Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a C5 this week. What is the deal with the cops and Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:43 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by streamliner
I still have it. I was laughing as I was reading the multiple pages in the thread. You would think I'm a cop hater, I'm not. I have not been pulled over since I started the thread and I drive the car like it was meant to be driven!
Looks like you must've changed your Forum name and location also ..
Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Last year I made a U turn on a side street and I didn't see the oncoming cop coming up the street. Right in the middle of my turn, I did see him. I finished my turn and immediately pulled to the side of the road, rolled down my window. The cop rolled up next to me, lowered his passenger window and said "That's probably the stupidest thing you've done today. I replied "It sure was officer, and I do apologize for it. He said "Have a nice day". He rolled up his window and continued on down the road.

I thought "Damn! The cop was nice to me! Thank you!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Milamber
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04MSZ06
Some of us in this chosen profession choose to remain anonymous but threads like this get my attention. For me and my peers, policy is EVERYTHING. We do not stop vehicles for no reason. If your vehicle exhibits an obvious vehicle code violation, you're bound to get stopped...its a matter of time. Every officer has their own way of doing their job, but coming from a Vette owner, usually the folks driving Vette's aren't squeeling tires and asking for trouble. As for my department, your taxes do not pay my salary...your registration fees do. I will agree that there are a few "bad apples" out there that can have a seriously negative outlook on an entire department, but there are alot of us out there that do our jobs very effectively and without posing a negative outlook. Bottom line: Enjoy your car, drive with care...if you feel the need to drive fast, take it to the track, and if your Vette has some mechanical violations, so be it. You may or may not get a ticket. Being courteous and polite DEFINITELY helps if you get stopped.
This. I can't remember ever making a traffic stop on a Vette. It's all about what the vehicle is doing. If it's 70 in a 40, I don't care if it's a Vette or a Volkswagon. There's likely going to be a ticket forthcoming. If you're not doing anything wrong and I don't see a code violation, I guarantee I'm not pulling you over.

I don't make traffic stops based on the type of vehicle or what the occupant looks like. Just the violation. Being a Vette owner, though, I can say they always catch my attention and I don't mind following one for a few minutes to see if the owner has done anything cool to their car. (And mentally compare it to mine ). Usually, though, I don't have time to follow vehicles around for the fun of it. If I'm behind you, I'm probably on my way to do something else.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

They can smell your fear.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Former Police officer and I love all generations of Vettes. Never stopped one when i was on the job. I was always looking for felons or maybe a drunk, not normal guys in nice cars. I have been stopped in my TR maybe 5 times but I was speeding every time. Never got a ticket though.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,300 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've had Corvettes and such for 40 years and I don't have those kinds of problems. Really never did.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I didn't read this entire thread, but some of you people are in the clouds. Just because you never experienced it in BFE or in conservative america, doesn't mean this doesn't go on other places. The OP lives in Philadelphia...a corrupt scumhole of a city, who even while being in Pa, has their own extra liberal bs laws. The police there are typical of any northeastern scum city...they harass, they are above the law, they do what they want. Pittsburgh is filled with corrupt police...if they don't own it, then there is no way you should...bottom line.

We have police here that make 11.00/hr. They aren't pursuing this job for the money! They do it to be tough guys, jam people up, etc.

Just because life is good in Oklahoma, doesn't mean it isn't happening...wake up.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TwinTurboZ51
Former Police officer....I have been stopped in my TR maybe 5 times but I was speeding every time. Never got a ticket though.
Enough said...
Old 03-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLTRGR
Unfortunately, you can count on being profiled. It's been a fact of life ever since cars started coming off the assembly line in colors other than black. And a Corvette doesn't have to be going fast to get noticed; it looks like it's going fast anyway. It's also a fact that red and yellow cars are more apt to be targeted than the more sedate colors. I promote the use of radar dectectors, not to be able to speed, but to let me know when I'm liable to be "observed" and profiled. I learned all this the hard way as a teen with a nice yellow 55 chevy. I lived in Bellevue, WA and got one ticket after another for all sorts of violations, some of which I actually deserved and others just to harass me.

The car was sweet! Sold it and bought a VW...

[IMG][/IMG]
I've been a California LEO for over 24 years, and worked motorcycle traffic enforcement for over 11 of those years. I can only speak for myself, but in my opinion "vehicle profiling" is a myth. I can honestly say, that I wrote just as many tickets to pastel colored sub-compact cars as I did to loud colored muscle cars. Our 10 member motorcycle enforcement squad were writing approximately 15 to 20 citations per day, per officer. I myself was writing over 150 citations per week. I didn't have the time nor the interest to segregate speeding cars by color or make. If I observed a black Mini Cooper speeding, the driver got a ticket....it made no difference whatsoever to me. It was a general consensus among myself and my coworkers, that "a violator is a violator and a ticket is a ticket", no matter what model or color of the car. Tickets tend to cause drivers to slow down and obey the rules, which in turn decreases the number of serious and fatal accidents.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny where I am at cops don't even look at me really. Followed by a motorcycle cop for a couple miles once but only my issue. In my old camaro it was way worse.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

In California, a Corvette driving by doesn't offend the working class, because it's just another Corvette/Ferrari/etc. In working class, blue collar, mill hunky, liberal cities of the east, things don't work the same...bottom line.

I worked for a local PD and I will quote an officers words I worked with verbatum. He said, "If you aren't profiling, you aren't doing good police work."
Old 03-29-2014, 12:50 AM
SuperDave02
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

when I got my first vette (C-5). I pulled up next to a cop and asked him if he wanted to race. Got a laugh, and I left. I my my cars pretty hard, even in town and never got followed or pulled over. My current car is a JSB C6. So theres no hiding in that car.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM
streamliner
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
Looks like you must've changed your Forum name and location also ..
Apparently this senile old senior citizen tried to hijack this thread....for some reason I thought I had started it.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
In California, a Corvette driving by doesn't offend the working class, because it's just another Corvette/Ferrari/etc. In working class, blue collar, mill hunky, liberal cities of the east, things don't work the same...bottom line.

I worked for a local PD and I will quote an officers words I worked with verbatum. He said, "If you aren't profiling, you aren't doing good police work."
Man you must really hate the east have a bad experience? I live in michigan and im not democratic but there are plenty cops out here in the scumbag northeast that are very kind conservative and polite that use logic and reason lol

Ive been pulled over a few times and havent got a ticket since i was 16
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 PM
vet4me
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffguy610
hey guys,
i just bought a c5 this week, and i love it. One thing i've noticed the most is that cops are always following me, slowing down when i drive near them, and even parking behind my car when i am not driving it and running my plates. Do you guy shave similar problems with them? I don't want to be profiled all the time in this thing.
i used to run the plates just to see what year it was!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No problems here yet.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RC000E

I'll take the east over the People's Republik of Kalifornia any day. I say that having spent a number of years living there.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:55 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One

I'll take the east over the People's Republik of Kalifornia any day. I say that having spent a number of years living there.
Totally agree man

Quick Reply: Just bought a C5 this week. What is the deal with the cops and Corvettes?