Sponsored by:

Octane test report

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Octane test report

Just got back from filling up the Vette on Chevron "mid grade". Second tank actually. No problems what's so ever. No pinging during hard acceleration, nothing. Car runs great! Next tank will be regular.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
capehorn3
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Why
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,389 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have, on occasion, run mid-grade in mine and did not notice any pinging or reduced performance. I do run premium though when available.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I run regular in my 04 all the time , in fact I drove it back from California and never had any issues , it will ping if I'm real hard on it , but regular driving 's no problems at all . Ron
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Again, I use Mobil1 5W30 but I could use dyno oil.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Default octane test

Originally Posted by capehorn3
Why
Why not? If it runs just as good on cheaper gas what's your point? I truly don't think regular is going to work. But, I'm going to give it a try just for the heck of it!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Green_Devil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here we go again
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Default Octane test

Originally Posted by runner140*
Again, I use Mobil1 5W30 but I could use dyno oil.
Come on, you're not even close. I love my car as much as you do! I would not think of f*&*)ng it up!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Deviant LS6
Instructor

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
No pinging during hard acceleration, nothing
Really? Have you been scanning your knock counts? What were they before and after the switch? How much timing is the pcm pulling because of detonation? Just because you can't feel or hear the pinging it doesn't mean it's not happening.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Premium or regular ?

Why not? If it runs just as good on cheaper gas what's your point? I truly don't think regular is going to work. But, I'm going to give it a try just for the heck of it!
Well look you can put anything in your car and that's fine by me. It's your car, do whatever you want. But you should understand something. 1. Regular gasoline is a fuel and it's going to run in any internal combustion engine. Of course the downside is what's not in regular. In regular fuel it doesn't have any detergents, maybe a little, but certainly not a complete Detergent and Anti-wear additive & octane enhancer you find in premium gasoline. Constant use of say 87 octane fuel, when in your owners manual it clearly states the car must be run on a fuel with a Octane rating of at least 91 octane.

So that's pretty clear, the engineers at GM power trains division really think using at least 91 octane fuel will give your car the necessary additive to ensure you and your engine will have a long life. And they hope you'll do that and you and you car will both run better and last longer. I personally seek out a ("Top Tier") - You can look it up on the web, gasoline whenever I drive and I refuse to put any regular low grade Gasoline in my Corvette. I did the math the other day, If I filled up the 17 gallon tank with regular vs, Premium it comes out to be $1.54 cents difference. Now I ask you, If you want to fuel your Corvette like a Cobalt, then why didn't you buy the Cavalier or Cobalt or whatever runs swell on cheap gas. I mean does $2.00 difference really mean that much to you ?. . . I paid $49K for my 2003 50th anniversary coupe when I bought it. It gets everything the GM maintenance schedule dictates.

If your interested "Road & Track magazine this month has a great article about what is in your gasoline and whats not and why it's in there, some science and some political, but it a good read anyway. But I hear this discussion on the forum often about using cheap or Ethanol laden fuels. And I don't mean any disrespect, but why did you buy a Corvette ? Why not buy a sporty Ford Focus or a really nice Toyota or Honda, Look Honda's are a great little car and you can do all kinds of things to a Honda that same as a Corvette and you can run on the cheapest gasoline you can fine. But I can assure you if and when I have the Vette up around the century mark, i sure am glad I've got a fuel the will get me there and bring me home and idle as smooth as silk in the driveway. but People are people, Good luck with the cheap fuel, in a year or two and you go out on a cool day and you go to start your Corvette and it is so sick the thing won't even catch. But you can always sign up with AAA !
Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

It'll be a cold day in hell I run anything less than 91 octane in my FRC. Of course, it's required for this setup.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Originally Posted by Deviant LS6
Really? Have you been scanning your knock counts? What were they before and after the switch? How much timing is the pcm pulling because of detonation? Just because you can't feel or hear the pinging it doesn't mean it's not happening.
Come on. The car is fine. I am not going to go out and wreck my Vette. It's a f'n science deal. It has performed perfectly so far. As soon as it tell's me other wise we will be fine. If it pings I think I might hear it. So far we have had no knock counts. This car hauls ***.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
CBZZZC5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between 87 and 91 is $3.80 per tank full.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just got back from filling up the Vette on Chevron "mid grade". Second tank actually. No problems what's so ever. No pinging during hard acceleration, nothing. Car runs great! Next tank will be regular.
You wont feel any difference.

The knock sensor is retarding the ignition to compensate for the lower octane. That means you're getting less performance and worse gas mileage.

At least you're bucking the trend. Most guys around here are loking for mods to increase performance.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good reason to use premium where I live is that it has no ethanol, unlike the lower grades which have five and ten percent respectively.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Deviant LS6
Instructor

Come on. The car is fine. I am not going to go out and wreck my Vette. It's a f'n science deal. It has performed perfectly so far. As soon as it tell's me other wise we will be fine. If it pings I think I might hear it. So far we have had no knock counts. This car hauls ***.
So you're not scanning for knock retard and just using the good ole' butt dyno. Good to know that you think everything is "okay."
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Of course it has nothing to do with the engineers being in bed with the gas companys.Same scam has GM DEXOS oil only in 2011 or newer cars . I called Texas where the lab ENGINEER laughed and said he gets these questions all the time , so he sent me a copy of the certificate saying what other oil are also good for 2011 newer GM's and they were not GM DEXOS OIL
PS it's your car do what you want , I run regular in both of mine

Get notified of new replies

To Octane test report

Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
XDodgeMan
Instructor

When an engine is developed they do a "Knock Test" as part of the normal development, it is part of the mapping process which sets the spark and fuel for the entire range the engine will run and all weather conditions. Temperature, barometer, humidity all enter into the equation besides the air flow, throttle position, RPM and all the other factors tested.

Most times on a performance engine the Knock Sensor is there to pull back spark for those times when and owner can't get premium fuel. Sure the engine will run fine, especially when driven around town and not heavily loaded. Going from part throttle to wide open is also a critical area.

I really don't think this is one of those "Deals" with a gas company.

I would bet that the vast majority of C5 Corvettes are driven pretty easily, when lower octane will work just fine, and not getting the crap beat out of them when you had better have premium fuel.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
breeze01
Intermediate

" Constant use of say 87 octane fuel, when in your owners manual it clearly states the car must be run on a fuel with a Octane rating of at least 91 octane. "

I'm not arguing the benefits of running premium. I use it and these discussions go no where from what I've seen but this is not at all what my owners manual says. Mine just says "Use premium unleaded gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher for best performance. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded gasolines, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced."
Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
racetchr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Green_Devil
here we go again

Quick Reply: Octane test report