Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone trade their C5 for a 5.0L mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettestrings
If you search "2011 mustang gt transmission problems" you'll find some info to read about it...but it sounds like that one has no problems.

and btw, Congratulations to you and your wife!
Thanks. First one and things are going to change. Scared and excited but we waited long enough and we are pretty financially stable now, which is what we were waiting for.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
I looked at all 3, the Challenger had a FAR superior interior and ride. The 20" wheels on it make it look HUGE.
Maybe I need to see one but I would need an SRT8 to be on par with Mustang and. Camaro HP right? I love the Challenger look. Especially the new 392 Blue on Blue. But something like that also prohibits my C7 purchase.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
Dang that 2013 Mustang looks nice! I didn't know they upgraded the tails and headlights.

One C5 is enough. I would try the Mustang out.
Thanks for the input. That is what I was thinking too. At least it is something different. And Stangs sound amazing with exhaust work.

The other thing that concerns me is the fact that the revisions to the 2013 may depreciate the 2011 faster and it IS a FIRST year run for the drivetrain.

I guess at the end of the day the thing holding me up is a Mustang is only slightly more practical than a Corvette but when the kids get old enogh to face forward it may enable me to keep a muscle car and be able to move the kids around.

My wife again wonders if I would even want the same car by that point. Also a valid point.

Last edited by Z06Electron; 03-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I really like the new GT and Cobra Mustangs. Problem is, everyone to include Granny is driving a Mustang.

I don't have to be the fastest but I don't want to be mistaken for Granny either. But I see no problem with it. for the most part you will drive what's convenient to get that car seat in and out of from my experiences and what I see and hear people say.

I know some people who have went to a charger just so they have that back door. Much easier with kids.

back in my day we just threw them in the backseat and took off, well that was before the government started raising our kids. (But I agree not to use a carseat is stupid)

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 03-27-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Granny isn't driving a 5.0L and I see way more C5s and Camaroz running around than I do 5.0Ls.

Here is what the interior looks like. It is a premium so it has blue ambient lighting including the "Mustang" door sills that light up.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM
vettestrings
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
Here is what the interior looks like. It is a premium so it has blue ambient lighting including the "Mustang" door sills that light up.
I like the ambient lighting in 'em...& you can change it to different colors.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe I need to see one but I would need an SRT8 to be on par with Mustang and. Camaro HP right? I love the Challenger look. Especially the new 392 Blue on Blue. But something like that also prohibits my C7 purchase.
RT is 370ish HP, the SRT gets you up in the mid 400HP. For the difference in price you can easily add an Edelbrock supercharger and still have money left over with the RT over the SRT if you needed more go power.

Couldn't see dropping $50K (SRT pricing) on any Dodge (except a Viper maybe).
Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I had an 08 shelby gt500, an 08 saleen dan gurney model and an 07 saleen parnelli jones edition. I can tell you they were fun, even though it has a back seat, it is a major pain in the butt to have to deal with a car seat and getting kids in/out of there. Forget it.

The mustangs of that time (except the shelby) had transmission problems, my 08 saleen trans went out at 2500 miles (no abuse) and it took them 1 month to fix it. I thought the 07 trans was going out with the same problem and sold it.

The problem with these cars is there is no resale, as someone else said, everyone is driving them so forget about resale value if you go to sell it. you will get nowhere near book.

I sold all three mustangs and bought 3 corvettes, an 09 GT1 Z06, an 09 GT1 coupe and an 09 Convertible. They were/are much more fun, better technology, faster ect. I still have the vettes. While I might take a look at the 2014 shelby w/650 hp, I wont sell any of the vettes. The shelby is fun but, too heavy and too small of tires to get good traction like the vettes. They still have old style live rear axle rather than the independent rear suspension, the mustangs are a bit old in technology. Maybe the 14's will be better.

In my opinion sell the vert, pass on the 01 surburban and get a better family style vehicle, you're gonna need it. You still have the Z06 to play with.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you feel a "pony car" will serve your needs best, I would definitely go with the Mustang. My first car was a '50 Ford and I hadn't owned another one until I bought a used '07 Edge to save my Corvette from parking lots, freezing drizzle and snow. After one year of ownership I must admit that it has served me well and I'm glad I supported a U.S. manufacturer that wasn't government owned.

OBD
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I had an 08 shelby gt500, an 08 saleen dan gurney model and an 07 saleen parnelli jones edition. I can tell you they were fun, even though it has a back seat, it is a major pain in the butt to have to deal with a car seat and getting kids in/out of there. Forget it.

The mustangs of that time (except the shelby) had transmission problems, my 08 saleen trans went out at 2500 miles (no abuse) and it took them 1 month to fix it. I thought the 07 trans was going out with the same problem and sold it.

