Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Baer 2-piece rotors, Hawk pads and SS brake lines installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Default New Baer 2-piece rotors, Hawk pads and SS brake lines installed

Finally got my new Baer 2-piece drilled and slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads and stainless steel brake lines installed yesterday. The rears are 2" bigger but still fit my stock wheels. Love the look and performance! The black anodized centers are really sharp looking, and shouldn't rust like the stockers did. I haven't really mashed on the new brakes yet, but the pedal is nice and firm and definitely better than the stock feel. Very happy!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Make sure you follow the BAER rotor seasoning process. The new pads get bedded at the same time. From that image it looks like that rotor is doing what my LF rotor initially did. It's not clamping on the caliper completely.

I fixed the issue on mine with another R&R of that caliper and a more thorough cleaning and lubing of the friction points.

The BAER rotors/HAWK pads are a great combination. They look great and stop so much better than oem.
I'm seasoning the rotors right now, and will start the bedding process in about 150 miles or so...

Not sure what you mean by "It's not clamping on the caliper completely?" Could you explain?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

BAER told me the bedding of the new pads will occur during the seasoning of the rotors. It doesn't have to be a separate process. It's up to you. Just follow the BAER recommended procedure for seasoning at various speeds and allow for over night cooling. The heat cycling is critical.

Also, contrary to what I've read here, BAER suggests torquing the wheels to the oem 100#. Some say to use less to avoid warping. BAER said if the torquing is done correctly, 100# is perfectly fine.

From the looks of that one image it appears your pads are not producing an even "fire path", ie pads to rotor contact. The inner most ring of contact is a little lighter than the outer edges. If you're just starting the seasoning, it may even out. Just watch it.

My LF was still not wearing evenly after the 300 miles seasoning. I removed that caliper and re-cleaned and re-lubed all friction points again. Especially the sliding pins. It wears evenly now. Only the inner most holes of the rear rotors will not show wear as they're just out of the pad to rotor contact area.
Got it. I see what you're saying now. The brakes only have about 30 miles on them, so I'll keep an eye out on the fire path. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Do you think they stop any shorter?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Not sure yet. I've only put on about 25 miles since getting them installed, and only a few very light brakes at intersections/stop signs. I'll know more after I do the burn in process. All I can say is that the pedal feel with the new pads and SS lines is more "stout" than it was before.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:19 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
They probably won't. Your tires are what really stops the car. The new rotors and pads should resist fading much better, though. The braided hoses will give the pedal a firmer feel. The new set-up definitely looks great!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
They probably won't. Your tires are what really stops the car. The new rotors and pads should resist fading much better, though. The braided hoses will give the pedal a firmer feel. The new set-up definitely looks great!
I'm not so sure. According to a Corvette Fever article, the Eradispeeds helped stopped a C5 10 feet shorter 60-0mph vs. the stock rotors.

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/1...s/viewall.html

I'll know more once I've padded the beds. So far, so good though!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

I would like to see that actual test. Based on the article, it seems they got just their info from the vehicle owner. LOL

Here is a good read:

http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-par...ar-stop-faster
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I would like to see that actual test. Based on the article, it seems they got just their info from the vehicle owner. LOL

Here is a good read:

http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-par...ar-stop-faster
Agreed. It's one of those "take-it-for-what-it's-worth" articles. It could be a real improvement, or it could be in his head. Either way, the Eradispeeds definitely "improve" on the stock brake system in some aspects. Looks for sure, and weight as well. Beyond that, I'm not sure, but I'm happy with the upgrade.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Don't allow naysayers to make you start second guessing your choices for your car.
Surely you weren't referring to me. I agreed that his choices will help resist fade, and that they look very nice. Savvy? I also run slotted rotors, braided hoses, and Hawk pads on my own car.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the exact same setup on my Car! Good Choice! Looks good and a great improvement over stock!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Would you mind PM ing me the total cost shipped?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

A word of caution...

