Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do C5s ever see the rain? And, have they always been garaged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
And I always get the opposite of that... Some of the *** holes in the local corvette club give me **** for driving mine in the rain. "was that your car driving down such and such road last weekend in the rain?" "yeah, most likely"... "well you should take better care of it".
See that's what I don't understand. Its one thing to have an opinion on how to keep your car. Its entirely another thing trying to push your opinion on others....

You should ask them if they have any opinions on how you should raise your kids too...

Toque
Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

And I always get the opposite of that... Some of the *** holes in the local corvette club give me **** for driving mine in the rain. "was that your car driving down such and such road last weekend in the rain?" "yeah, most likely"... "well you should take better care of it".

Check out these soon to be "always garage kept" cars. Lol

I'm not being critical of you personally, I was just making a generalization. I really don't care how anyone uses their car. Frankly, it's none of my business. I do enjoy my car, even though I don't drive it all of the time. Most of my friends from the local Corvette club make fun of me because I don't drive mine much. In fact, one of them went so far as to have a "Best Garage Queen" trophy made for me. I apologize if I offended you. That wasn't my intent.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 639 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by slj455
....... Oh the wipers even worked. Which reminds me I have to replace them.
When I bought a '99 last month it was a car that the owner said "has rarely seen rain". I discovered that the wiper blades were separating and if I would have tried to use them they would have scratched the window.

I replaced the wipers a few weeks ago when I discovered it. ( I also changed them on two other cars when it reminded me. )
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

mine see rain

and snow at WGI (luckily we were leaving this day and didnt run)

Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM
andy46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out these soon to be "always garage kept" cars. Lol

This is precisely why I don't join car clubs any more, I have in the past, and it ends up being a group of people that don't know when to shut up, and mind their own business.
They may feel that they're just kidding, but it gets old after a while.
And is the number one reason why some people think Vette owners are snobs!
Which we all know isn't true!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

There is a chance some of them have never seen rain yes. But you have to talk to the owenr and get a feel for him'her to know if it's true or not. I wouldn't automatically believe it just because they may so in an ad.

Spending it's life in a garage is more important to me than the rain thing. keeping it covered and out of the elements is huge considering the sun, rain, hail, etc. I'm lucky, I park in a garage at work if I drive it abd I have a garge at home as well I park it in the summer.

But in the winter it gets shoved out to my carport that I really need to get closed in.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

rain??

mine has seen hurricanes
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My C5 have always been garaged, however I have no problem taking it out in the rain if I have to.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by marvinseah
Only reason I don't like to drive my car in the rain is because it leaks. It has the "wet carpet" syndrome :-(
fix it..

plenty of info in the C5 tech section in the stickies and DIY section...Bill Curlee has a whole thread about leaks
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by andy46
This is precisely why I don't join car clubs any more, I have in the past, and it ends up being a group of people that don't know when to shut up, and mind their own business.
They may feel that they're just kidding, but it gets old after a while.
And is the number one reason why some people think Vette owners are snobs!
Which we all know isn't true!
I'm beginning to wonder. I know there are many real nice people that drive vettes and I know some of them personally here on this forum, (some of my Illinois friends come to mind) but I was shocked to see how many are pure snobs when I joined this forum. Before that I never really talked or hung out with vette owners much because I am not a club member and there aren't a lot of vettes just out cruising around in my area, so I just did my own thing.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
BAD-C5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03z06nj
not mine, but i thought this might fit well in here

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Bri03MSG
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sits out in the rain all the time, drives great in the rain also, just wish I had some rain guards so I could crack my window down. We had a bit of snow and slush last week drove home from work in it car handled fine.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Bought mine and test drove mine in the rain. Got a great price. ;-)

Mine is garaged and most of the time covered. I don't mine taking the vette out in the rain if it needs to be washed anyways.

However, if I just washed it or detailed my vette I will not go out into the rain cause I don't want to do it all again. Fortunately, I do have other cars that work better in the rain. ;-) If I didn't I'd go for it and just clean it up after the rain stops.

Nothing but a thing.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 AM
novafx4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has seen rain twice since I've owned it. The guy I bought it from claimed that it hadn't seen rain the entire time he had owned it and made a point of telling me that it still had the original wiper blades. (It's an '02 Z06) I don't believe I'll make a habit out of driving in the rain, but it's not going to kill me if it happens. I'm not as **** as some about detailing, but I do want to keep it looking good. If I think it's going to rain I'll drive my truck or the wife's Honda instead of the vette.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CatCam
Now it has "seen" rain. One time at work it rained roads were wet and nasty.....had the wife swing by and pick me up that evening (on her way) and I left the car in the parking lot overnight.
Wow...
Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
TEECEE
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

my 02 is in this group! NO rain or snow. BUT its just me being ****!! Now it is just a mission to keep it going. Rain and snow isnt going to hurt anything. the undercarriage will just be "fresher" not getting wet. i had a 1989 IROC convertible when i was younger and it never saw rain. When the car was 12 + yrs old, the underside looked like it had ZERO miles on it. I do believe that salt is bad and that would definitely make me think twice!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mecinoid
Bought mine and test drove mine in the rain. Got a great price. ;-)

Mine is garaged and most of the time covered. I don't mine taking the vette out in the rain if it needs to be washed anyways.

However, if I just washed it or detailed my vette I will not go out into the rain cause I don't want to do it all again. Fortunately, I do have other cars that work better in the rain. ;-) If I didn't I'd go for it and just clean it up after the rain stops.

Nothing but a thing.
You got a good price because it had been rained on

Get notified of new replies

To Do C5s ever see the rain? And, have they always been garaged?

Old 03-03-2012, 03:44 PM
jdub2k5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TEECEE
my 02 is in this group! NO rain or snow. BUT its just me being ****!! Now it is just a mission to keep it going. Rain and snow isnt going to hurt anything. the undercarriage will just be "fresher" not getting wet. i had a 1989 IROC convertible when i was younger and it never saw rain. When the car was 12 + yrs old, the underside looked like it had ZERO miles on it. I do believe that salt is bad and that would definitely make me think twice!
nice but I always wonder if it rained on the car during delivery :-)

I am sure at one point almost every car has seen rain because of the fact they have to be delivered on an exposed semi truck
Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

I don't have a garage so it's in the weather all the time. I try to keep it looking nice and hate driving it during heavy rain. Standing water is just annoying, not dangerous with such wide tires so I avoid heavy rain. One thing I'm a bit **** about is the wiper blades on any car I own, they're replaced at the first streak across the windshield, usually twice a year.

Bottom line: It gets dirty, I clean it up. Sometimes it's a couple weeks when the weather obviously will be rainy for a while, it is Oregon after all. The weather breaks for an afternoon and I'll wash it, then it will get dirty again.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not driven in the rain? Gosh it rains here every day for 6 months out of the year!!. Although my vettes live in a garage at night they get driven in the rain every day and in the winter I run separate wheels and tires so that they’re good for the snow as well. (well it only snows here a few times a year anyways) Heck half of the time my cars get washed in the rain during the winter months because I wash them every week.

Check out the pics of my cars do they look dirty to you? These cars are meant to be driven and they do a lot better when they are driven every day ……… the key to keeping your corvette reliable and healthy is regular maintenance.

When your looking to buy a used vette I suppose it is nice if it’s “never seen rain” but be sure you ask to see receipts for the maintenance that’s been performed since the seller has owned it.

Quick Reply: Do C5s ever see the rain? And, have they always been garaged?