hard to accessorize. Honestly I would probably go with a leather wrap console with either a close to matching firethorn red or white stitching. I know its no where near as different as you are probably going for honestly I think its the only real option we have without tearing out the firethorn color.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Luv2Run
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by needdlex
I'm not finished with it yet. The only reason I did white was because I had to get my door and back panel repaired and the body shop was going to have the paint already mixed.

I plan on doing a lot more work to the interior so it's not red carpet, black dash and a random white piece in the middle. I started there because that is where there was actual paint missing.

I won't take offense to people that don't like it, there are a lot of things on other cars that I don't like.

I'm not 100% sold on the white yet, but if I don't like it in a few months, I'll sand it all off and probably go with something else.

Like I said earlier, the only reason I did white was because it's what I had available at the time. I wanted something to incorporate the outside color inside.
Very nice paint job, good practice for a color that works with the future interior.

Don
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Doesn't mesh with anything looks like a teenager with a honda got ahold of it.
This.

Originally Posted by TraceZ
Sorry to say, but I absolutely hate it. As others have said, it looks like a teenager with a Honda did it.
This.

It matches nothing else on the car, sticks out like a sore thumb and is just obnoxious.
This.

Keep your Vettes clean and classy, folks.

Get notified of new replies

To Center Console Project Before/After

Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
needdlex
Racer

Originally Posted by chevbowtie22
I actually have the same car. Firethorn Red w/ Black interior and Arcitic White exterior. I've been struggling with what direction to go in the interior as well. The firethorn interior while being different already is really hard to accessorize. Honestly I would probably go with a leather wrap console with either a close to matching firethorn red or white stitching. I know its no where near as different as you are probably going for honestly I think its the only real option we have without tearing out the firethorn color.
I agree, the dark red is hard to do much with. This didn't cost me anything aside from physical labor and a lot of sanding.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 797 Likes on 448 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Back when I bought my 97 in 2004, it was Arctic white with Firethorn red.
I hated the Firethorn. I collected all the replacement parts from Ebay over a four month period and about $1000.00 later, I had a black interior: carpet, seat covers, bolsters, door panels......All black.

After that , I modded my console to a double din myself ( No Dennis at the time ) and painted the piece gloss black. It was
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 AM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Is the white a primer?

Quick Reply: Center Console Project Before/After