C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Space inside car

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

6', 175, used to be 267,,,fit better everywhere now!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay - I'll admit, the weigh issue is dependent on where the weight is on the body.....if you are 270 lbs with a 33" waist you are okay (ummm, don't kick my @ss!!)!!

I just cannot see how somebody that is 6'-5" can fit comfortably in a Targa top Coupe? I'm 6'-1" and I have very little headroom....hmmmm....maybe I have short legs and a tall torso??!!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dood73
I know there is no substitute for seat time to really make a decision. Unfortunately I don't have any friends driving a C5 coupe or Z that I can hop into for a while. So was trying to get a general feel what you all think since you all have much more experience than I do.

I've seen the bigger guys standing next to their cars and that made me wonder a bit. They seem roomy enough inside. I know it isn't going to be like a large car, but then you don't exactly drive them to try and get the larger car feel.

I'm happy to see that there are some guys out there built more like me that are happy with the fit. I'm built more linebackerish, so a loss of weight ain't making my shoulders or legs smaller.

I appreciate all the honest feedback.

MMMMM.... biscuits
I didn't have any buds with a C5 either. Go to a dealership and drive theirs. It's best to test drive one that's the wrong color, tranny, body style ect., don't want to get sucked in while at the dealership! I test drove one before I bought that sealed the deal for me, it was an A4 and bored me to tears. It was a beautiful low mileage car but was also way overpriced = easy to walk away from.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Hey Dood. I'm not real close to you but if you are ever in my area I'd gladly give you all the time you need to get comfortable. With a memory seat in my Z06 I really don't mind having it moved around. Another one of us "Jersey Boys' is up in Sussex, codename Striper. He's doing some work on his car now but if you search for him I'm sure he would correspond favorably.
As for me, I'm just under 6' and 200. and extremely comfortable. Years ago my Chiropractor insisted I establish a new seating position to help with my back condition I had. I sit much closer and higher than the average person my size, and I still have lots of room and comfort in my C5.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Wow, Thats gonna leave a mark for sure....

My son is 6'1" at 270lbs and he fits just fine when he uses my car.
Mr.Bill
I'll agree on the point that Mr. Bill makes .... I'm pretty close to that 250lbs and 6' and have at least another inch of rear travel in the seat and had to telescope the steering wheel to me today because it seemed way too far out there. Plenty on gut room. The steering wheel in now set about half way. The seat doesn't pinch me during long rides. I did one of those 4 hr rides today Livermore -SF-Half Moon Bay-Santa Cruz and back to Livermore. Very comfortable. My wife and I used the smoked top that Mr. Bill sold me today. I'll have to say it was a great Kali day. (Thanks Mr. Bill !!!!)

Back the the Vette - Matter of fact my 370Z is a little narrower in the seat and snugger. But, I actually like that. The snugness doesn't allow me to move around in the seat like in the Vette does. (better for cornering) Not sure I'd recommend the Z car for someone over 275lbs though.

So, I think you'll be OK in a C5. Take a test drive in one for about an hour and you will know.

Now, a C6 has less headroom I found out. That is one of the main reasons I bought my C5 and didn't worry so much about getting the C6. I also told myself I like the looks of my particular C5 more than the C6. One of the biggest reasons is I love my car is the hide away lights. I look at a C5 and C6 next to each other and I still like the looks of a C5 better. It's not like I'm going to track my C5. I have another car for that. Can you say Supercharger....

Anyways, if your interested in a C6. Sit in one and go for a ride. When you hit some railroad tracks and bump your head you'll know what I mean. Plus, in the C5 you'll have extra room just in case you decide to put on a helmet and play speed racer for the day .... or, I know eventually take it to the track to test your mods out.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 02-05-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
6', 175, used to be 267,,,fit better everywhere now!
Great news and good for you !!!

I'm working on that but, then I'll have to pad the side bolsters so I don't slip around.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 02-05-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 AM
BobbyC3
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Glad I'm 5'9"
Old 02-05-2012, 01:27 AM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'4" tall, now weigh about 200 lbs. Was pushing 250 lbs. back in my beer drinking days. Plenty of room. Keep drivers seat all the way down and all the way back. Since I don't use any of the power seat options, have yet to deal with the classic C5 'wobbly seat' effect.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
dood73
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag in my initial post, but in the one coupe that I fiddled with the seat a bit, I noticed I had to move it all the way down and back to keep my head down a comfortable distance from the ceiling. Didn't adjust the seat angle - maybe that was the answer.