I installed the identical combo and it braked normally (not much of a difference) but it once gave me a major scare after about 100 miles of driving.

I was doing the bedding process over a couple days... well, I started driving on the 3rd day just driving normal and out of nowhere after maybe 10 minutes of normal driving I pressed on the brakes for a stop light and the brakes barely worked!

I was standing on the brakes almost at one point and just barely stopped in time from entering the intersection.

After another day or so they were great, but that one time out of nowhere with cool brakes it's like the coating on the discs (or whatever) gave me a real scare.

Just saying, give your brakes little checks ahead of time before you get to a place you need to stop and keep your emergency brake in mind just incase.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
A word of caution...

I installed the identical combo and it braked normally (not much of a difference) but it once gave me a major scare after about 100 miles of driving.

I was doing the bedding process over a couple days... well, I started driving on the 3rd day just driving normal and out of nowhere after maybe 10 minutes of normal driving I pressed on the brakes for a stop light and the brakes barely worked!

I was standing on the brakes almost at one point and just barely stopped in time from entering the intersection.

After another day or so they were great, but that one time out of nowhere with cool brakes it's like the coating on the discs (or whatever) gave me a real scare.

Just saying, give your brakes little checks ahead of time before you get to a place you need to stop and keep your emergency brake in mind just incase.
I've always tried to "warm up" my brakes just like I warm up the engine oil to 150 degrees before I really push the car. I live in a suburb so I have lots of stop signs and intersections to give the brakes a chance to warm up before I hit the highway, but definitely good advice! I haven't even put on 30 miles with the new brakes yet, and will be doing the seasoning/bedding process this weekend out in the country where I'll have miles of road to stop.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I did the same but with the cheaper rotors. The pedal feels much more firm and the engagement point is easier to find. I had 50k on my 03 so it was time for a refresh.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 PM
c6 CHEVY
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you search around for the best price. Interested in the same set. Thanks,Jeff
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 CHEVY
Did you search around for the best price. Interested in the same set. Thanks,Jeff

I just bought a set of Baer Eradispeed for $883.50 delivered.

PM me for info.

Last edited by RaW Z06; 04-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Baer 2-piece rotors, Hawk pads and SS brake lines installed

Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by c6 CHEVY
At the time of my purchase, West Coast Corvettes was running a special and they had the best deal for the entire package (stainless steel hoses, hawk hps pads, motul fluid, front and rear plus rotors). Even when I priced things out separately from various vendors, WCC had the best price overall. Was very happy with their service and product!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

I've finally finished seasoning the rotors and bedding the pads. As others have mentioned, it's REALLY important to follow Baer's break-in procedures to the letter. Some think it's overkill, but after doing it and seeing the results, I can vouch that they are necessary. After I first got everything installed and got home, I could see the fire path start to take hold on the rotors. The paths were ugly...my rear rotors had half the path missing (only about half the pads were making contact), and one of my front rotors had a 1/4" strip right in the middle of the fire path where the pad was not making contact at all. The 2-step seasoning process evened out the fire paths, wore down the zinc coating on the rotors and started the transfer of the pad material to the rotors. The paths still weren't perfect though. After the bedding process, where you perform a number of aggressive stops, the fire paths are now perfectly even and uniform on the fronts and the rears.

Very happy with how this setup performs. When I did my first aggressive stop (60-5mph at the point of wheel lock), I was taken by surprise how fast the car stopped! I never really had an oh-crap slam-the-brakes moment before, so when you intentionally do it, it was kind of shocking. The car stops on a dime. Wow.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM
ThunderZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
At the time of my purchase, West Coast Corvettes was running a special and they had the best deal for the entire package (stainless steel hoses, hawk hps pads, motul fluid, front and rear plus rotors). Even when I priced things out separately from various vendors, WCC had the best price overall. Was very happy with their service and product!
So how much did you pay for the package on special?

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Baer 2-piece rotors, Hawk pads and SS brake lines installed