Sponsored by:

Regrets of letting someone drive your C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
I've let my Wife, son, both daughters, son in-law & best buddy drive mine any time they want. Its just a car that's why I call it the beater.
Me too. I let my sisters, cousin, etc. and whoever else comes to visit drive it all they want. For some reason my dad always declines. He loves to tool around in my 49 chevy pickup, though. That's what gets him excited.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 AM
almost had 1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brother ,father,mother,and sister in law that's about the only people that i let I'm only 21, if someone does something dumb, I can afford a new one.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 AM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
Its just a car... No different then my Honda. I have let many people drive my Corvette. And my corvette is a TTI Twin Turbo with Nitrous.
Can I drive it too someday.......................?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Some of you guys need to get on xanax or something. If you stress this much of something as unimportant as a car I would hate to think what would happen if a real issue came up.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread caught my eye, and I saw it was four pages long. I thought, Man, there's gonna be a lot of horror stories in here.

Not that I'm disappointed, because nobody likes to hear of bad things happening to our cars, but unless I'm missing a story, I only counted two occasions when other than the driver actually damaged the car - and both of them were while parking!

I've got two stories about other 'Vette drivers who surely regretted their choices. Back in high school, a classmate let his girlfriend drive his pristine '73 Corvette. She swerved to avoid hitting a dog and hit a tree instead. Totaled. Then my brother-in-law let his 20's-something daughter drive his '78 and she totaled it. (Both drivers were OK.)

The only time I regretted letting someone else drive was on the way North for Xmas. We had owned the car for just one month, and my wife had less than 2 hours experience with it. She was passing a line of cars through what we later learned was a known speed trap. It was just a bit foggy so we got pulled over and we got a ticket for driving too fast for road conditions. All this 3 days before Xmas. "Merry Christmas, Ma'am. Sign here."

Maybe the solution is just not to let women drive Corvettes.

(Oh, I have the feeling I'm gonna regret that statement!)
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

My good friend has a G8 and thought he had a 4-door vette. I let
him drive my vette...............he doen't think he has a 4-door vette
anymore.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:16 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have never let someone drive any of my Vettes without me in it.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
BlackY2KCorvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ most car shows the term comes to mind.....
HELL YEAH ITS FAST.AND NO YOU CANT DRIVE IT!!
comes to mind :-).a punk kid @ work said to me can i take it out for a spin?? i quickly said HELL NO!....his response was....its just a car!!....So i said ....trade ya.....for a spin with your GF......he said Hell No!! I said you get the idea now??
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rag93vette
my ex-wife drove it a couple times. i taught my girlfriend how to drive a manual transmission on it too.
Umm just wondering if this happened in the same time frame? That would explain the whole "Ex- Wife" deal.

My son, and my corvette mechanic, no one else has asked, and I don't ask other people to drive their cars. Who knows how many have drove it before I bought it.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by dannyman

Really? Drive the vette?

I don't think so! Only have 1 FOB and the memory is set for me.

So; no, I don't have any bad experience to share!

Dan
^what he said.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

I taught my wife how to drive in my 95. No one really drives it.she was awesome.respected the power and when we would go to Oklahoma she would drive.with my frc she doesn't know stick plus she has her civic.i let my mom drive my frc cause she always wanted to drive a white corvette.and very very very cautious and respectful.and today my brother was staring at it and asked if he can start it.well its my brother.of course.he was just in love and i told him to take it around the.block.he didn't even turn up the radio or go out of third.my family has great respect for my cars.but what really let me know the value people hold on these cars happened when my brother came back.he was crying.he said he would give anything to be me.which kinda touched Me.he was shaking because he had.never been in a car like that.and he kept on smiling.regardless of the kind of car.the look on his face was worth all of the marbles.he then walked over to my 95 and told me he wanted it.it taught me alot today.i understand they are just cars in the long run.and to some they are like gold.but when u can fulfill someone's wish and make their day then its worth it.just my opinion.but other than them 3 no.no one.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Wait.i take that back.i had too many margaritas at pizza hut and had my friend drive me home.so yeah that was one time.but i am never going to drive buzzed.regardless of the car
Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 AM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife, my dad, my roommate, two coworkers...that's about it. However, anyone who wants to can drive, especially if I ride along; my roommate couldn't drive a stick so I was teaching him, so even experience isn't necessary.

It's actually my wife's daily driver though; I have to drive a work pickup so she gets the good-fuel-economy car. I don't sweat it; she's a good driver.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4gone
Wait.i take that back.i had too many margaritas at pizza hut and had my friend drive me home.so yeah that was one time.but i am never going to drive buzzed.regardless of the car
You DOG, you!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Haha well Im responsible.ill let someone drive me home in my car instead of putting someone life at risk
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
My wife drive ours quite often. If I can trust her with her teeth in close contact with my favorite thing, I can pretty much trust her driving something that is replacable.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Phanni
My wife drive ours quite often. If I can trust her with her teeth in close contact with my favorite thing, I can pretty much trust her driving something that is replacable.
You let your wife chew on your gear shift lever?? I'm lucky if I can get mine to touch the wiper lever. (Well, maybe intermittently.)

Get notified of new replies

To Regrets of letting someone drive your C5

Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Generally don't have a problem with someone driving my car, but now that the supercharger is on things are different. I let one friend drive it and he had no issues. Got on it hard in a couple gears. No wheelspin, no drama, perfect shifts.

I let another friend drive it and the first thing he does is floor it in 1st gear. Lots of smoke, lots of rev-limiter, and lots of not actually moving anywhere. Probably won't let him ever drive again.

It's just a car, but there is a safety factor as well...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I am not too picky with mine. With 500+rwhp and Spec 3 clutch, not just anyone can get in it and go. Most family members have driven it. I did let my oldest daughter do a track day at VIR and another at CMP this year. Thought she would go faster than she did after all her talk beforehand. My buddy that help me build the engine takes it every now and then on dates. It is just a car to me. Now the TA, that was a whole different story there.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM
DarkBlueC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mainly just family drives it, with me in it. Dad and Cousin.

Oh, and my neighbor. We wanted to take each other's cars for a spin...each rode with the other while doing it. His fun car is a 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo. I love Corvettes, and I love my Corvette especially, but man oh man what a beast that 911 Turbo is!

Quick Reply: Regrets of letting someone drive your C5