Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket Loopholes!!?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Too many great tracks around this country to be driving like that on a street. Seems like a teenager in Charlotte just got sent to prison for killing a mother and daughter in a high speed wreck. Here is my GPS from Dec track day:

[IMG][/IMG]

Completely legal, as safe as can be at that speed and a blast. You should check it out. It is an addiction.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

With or without a lawyer, you need to go to court. If you plead guilty, then you can try and get points reduced and could get the officer on your side. If you plead not guilty then the officer and the judge are going to burn you. Something like to happened to me years ago, but only about 25 over the limit in my Pantera. I went to court and spoke to the officer before court started. He spoke to the judge and worked a deal where if I paid the fine the judge would cut the points in half. Nice officer and the judge kept his word. When you have 7 cars the insurance costs can kill you from racking up points.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
RBRBRNR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...I LOVE stuff like this! Just to see SO MANY people get all excited. Guess what people....Safety Officer talking here....son of a retired Chicago police officer. Pops always told me what a majority of you are saying. Man up...be respectful...and 'fight every ticket.' Be honest, and ask for leniency and not $ reduction. Just ask for a lesser offense to keep your insurance from going up. I've given my fair share to the state(s) as well...but have never even come close to losing my license of having insurance go up.

I think those of us who truly 'drive' these cars know there are cardinal rules. Sure, go fast, but know your route, your road, no passengers, no other cars, no cross-traffic, etc. etc.

Yeah yeah yeah....OMG...you went 104?!?!? Geesh...give me a break. I'm sure all of these great advertisers on the left and those elsewhere want you to build that 800-1000 hp monster to go....uh...65 mph.

Opinions are like a-holes...listen to the majority. You don't need no stinkin' lawyer. Respect and honesty.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
J0KER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep...

Last time I tried to use a "loophole" similar to yours, the judge looked at me and said: "Son, please tell me where you were and what you were doing @ 11:15am on such and such date..."

Busted....

Can't use an honest mistake by a LEO to getcha out of what is rightfully yours... Man up... pay it... move on.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default naive one

2011 is for your current tabs, assuming your plates are up to date, you are lucky you wre not arrested and the c5 towed. plea bargain the radar reading down to a more reasonable speed and pay the fine or go to a class for problem drivers. rockit1 rock it.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Find a Traffic Specific Attorney. I have used one in San Francisco for years and she is great at getting things dismissed or getting me the option for traffic school when I was not eligible.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ive seen parking ticket get thrown out for type o;s its worth a shot,
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just love it when all of the high and mighty "preachers" come out of the woodwork to chastise the OP. Someone needs to start a poll on here to see if there is anyone here on the forum who HASN'T gone over 100mph.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket
I just love it when all of the high and mighty "preachers" come out of the woodwork to chastise the OP. Someone needs to start a poll on here to see if there is anyone here on the forum who HASN'T gone over 100mph.
Exactly! People getting up in arms about safety. They should be driving Volvos instead of Vettes!

It depends on the conditions. I used to drive regularly between Vegas and Carson City. You can drive these roads and not see another car for quite some time. I would normally drive between 100 and 150 until I see another car up ahead and then slow to 80 - 90. You have to slow to 25 - 35 in the little towns in between too.

I just drove to Phoenix and back from LA area on the 10 freeway in my wife's Nissan Murano. Speed limit is 70 in CA, 75 in AZ. I had the CC set to 80 in CA and then 90 in AZ. Got passed by several cars. Doing over 100 in a Vette would be perfectly safe (given the car has had it's regular PM's done).
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Jewjenk;1580001082]
Originally Posted by Merlin02
Not that it would matter, but tickets are "amended" by the traffic division at the police department every day. Our tickets are checked for errors and completeness by our Traffic Division secretary before they're ever forward to the traffic court for processing. If a mistake is noted on a ticket, a short amendment form is filled out by the secretary amending the error and the form is stapled to the back of the ticket before it's ever sent over to the court. Amendment forms are court documents and are completely legit and it's done all the time.

That's actually altering a legal document, if the officer does not acknowledge the change then it's something that the officer cannot testify to. Any tickets that are "corrected" in this fashion should be dismissed. And the practice stopped. This is why in NY, Internal Affairs will get involved if an officer has too many voided tickets due to inconsistencies. And the officer can be brought up on departmental charges for not taking the time to write a proper ticket. Any changes to the ticket after it is written should and only be done by the officer, initialed and sworn to. Except in NY the ticket in question is voided out and a complete new ticket is written with the correct information. I have had many arguments with "Administrative aids" who altered my version, added, deleted or changed charges, shortened the story or did not type up EXACTLY what I wrote on an original police report. This is why lawyers have a field day in court and make the officer on the stand look like sheeeeeet. When in court I would inform the judge that the courts copy has been altered. CASE DROPPED.................................