I was wondering if that was common or if it was just me since I even sit kinda high in my pickup truck with my head a couple inches from that ceiling. Maybe I need to learn to slouch a bit.

As far as the seat width and distance to the wheel that didn't seem to be a problem. But of course some seat time would make that more clear. Probably takes a fair amount of fiddling to get everything just right.

I heard that the C6 was less "roomy" which to me was a bit of a surprise. But hearing that from a number of people, I guess it must be the truth. That's cool with me because I really like the looks of the C5 much better. The elimination of the pop-up headlights killed it for me too. I like the idea of the more power, but seems like there are a million mods to do that on the C5.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM
dood73
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Hey Dood. I'm not real close to you but if you are ever in my area I'd gladly give you all the time you need to get comfortable. With a memory seat in my Z06 I really don't mind having it moved around. Another one of us "Jersey Boys' is up in Sussex, codename Striper. He's doing some work on his car now but if you search for him I'm sure he would correspond favorably.
As for me, I'm just under 6' and 200. and extremely comfortable. Years ago my Chiropractor insisted I establish a new seating position to help with my back condition I had. I sit much closer and higher than the average person my size, and I still have lots of room and comfort in my C5.
That is extremely nice to offer. Might have to take you up on it. I work in Morris County so I'm not far away at all.

Around here there seems to be a distinct lack of Corvettes at dealerships. They even don't have much on the lots as far as new C6's, forget the C5's.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dood73
That is extremely nice to offer. Might have to take you up on it. I work in Morris County so I'm not far away at all.

Around here there seems to be a distinct lack of Corvettes at dealerships. They even don't have much on the lots as far as new C6's, forget the C5's.
Konner Chevrolet has a few C6's on the lot. I just remembered I have a fellow club member who is about your size and drives his C5 all the time.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

one other thing

when most anyone big gets in they have to learn to lower themselves gently in (if there's such a thing)

VS:

1. crashing down literally breaking different parts of the seat

2. first sitting on the outside edge with all their weight breaking the Edge ...

3. ...

kinda sorta
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

6'3 235 very comfortable for me, but I do keep the drivers seat all the way back. (no seat rock also)
Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
raencarr
Heel & Toe

I'm 6'4, 210 lbs.; the car has plenty of leg room. For my size I can say that it's very comfortable, can't speak for others tho.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My friend has a C6 and he says my C5 feels like it has a bit more room but neither is an issue as far as fit for him. BTW he is 6'7'' and normal build.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,427 Likes on 14,043 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The only real way to know is for you to go and try out a C5. Not long ago I was 230 lbs/6 foot and I had no problems at all feeling comfortable in the C5 - but 50 more pounds obviously will make a difference. The seats have a lot of adjustment in them and the leg room is very good. If I had to guess, I'd say you would fit fine in the car.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

In most of these threads it settles out that guys up to 6'4" have no problem height wise and as far as "weight" its usually not a problem at even very high numbers but Chest/Shoulder room may be a little tight if you're built like refrigerator nelson and dont need a jack to change a tire.

BTW the coupe has the most headroom (even more with the glass roof which doesn't have the liner) and the very the most legroom.

vert frc coupe
Front Head Room, in. 37.6 37.8 37.9

Max. Front Leg Room, in. 42.8 42.7 42.7

Get notified of new replies

To Space inside car

Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Bailout13500
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being 6'3" 215 and just bought my first Vette I drove at least 75 cars before I found the one that "fit"

I decided on a C5 Convertible. You definately have to watch out for the ablove mentione "seat crash" and learn to ease into the seat or that side will just simply flatten out. Somehting I noticed early on in my search.

The coupe did have a little more room wiht the glass roof but my head rubbing even with a baseball hat on has not been an issue with the ragtop yet.

Good luck and don't be afraid to drive a ton of cars. I literally shopped for 6 months before finding the perrfect car for me!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 AM
red-in-la
Instructor

Dang, I feel like I'm swimming in room in this car. My comparison is a miata though
Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I am 6'4" Was 235 when I got my C5. No problem with fit. I also have a C6 and same.

Quick Reply: Space inside car