Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your Corvette spring/summer plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Joe Babe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since I belong to long island vettes .com we have a few events, Saint Jude (not 4 profit),
Vettes at Belmore Library, An all car show at the Vanderbuilt masion just to name a few plus get togethers at a local resturants and picnicks at a park.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

My new track wheels/tires are in-route as I type. I will be adding a transmission cooler. Then the plan is to run at least three track days this summer.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
garrell.770
Racer

Default Corvette plans

Blue Fire & JoeBabe, I envy you both, we do no have a Corvette club locally and it sounds like fun to go to all of the events and dinners, And I would love to build a track car and attend several road race track events a year, probably Road Atlanta has one and thats only 80 miles away. I am driving 500 miles next month to landspeed race my truck, maybe I will check next year!

Garrel
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DRIVE,,,and drive some more!!! Hope to get to some club events. One I am going on for sure is our "Man Cruise",we are going to be making some stops on the old Route!! Haven't heard if we are going to display at the Scott AFB air show this year or not.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing

Should be a riot to drive after it's all finished!
Let's hope so !!!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I plan to do more shows and attend more club functions
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by garrell.770
I didn't expect to run into anyone in the Corvette forum that was a member of the E.C.T.A.
Ain't it great to run at wide open throttle down that mile, there is not much else in motorsports more enjoyable. I was so blessed to run at Maxton in Oct. the last ever Maxton Mile

Garrell
Looks like you just ran into another ECTA and SCTA member Garrell.
I also ran at the last Maxton event in our BGMS 56 Corvette and will be running at the first Ohio Mile event this week.
After owning all kinds of Corvettes over the last 43 years, when it came time to pick a car for LandSpeed racing the Corvette was a natural.
I am sure that I could have picked a more aerodynamic car, but it just didn't seem right.
I hope to see you in Wilmington this week.

Regards, Dave Gray
56 Corvette # 3611
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 AM
garrell.770
Racer

Default What are your summer plans

Hey Dave so glad you picked up on my thread, this has been a good one but I thought it had died and gone to forum heaven.I have a couple of newer ones check them out and post your experiences on them.
I am really glad you contacted me, I have made list and loaded things all day in preparation for leaving Thursday at 4:00 am. I too have been a Corvette owner for over 43 years with only a few times without one, mixed in with about 7 Z28'S, lots of other great muscle cars and pre-musclecars SS Impalas, 427 ci, and 409 ci etc. and as hard as we try once you have owned a Corvette you can't quit. I have often told people on this forum that they are additive.
I don't know how much you have read but I am recovering from a near fatal heart attack folowed within a month by three strokes. I was unable to care for myself and suffered total memory loss. I have been out of my whelchair for sixteen months and went from a walker to a walking stick eight months ago when I started landspeed racing. I will have the walking stick for the rest of my life due to Parkinson's desease and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
You are right there is nothing like going full throttle down that mile and as exciting as Maxton was Ohio should be even greater because everyone says it is as smooth as glass. I took the easy way out and decided to race my SS Silverado truck in production pickup, it is very heavy at 5400 lbs. but I broke and set a landspeed record at Maxton in Oct. at 128 mph and I have had substancial modifications done since Oct. and I hope to run 130 to 135 mph if the wind doesn't kill us. The forecast calls for 12 to 17 mph winds Sat. and Sunday. I will close now but look forward to seeing you, is the red Corvette your racing Vette sure looks nice to connect.

Garrell
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on going down and getting a re-tune - then installing some new suspension components and a new clutch.

Then I plan on taking it to a few cruises and having some fun
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I just finished adding flares on my car. When I'm done work tonight my car is going straight to the mechanics to have the TPIS headers, and xpipe with hi-flo cats installed. After that at some point it goes to the paint booth to fix some minor scratches, then depending on my budget, new wheels and tires...I think that's if for now.

Oh, then by next month a tune as well
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

There are 5 of us taking the vettes from so. cal to Bowling Green for a factory and museum tour. After that I might take a run up to Yellowstone National Park!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Leaving 05/31/12 Missouri to Detroit to Arlington, Tx. Back home on 06/10/12. Then maybe Hannibal, Mo in August. And anywhere else I can find an excuse to go.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM
garrell.770
Racer

Default Summer plans

I leave at 4:00 am in the morning to run the Ohio, Mile landspeed race and I have had substancial performance work done to my SS Silverado truck including a tuneup that produced 32 hp. The truck has an LQ9 engine which is a 6.0 iron block aluminum head LS engine just as the 5.7 in my c5 Corvette so I am not unfamiliar with the methods of adding hp to this platform. In the old days a tuneup or retune ment installing new points, plugs and possibly plug wires. I have noticed in several places in the forum where some of you mention a retune can these scary things wear out ? My performance work was done in two fazes and completed around six weeks ago including the tuneup and I carried the truck for a short test run yesterday afternoon to my secrete place. On the first to second shift(4l65e) it hit the rev limiter slightly and it didn't before and my seat of the pants dyno felt like it did not have near the power it had three weeks ago. It did not miss or skip it just didn't rare up and roar. Same gas, similar weather conditions, same road and driver. The battery has not run down or the post disconnected. It is too late to go to the tuner. QUESTION, can an ls platform engine looze it's tunup? Would running it in tow mode help any, this is a big deal for me that I have been preparing for for six months.

