Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Wife is not a happy 'Vette driver today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Wife is not a happy 'Vette driver today..

My Wife got up this morning and decided since it was going to be a beautiful "Spring" day, she would like to take our C5 down to work for the first time and show it off. She called me at noon and told me that it would not start. She would turn the key and the lights would go on and the security light would blink but it would not turn over. It took about 10 minutes and then the car started no problem. She called me again about a half hour ago when done work and the same issue again. This time about 15 minutes she said. As she was speaking to me, the car started. The previous owner installed the bypass for the security thing and I haven't had a problem with it in the couple weeks we've been driving it. The only thing I did was I sat in it with MY key and fob yesterday after a drive, and tried to learn some of the buttons. From what I recall, the only thing I changed was the alarm when locking to lights and horn, I don't think I changed anything else. When she gets home, I'll go out with my Fob and key and try and see if I have the same issue. Any ideas here folks? Of course.. this is MY FAULT!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Deviant LS6
Instructor

Sounds like the VATS bypass module isn't working anymore.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

You might try to clean the pill on her key.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
You might try to clean the pill on her key.

She got home and shut the car off then tried again. Same thing. The memory seat didn't even go to position. I got in and tried mine, no problem at all. We then tried her's again and it was fine. We will try the cleaning thing and see what we have...
Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Or your battery isn't up to par. When you go to start the car a lot of systems have to run software, get info from sensors and return information to the PCM,BCM like that. If your battery isn't putting out enough voltage in resting state, when you go to start it some of those systems may not check in in the correct order so they don't get the OK info back and they shut down. This is often why people experience AH/TC errors or Column Lock Bypass errors even though they have checked those systems out extensively and found no problem.

No guarantee that this is whats going on with you, but its very likely.

You cant go by the voltage reading you see on the DIC with the car running (because thats what the charging system is requesting from the alternator) nor can you go with the reading you get from putting a meter across the terminals with the battery connected (as that will be affected by parasitic draw) you would have to disconnect the negative terminal and read across them that way. I don't recall what it should read (12.7 or something like that) but you can take the car to most auto parts stores and they will go outside and connect a device to do a load test free of charge.

You can also take a plain rubber eraser on a pencil (or an alcohol prep, but let that dry) and run it across the wires on each side of the pellet on the key(s) just to ensure the system is reading the resistance of the pellet. I wouldn't recommend you stick anything inside the IG switch as there is a fragile wire in there, if you break it.....you'll be changing the switch.

If the previous owner had any (or all three) of the GM recalls done at a dealer its not safe to assume that the problem is corrected (they don't always work, or they stop working). If your problem does wind up to be a column lock issue, they only reliable way to correct it that I have seen is to install the aftermarket column lock bypass.

If it turns out thats your problem user 8Vette7 should be along and tell you how to address it (or message him).

Good luck
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Major Dump
Advanced

I hate these keys. I have issues with mine too, it fails to start part of the time. I need to just try again and some times the security light comes on even though there wasn't a problem starting it. My other car which is also an 04 has a proximity chip in it which they started using back in 98.

Cleaned the hell out of the resistor and its still garbage.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

I cleaned her key and tried it several times. As soon as I put it in the ignition, the seat now goes to the correct memory position and then the car starts. That may have been an issue. The battery being low? that wouldn't have stopped it from starting immediately after she got home and tried it again, would it? I even told her she probably didn't have the clutch pushed all the way down.. Didn't like the response or look I got after that comment. Hopefully it won't be an issue again but we'll carry the spare key just in case.
Thanks for all the suggestions, great forum..
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 797 Likes on 448 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

If she used any kind of hand lotion before she touched the key, she would have contaminated the chip in the key and that would cause her a lot of problems.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
If she used any kind of hand lotion before she touched the key, she would have contaminated the chip in the key and that would cause her a lot of problems.
..and then you can BLAME HER!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

I was getting random Security lights when I first got the car. I only got one key and FOB so I got new ones and saved the old ones for spares. I didn't really pay attention to it, but no more security light! I didn't connect the two until this thread, correcting the security light wasn't my intention. Maybe I should get a new key for the spare too.
Better lucky than smart!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

She'll have better days with the car I am sure!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Don't also need to train the keys along with sat memory? so that each specific key is set to that memory. read up on that in the manual
Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Plenty of good ideas and suggestions submitted here, but before we can proceed further, And solve the problem, I think we'll all agree that a picture of the wife is in order!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
Plenty of good ideas and suggestions submitted here, but before we can proceed further, And solve the problem, I think we'll all agree that a picture of the wife is in order!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by rtpassini
Don't also need to train the keys along with sat memory? so that each specific key is set to that memory. read up on that in the manual
No training of key needed, Only the fob needs to be trained.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:36 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

First thing I did when I got my Vette home after buying it was checking and filling with distilled water the battery cells. Most peeps ignore these and then wonder why that have electrical issues.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 AM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
No training of key needed, Only the fob needs to be trained.
I couldn't remember. thanks for clarifying. I just knew it would remember which person it was for the memory. but couldn't remember if that was key or key fob.

also, I thought our batteries were sealed and you aren't supposed to open them up.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dankhts

From our Daughter's Wedding last month....The old goat beside her is this fella. I'm sure someone would have helped her get the damn car running eventually.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

I even told her she probably didn't have the clutch pushed all the way down.. Didn't like the response or look I got after that comment.

Get notified of new replies

To My Wife is not a happy 'Vette driver today..

Quick Reply: My Wife is not a happy 'Vette driver today..