The problem with these cars is there is no resale, as someone else said, everyone is driving them so forget about resale value if you go to sell it. you will get nowhere near book.

I sold all three mustangs and bought 3 corvettes, an 09 GT1 Z06, an 09 GT1 coupe and an 09 Convertible. They were/are much more fun, better technology, faster ect. I still have the vettes. While I might take a look at the 2014 shelby w/650 hp, I wont sell any of the vettes. The shelby is fun but, too heavy and too small of tires to get good traction like the vettes. They still have old style live rear axle rather than the independent rear suspension, the mustangs are a bit old in technology. Maybe the 14's will be better.

In my opinion sell the vert, pass on the 01 surburban and get a better family style vehicle, you're gonna need it. You still have the Z06 to play with.
I tell you one thing about the Challenger, the prices for a 2-3 year old one is VERY close to a new one. I was amazed how little they seem to depreciate vs. Vettes (or Stangs).
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

No granny isn't driving a 5 but most people, myself included, see a Mustang. I would go with the Camaro myself or wait and see if they in fact are bringing back the Cuda.

Or buy a Mustang, you certainly don't need our permission.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here is a suggestion for your consideration. Take the wife's Elantra and trade it up to a Sonata 2.0 turbo. It's nice and roomy inside. Easy to move the car seat & kid in and out of the back and the trunk is huge. Take an SE for a drive and see what you think.

You absolutely will kick yourself for not having a 4 door car for the car seat and the baby. Been there done that ........... twice
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
I tell you one thing about the Challenger, the prices for a 2-3 year old one is VERY close to a new one. I was amazed how little they seem to depreciate vs. Vettes (or Stangs).
Agreed but even at $27,000 this is only $8000 less than new and that is a pretty good resale for a 2 year old car.

I did a check on pricing and there are only like 15 5.0Ls for sale within 100 miles of me. Corvettes are worth more right now too. Maybe just a market shortage?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you, I would go shop for a pre-owned Charger SRT8 (or 300 or Magnum if you prefer those bodies). They have Mustang GT-like performance, and have four doors. I think you will regret not having a true 4-door with a baby. I used to own a Charger SRT8, and they are great cars!

Another option would be to go for a new Charger SRT8 or Superbee. But those are going to be a good $10K more than the Mustang. I sold my pristine 23K miles SRT8 for $24K.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Mustang GT. They are great cars. I just would prefer a 4-door if I had a bundle of joy on the way.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
hammerdwn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Here is a suggestion for your consideration. Take the wife's Elantra and trade it up to a Sonata 2.0 turbo. It's nice and roomy inside. Easy to move the car seat & kid in and out of the back and the trunk is huge. Take an SE for a drive and see what you think.

You absolutely will kick yourself for not having a 4 door car for the car seat and the baby. Been there done that ........... twice
Don't kid yourself. With a Mustang it will get old unloading kids. A four door anything will be what you will want after six months. I applaud your efforts for staying away from a mini van Good luck and congrats to you and your wife.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody

I personally am not a fan of the Hyundai. We bought the Elantra because she puts 50,000 a year on it. The Sonata is just way more depreciation. Her Elantra has 25,000 already since August.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Grimlock
If I were you, I would go shop for a pre-owned Charger SRT8 (or 300 or Magnum if you prefer those bodies). They have Mustang GT-like performance, and have four doors. I think you will regret not having a true 4-door with a baby. I used to own a Charger SRT8, and they are great cars!

Another option would be to go for a new Charger SRT8 or Superbee. But those are going to be a good $10K more than the Mustang. I sold my pristine 23K miles SRT8 for $24K.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Mustang GT. They are great cars. I just would prefer a 4-door if I had a bundle of joy on the way.

I thought about a charger, but no manuals.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone trade their C5 for a 5.0L mustang?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hammerdwn
Don't kid yourself. With a Mustang it will get old unloading kids. A four door anything will be what you will want after six months. I applaud your efforts for staying away from a mini van Good luck and congrats to you and your wife.
Thanks. Yes the only thing like a minivan is a CTS-V wagon. That or a magnum will be the closest thing to a minivan I will drive.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

I thought about a charger, but no manuals.
I just shifted the autostick like a clutchless manual. I didn't mind it at all, and this is coming from a guy who had been driving sticks for 20+ years.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Thanks. Yes the only thing like a minivan is a CTS-V wagon. That or a magnum will be the closest thing to a minivan I will drive.
I think the '08 Magnum SRT8 looks better than the CTS-V. Obviously I would rather own the CTS-V though based on the performance. But a Magnum SRT8 is a VERY good used car value. And I am a huge fan of fast station wagons....especially ones with big obnoxious hood scoops!

Quick Reply: Anyone trade their C5 for a 5.0L mustang?