Garrell
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dcandel
Drive it today
Have a couple of beers later

Drive it tomorrow
Have a couple of beers later

Drive it the next day
Have a couple of more beers later

etc, etc, etc
We are on the exact same page!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bakerking31
first the PCH traffic sucks, so just be aware and not in any hurry.

I would go south a bit from SF to hwy 120 going through Yosemite, from there you can take the 395 down to the 190 over to Vegas. I have driven the 120 and the 395 several times and its an amazing drive.

This is hwy 120

This is 395
We don't have anything like that on the east coast. Does anybody have suggestions for a week or less good driving trip (I would be leaving from North Florida)? I don't have the time to drive to the west coast but I want to soon.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bobd207s
Hope to get one trip in early this season consisting of Bowling Green for the Museum & Plant Tour , Tail of the Dragon, Cherhola Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive - will be 3rd time doing this but first in the 04 CE.
Would love to go to Carlisle later in the season and also get ECS tune the 04 CE.
Bob
Blue Ridge Parkway - I think that just answered my question!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is within your range, check out the western NC from towards Asheville toward Gatlinburg, TN for some nice windy roads with beautiful views (be careful when you look). Also, you might want to check out N Georgia from Toccoa,GA area toward Cashiers and Highlands, NC. The Great Smoky National Park and Blue Ridge Parkway are also in the vicinity.

[COLOR="Red"][B]If you are really up for a challenge, check out the Tail of the Dragon road. Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles, is claimed to be America's number one motorcycle and sports car road. Lots of info including maps and videos at either
http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

You can also search for Tail of the Dragon to get a variety of info. I have been up near that way a couple of times in the past few weeks, and it really is a nice ride if you are in no hurry. If you happen to go, be prepared to stop and take pics/video or get your passenger to take some action shots. You will likely want to post some of them.

Also, for anyone in the northwestern SC area, I would also recommend that you check out Scenic Highway 11 getting on from I-85 near the NC/SC border and heading north. This will take you within sight of Table Rock, the site of the last scene in the Last of the Mohicans film. Additionally, to many fans & viewers of The Last of the Mohicans, the last 20 minutes, or so, of the film - shot mostly at Chimney Rock Park - comprise the centerpiece of the film. This is also nearby.

Hope this gives ideas for some places to check out for folks that want to spread their wings from either Atlanta, Charlotte or Knoxville areas.

Get notified of new replies

To What are your Corvette spring/summer plans

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive more... Some track time would be awesome, but I doubt thats going to happen any time soon.

Titanium exhaust mod (not bypass) with cutouts built in to the system.

Paint my 'track' wheels crazy colours and get hated on.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You answered your question while I was writing, and The Blue Ridge Parkway is a great choice. Just be sure to allow time to enjoy it and allow for lots of opportunities to stop and smell the flowers!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuengineer
If it is within your range, check out the western NC from towards Asheville toward Gatlinburg, TN for some nice windy roads with beautiful views (be careful when you look). Also, you might want to check out N Georgia from Toccoa,GA area toward Cashiers and Highlands, NC. The Great Smoky National Park and Blue Ridge Parkway are also in the vicinity.

[COLOR="Red"][B]If you are really up for a challenge, check out the Tail of the Dragon road. Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles, is claimed to be America's number one motorcycle and sports car road. Lots of info including maps and videos at either
http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

You can also search for Tail of the Dragon to get a variety of info. I have been up near that way a couple of times in the past few weeks, and it really is a nice ride if you are in no hurry. If you happen to go, be prepared to stop and take pics/video or get your passenger to take some action shots. You will likely want to post some of them.

Also, for anyone in the northwestern SC area, I would also recommend that you check out Scenic Highway 11 getting on from I-85 near the NC/SC border and heading north. This will take you within sight of Table Rock, the site of the last scene in the Last of the Mohicans film. Additionally, to many fans & viewers of The Last of the Mohicans, the last 20 minutes, or so, of the film - shot mostly at Chimney Rock Park - comprise the centerpiece of the film. This is also nearby.

Hope this gives ideas for some places to check out for folks that want to spread their wings from either Atlanta, Charlotte or Knoxville areas.
Good concise info. Thanks so much Tiger! I'm a Gamecock, but unlike many Gator and Seminoles fans and the like, I pull for all of South Carolina even if it isn't the Gamecocks!