And of course, the "victim" has a copy of the ticket as written on the day of the incident, which would prove that the original had been altered after he was issued the ticket. Closed case at that point............
"It's NOT altering a legal document." The amendment form is completed and one copy is attached to the back of the ticket, and the second copy of the form is mailed to the violator. Noting is altered on the face of the ticket. An "amendment" is ATTACHED to the ticket before it's processed by the court. Everyone is made aware of the amendment (court, judge, & violator) prior to a trial, so there's no surprises. Like I already mentioned...it's done every day.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

My last ticket was in Denton also, got deferred judifacation Just paid a higher fine. I was only going like 30 over though.

Last edited by Zogs2011; 02-13-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM
PryOpenUr3rdEye
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO if you have bought any performance vehicle, much less a Vette, and have NOT driven over 100 then you wasted your $. You certainly didn't pay for the C5 interior and it's plastic parts...you paid for it's performance. The OP was on a clear road doing 105, he wasn't doing 60 in a 55 and weaving in and out of traffic. To me that is more dangerous as it is putting multiple peoples lives in danger with pile ups. If he crashed at 100+ he would be the only one at risk. I understand the ticket because in the view of the law if the OP does 105 here, he likely speeds elsewhere and can potentially cause a wreck....but you people that are bashing others for driving solo on open roads at high speed are full of s***. Furthermore, why blow money on Z and Y rated tires for your Vette if you are never going to put them to use?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Harry Marsh
Racer

Lawyer here

Every state is different

Most counties within states are different

Call a local attorney that does a lot of these
that is your only option. No one here will give advice worth listening to. You need a local attorney that knows your system

Automatic revocation, I am guessing

PS. I am sending this thread to some friends to read, for some of the laughable, horrible suggestions

Last edited by Harry Marsh; 02-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
You admit you did it, Why not just man up and pay? You play, you pay.
104 in a 60, Not very smart in my opinion.
Mr.Bill
ahh the good ol "holyier than thou" post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Ikester
ahh the good ol "holyier than thou" post
It really isn't the 104 in a 55 that bothers me, It is the fact he got caught and is looking for a way out of it and not pay. Sure I have done it and not got caught, But if I did I would know I was in the wrong and pay my dues no questions asked, I don't think I would of even gotten on the forum and posted about it. If you call that Holyier then Thou then so be it.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Mr.C5
Instructor

I have yet to go over 100 in my vette. I'm basically waiting on new tires to see if that solves some minor handling issues first. If it does... then...well.

However I did get a 106in a 60 in my Turbo Mach 1, once. I got handcuffed thrown to the ground and lectured for two hours. $700 ticket and a 1/4 mile date with the cop that pulled me over was my punishment.

He didn't show up at the track in his Porsche though :/
Old 02-13-2012, 09:52 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

YOU got the ticket, not the car. In many states, that much over the limit goes to the judge, and you will probably find that you are not likely to skate on a technicality.
Lawyer up...

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding Ticket Loopholes!!?? HELP

Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Merlin02;1580005378]
Originally Posted by Jewjenk

"It's NOT altering a legal document." The amendment form is completed and one copy is attached to the back of the ticket, and the second copy of the form is mailed to the violator. Noting is altered on the face of the ticket. An "amendment" is ATTACHED to the ticket before it's processed by the court. Everyone is made aware of the amendment (court, judge, & violator) prior to a trial, so there's no surprises. Like I already mentioned...it's done every day.
Not to argue this out but, it appears that non LE personal are checking the tickets and then putting in missing information BEFORE it gets to the court. Again this is not what is on the violators original ticket. Even though all parties get an amended copy. This is like getting a car loan and after all the papers are signed you get an amended finance sheet charging 5% more interest then what you signed for...........Only takes on smart violator to complain and sue................

What is done every day may not be totally legal. That's like the person I once caught going up a one way street to get to his house, stated, yes he saw all the signs and knew it was one way, that he lived in the area for ten years and was never bothered.

Also as poster Marsh stated, every municipality has different local laws and have their own particular nuances, so it would behoove the OP to seek out a lawyer in his area that is privy to the laws in that state and municipality in order to get a proper answer as to what his options and mode of defense should be.

Being from NYC I can only tell what the operational procedures are and how to beat a ticket there. Although things do change.

Here are a couple........

http://www.newyorkparkingticket.com/beat-your-ticket/

http://www.ehow.com/how_5825354_beat...ic-ticket.html

http://www.blurofinsanity.com/Speeding.html

Remember this is NY, may not work in your area..............

Last edited by Jewjenk; 02-13-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Most courts, not all in CA have a mandatory appearance for speeds over 90 mph. Most officers who stop you for 104 might be okay if you are on a deserted road. 104 on a crowded freeway will get you a reckless driving charge, possible in-custody arrest and impoundment of your car. Its not worth it but it is hard to ignore those deserted roadways!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Too many great tracks around this country to be driving like that on a street. Seems like a teenager in Charlotte just got sent to prison for killing a mother and daughter in a high speed wreck. Here is my GPS from Dec track day:

[IMG][/IMG]

Completely legal, as safe as can be at that speed and a blast. You should check it out. It is an addiction.
what app is this?

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Loopholes!!?? HELP